U21 Development League 2022/2023

BOF

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is how this season will go I'm afraid - we can write it off.

We're playing next years' team a year early, they're still kids.

good experience i guess.

The team today and the one we put out against West Brom aren't actually that young, Smith, Pierre, and Triston Rowe the only scholars/pre-scholar, Pierr the rest are all above scholarship age, they're now too old for the U18s, so if they're going to play at all it has to be for the U21s.

It's more that they're inexperienced at this level because a lot of them were never deemed good enough to play an age up at this level whilst still with the U18s, or at least not on a regular basis, whereas our most promising academy players will be promoted to the U21s when they're still first year scholars, or even younger in a few cases, see most of the FA Youth Cup winning team, and then more recently the likes of Feeney, Smith, Barber, Patterson, Kadan Young, and Triston Rowe.

We might actually improve when some of the younger players such as Wilson, Simpson, Kellyman, Patterson, Kadan Young and so on come into the team, although results will still be up and down as was even the case with the FA Youth Cup winning team when they were playing at this level at a young age.

The likes of Feeney, Bogarde, and Revan coming back to fitness might help matters as well at least in the league, but always a chance that they too could go out on loan in January.

I don't read too much into these EFL Trophy games in terms of results, last season we did incredibly well, but the U21 teams taking beatings is pretty much the norm in this competition, it's more about the experience for the individual players...

if you go back two seasons we lost 8-1 to Sunderland, of that team a number of them are currently doing well, Kesler-Hayden, Aaron Ramsey, and Philogene-Bidace are playing in the Championship, Jacob Ramsey is playing in the Premier League, and Chukwuemeka has had his big money move to Chelsea, Archer also came off the bench that day.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, messi11 said:

5-0 loss and out of the cup at the group stages! Got 1 dead rubber game left against Crawley. We should play the kids in that. 

If we go any younger...

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is how this season will go I'm afraid - we can write it off.

We're playing next years' team a year early, they're still kids.

This is my sentemonies exactly. I think this is a fairer way of putting it. It's hopefully a gap year. We've got the stuff we can't loan and the kids who can't compete yet. Either way the results will be terrible. We'll follow only to the extent to which the kids will develop

Stats updated. A few firsts in that match.  Kobei Moore, having made his match squad debut against Pompey the other day, made his starting debut against Saints.  At the back, James Wright starting in goal was a first this season and his place on the bench was taken by matchday debutant Josh Lane.  Dylan Mitchell was a debutant midfielder on the bench and he came on during the match, and finally Charlie Lutz also made his season's debut and came on from the bench.  All great development but just goes to show you the steps up everyone is having to make this season. It really won't be a competitive season. I hope the leaps forward in player development make up for it, and they probably will in fairness.

• Like 1

Just the 2 scheduled fixtures for the next week. Funnily enough we play in 2 of the next 3 scheduled fixtures.

Friday 14/10
18:00 Aston Villa(8)  v Newcastle Utd(6)

Monday 17/10
19:00 Notts Forest(7) v Stoke City(9)