Rubbish claims to fame

GarethRDR

and finally, the obligatory UB40 one....

The rasta who plays the saxophone gazumped my parents on a house in Kings Heath about 18 years ago.

Um, the sax player in UB40 is white with ginger hair, name of Brian Travers and a Villa fan

Really? I never paid them that much attention TBH. Wasn't his name Astro or something? Could have sworn he played the sax but I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the subject :D

Astro plays various brass instruments occasionally - but not the Sax. So there :)

Another rubbish claim to fame is that my ex next door neighbour's brother was the keyboard player in 80s (I think) band Shakatak.

my best friend from school was friends with their manager and got me their records .. also Sharon Redd and Mezzaforte as he managed them .. I was the coolest kid in my class for having "Never gonna give you up" and "Garden party" months before they got released

I installed An Apple Macintosh at Jonathon Ross's house before he was really famous and before Jane was quite so trashy .. (least I don't remember her being trashy at that time but I'm talking 18 years ago ) He had a cat called Harvey .. which is a name he later gave to one of his children i seem to recall ..

And I was present when Monie Love recorded "It's a shame" or whatever it was called ... to be fair to her she had an amazing voice in the studio don't know why she didn't become bigger than she did

and Also and this is probably the real clincher .. I installed the Apple Mac and was present for the first ever modem album recording .. Buffy Sainte-Marie recorded it in Hawaii and it was transmitted over to the studio in London (belonged to a guy named Chris Birkitt ) .. where he mixed it and twiddled a few knobs before sending it back to her and so forth ... kinda of the first Internet album ..this was in 1990

++ Disclaimer ++ i couldn't vouch that this was the first ever ever time this was done but it was certainly what I was given to believe at the time , so I am fully prepared to be corrected on this

Now do I have to get out the really really boring ones .....

I once confused one of China's biggest popstars for a glamourous intern and asked her to do some photocopying for me which she dutyfully oblidged our of politeness I guess. In my defence she had been hanging around the office all day without being introduced to anybody and was herself using the photocopier at the time.

At the same job I mistook a rather famous American Rapper for the Air Conditioning repair guy, the VP of A&R was none too happy.

One of my buddies went to college with Jerry Yang and David Filo who founded Yahoo and who himself founded a very sucessful tech company around the same time.

I know a lot of dance musics biggest names and keep plenty of potential career ending secrets under wraps.

I was once on ABC's 20/20 program as part of an experiment where I tried to pick 5 poofters out of a lineup of 10 and failed miserably (later to discover they were all bloody poofs).

My neice hit the tabloids at age 8 for calling some politicians 'bastards' live on a family tv program.

...and too many more amusing anecdotes not worth mentioning except when short of conversation material.

I know a lot of dance musics biggest names and keep plenty of potential career ending secrets under wraps.

assuming their careers are now over , can you start a thread of them for us .. I do like gossip and popbitch just don't supply enough these days

I met Tony Stephens when he was Villa commercial manager. I took a book in that he'd written a few years previous and got it signed. Cant remember why I went to his office in the North Stand (gettin old) but he was a very decent bloke

following on from RJW's Villa related one

I helped Doug Ellis out of a cloakroom at Southampton

Was in the corporate hospitality bit ( was when we came back and beat them 3-2 ) it would have been around the time of his ops when he was even more frail and weak than usual .. He thought he was going to the toilets but walked into a cupboard instead ..so I had to help him out and point him in the right direction ... He did similar at half time instead of going into the stands to take his seat he managed to get lost

yeah ..it was amusing

I once took a parking space that Andy Johnson (the Albion midfielder) had just pulled out of.

My Dad's car used to be owned by Damien Hurst.

Andy Gray's daughter went to my primary school for about a year. I'll never forget Andy Gray walking into our classroom when they were being shown round. Most of the lads jaws hit the floor.

And I never knew that about Shakatak (him being close to John Peel). His niece lives there now, which is an even more rubbish claim to fame. I have just remembered that when I was little he bottomed out his Ferrari on our driveway (which is shared with the next door neighbours), which was quite funny. No doubt caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to the underneath.

Was at the same bus stop as Doug Ellis when got lost coming out of the Birmingham Internation train station his driver was waiting at New Street waiting for him so he come and sat at the bus stop to wait for his driver to come and get him

got two really

1) used to deliver papers to Martin Bennett, west brom CD

2) charlie the central news weather forecaster who was on BRMB early mornings lived above the newsagents I used to deliver from, and I fancied her like mad

OOps double post

I have one that I don't like to admit

But for the followers of politics it may be something :wink:

John Major's "real" family name is Ball

If you trace back through my nan's family (dads side) you come across a family name of ball, and there is a link ........ :-)

My dad gave Darren Garforth (25 England caps, National and European champion at club level, 300+ appearances for Leicester Tigers including being the first player to chalk up 200 appearances in the professional era's Premier League, and famous member of the "abc club") a lift to his trial at Leicester. On the back of a motorbike.

I met Geddy Lee, lead singer of Rush, shortly prior to being ejected from the arena for a dubious backsatge pass...

I had the joy of heckling Brian Mulroney, the much loathed former Canadian Prime Minister, shortly prior to being bookended by two very burly gentlemen with tight suits, earpieces and suspicious bulges under their arms...

I went to high school in Ottawa with Steve Yzerman, fromer Detroit Red Wings captain, hall of fame member and winner of a number of Stanley Cups... We didn't get along.

I once confused one of China's biggest popstars for a glamourous intern and asked her to do some photocopying for me which she dutyfully oblidged our of politeness I guess. In my defence she had been hanging around the office all day without being introduced to anybody and was herself using the photocopier at the time.

May I ask who she was? if you know?

My bro went to the same school as Josh Lewsy.

I once sang on national TV, live! and in front of the queen.

my dad ex colleague's daughter won beauty pageant in hong kong, now she is a bit of a star there. apparently we met a few times as a kid.

following on from RJW's Villa related one

I helped Doug Ellis out of a cloakroom at Southampton

Was in the corporate hospitality bit ( was when we came back and beat them 3-2 ) it would have been around the time of his ops when he was even more frail and weak than usual .. He thought he was going to the toilets but walked into a cupboard instead ..so I had to help him out and point him in the right direction ... He did similar at half time instead of going into the stands to take his seat he managed to get lost

yeah ..it was amusing

There's a News of the World Headline in there somewhere.....

Mystery Traveller encourages Ice-Cream haired Millionaire to come out of the closet.

Â