U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

i think its interesting that apart from his physical size, El Ghazi doesnt look out of place, and to be brutally honest not as technically proficient, as easily half of these u21s playing.

Thought we did ok in the first half. Middlesbrough had a fair amount of territory and possession but we had that extra bit of quality in the form of El Ghazi. 3-0 did flatter us though. When O'Reilly went off injured it looked like a change of system to a 4-2-3-1 and we lost the midfield until we switched back to 4-3-3 after Hart came on. Unfortunately the score was 3-3 by that point.

O'Reilly has moments of real quality but too much loose play in between. Chrisene struggled initially then improved. Raikhy, Feeney, Marschall and Revan were decent I thought. El Ghazi was too good for them in the first half then stopped trying in the second.

Still no sign of Bogarde. Cannot remember the last time I saw him play.

I don't really get all the ''typical Villa and 'they're trying to be like the first team' reactions, unless my memory is bad i can't remember us throwing away many three goal leads, maybe a few two goal leads but no more so than most other teams.

As I said this kind of result isn't unsual for U21 football, as it isn't like first team football where as soon as they get a decent lead they start thinking tactically about how they can hang on, as there's less emphasis at this level on results, and often subs won't be made with the result of the game in mind, it will be more about what's needed for the individual players' development.

In one of the other matches last night Sunderland were beating Norwich 2-0 but lost 3-2, and Leeds beat Derby 5-2, there's just more goals in general.

Watching these games or following the scoreline I'm never confident of a win unless we're at least winning by two or three goals with not much more than ten minutes to go.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1