Chasetown v Villa XI - 8th July 7.45pm

Kingman

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

He’s going to be some player! I hope he gets some senior minutes this year

Is he though? I mean, we all thought so, clearly has huge natural ability but he's 19 already. How's he not played any first team minutes (cup v Pool doesn't count) for Villa yet if he's that good? How's he struggled out on loan with much lesser teams?

I'm not in the business of writing players off too early and I dearly want him to be brilliant for us, but it's hugely concerning for me that he hasn't kicked on and got any meaningful minutes under his belt for us yet.

Carney made his first team debut at what, 17? Archer also at 17.

Barry needs to push on this season or he'll not make it at Villa. Maybe elsewhere, but not here.

Edited by est1874

I think there's a bit of a myth or confusion as to what age players are breaking through, there aren't many teenagers doing a fat lot of anything in the PL and those who are are seemingly either the pick of the bunch at the top 6 or maybe just the top 6 have the luxury of bringing them on with games won

You look at that u19s euros winning squad and barely any of them are playing, 2 or 3 Cup appearances here and there, there's about 25 premier league appearances in the entire squad and chuk has half of them 

The 5 sub rule might shake it all up

• Like 3

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Is he though? I mean, we all thought so, clearly has huge natural ability but he's 19 already. How's he not played any first team minutes (cup v Pool doesn't count) for Villa yet if he's that good? How's he struggled out on loan with much lesser teams?

I'm not in the business of writing players off too early and I dearly want him to be brilliant for us, but it's hugely concerning for me that he hasn't kicked on and got any meaningful minutes under his belt for us yet.

Barry needs to push on this season or he'll not make it at Villa. Maybe elsewhere, but not here.

Carney was physically developed and stand out player for his age. Archer was 5 minute cameo in league cup and then was loaned out to non-league. I mean what screams he was going to make it when at the Moors? 

Barry has made huge strides this year in physical development and made huge strides in playing mens football after having unfortunate time at badly managed ipswich team. He still on very on track to becoming a pro and anything above that we will see. He has four year contract with us left to run, so we have time to see how it goes.

Edited by Villa_Stateside

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think there's a bit of a myth or confusion as to what age players are breaking through, there aren't many teenagers doing a fat lot of anything in the PL and those who are are seemingly either the pick of the bunch at the top 6 or maybe just the top 6 have the luxury of bringing them on with games won

You look at that u19s euros winning squad and barely any of them are playing, 2 or 3 Cup appearances here and there, there's about 25 premier league appearances in the entire squad and chuk has half of them 

The 5 sub rule might shake it all up

Especially in midfield. Jacob played his whole season at the age of 20 . Carney had a prem start when he was still 17 and Tim got one while he was 18. 

Gallagher is 22 now and considered a youngster still. Jacob can play the whole of next season and still be younger than he is now. 

The future is very bright innit 

Livramento was the standout at 18 last season until his injury but it seems thats how Southampton are going these days. Take on highly rated youngsters from the City and Chelsea academies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

I agree that he will have to have a better season than last but he has so much to his game already that is going to be backed up by his physical change hopefully. 

It also doesnt help that his best position is coming in off the left of attack where we have plenty of competition. 

The age players kick on differs from player to player. All i will say about Barry is he has all the tools already. Lets give him the chance to see if he kicks on naturally  on loan this season and maybe even next. Then in a perfect world he will be ready for minutes at the ancient age of 21 and a bit 

On 09/07/2022 at 00:24, MWARLEY2 said:

I agree that he will have to have a better season than last but he has so much to his game already that is going to be backed up by his physical change hopefully. 

It also doesnt help that his best position is coming in off the left of attack where we have plenty of competition. 

The age players kick on differs from player to player. All i will say about Barry is he has all the tools already. Lets give him the chance to see if he kicks on naturally  on loan this season and maybe even next. Then in a perfect world he will be ready for minutes at the ancient age of 21 and a bit 

Off he goes to a League One team again. If he doesn't do bits for them this season he's had it at Villa I reckon 

• 4 months later...
Â