Ideas needed - Mrs Dave’s 40th

Genie

Hi all, the pressure is on for me to do something nice / special for the wife’s big day.

The facts:

-> The special day is at the end January.

-> We have 2 children (12 / 10) and ideally we’d like to do something together. 

-> There’s also the in-laws (Mother in law, Father in law, Sister in law, her fella and their son (7).

-> Shes not one for lots of fuss or fanfare, a party is definitely out.

-> We don’t like to leave the children so she wouldn’t enjoy going away without them.

I was thinking along the lines of some kind of show and dinner? We could get some transport into Birmingham possibly and watch something before a nice meal somewhere?

Does anyone know anything that is on in January? Cirque de Soleil would have been great but its not local in January.

Train to London on Saturday AM.  There are some cheap prices on the more obscure routes.  

Upgrade to 1st class on the day. Normally quite cheap.  

Lion King Show.  ( or any show the kids will like) 

B&B or hotel for the night. 

Pick a museum or Art Gallery for Sunday.  Natural History Museum is great.  Free. 

Train back Sunday 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Train to London on Saturday AM.  There are some cheap prices on the more obscure routes.  

Upgrade to 1st class on the day. Normally quite cheap.  

Lion King Show.  ( or any show the kids will like) 

B&B or hotel for the night. 

Pick a museum or Art Gallery for Sunday.  Natural History Museum is great.  Free. 

Train back Sunday 

Thank you, I’ll have a look into this

Peaky Blinders would have me believe that your options in Birmingham are horse racing, boxing, drinking and fascism. So a day of sport and light genocide should be good for all the family. 

• Haha 2

When I lived in England, flights to Rome were cheaper than the train to London.

All depends on how much you want to spend though.

My wife hates being the centre of attention, so I've done something as simple as a BBQ with friends and their kids (kids play together, you get to drink) but with a ban on presents. Clever friends got around this by instead gifting her a night out with the girls.

I've found the thing she most appreciates is not having to organise or do anything. So I usually make a plan that involves zero thinking for her and as little parental responsibility as possible (kids having a good time but she doesn't have to watch them). Even better if her friends partners do the same so she can eat, have a few drinks with her friend's and they don't have to worry about anything.

• Thanks 1

Â