Rubbish claims to fame

GarethRDR

Oh and another..how could I forget. An old man round my way...well his dad was a scout for Wolves for over 30 years and say his dad turned down Martin O'Neill for Wolves when he was at Lisburn Distilery.

I've got a few but in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I'll post some of the lamer ones.

My mate used to baby-sit for Ricky Ross (lead singer of Deacon Blue and co-writer of such awful songs as "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt).

I was once in the Evening Mail photographed wearing a pair of polystyrene skis in the middle of the Northfield baths.

I did the dying fly next to Chris Tarrant on Tizwas aged 6.

My cousin married the cousin of someone who plays Ice Hockey for the Edmonton Oilers.

and finally, the obligatory UB40 one....

The rasta who plays the saxophone gazumped my parents on a house in Kings Heath about 18 years ago.

My head teacher told Gary Lineker he'd never play for England

What a coincidence, so did mine! :D

I think you'll find the story was actually that he told him he'd never make it as a professional footballer. He'll never live that one down!

Another rubbish claim to fame is that my ex next door neighbour's brother was the keyboard player in 80s (I think) band Shakatak.

My school friend lived on the same street as Nigel Mansell (when he was at Lotus).

My sister-in-law is related to ex Villan Peter Aldiss who holds the record for longest headed goal.

I've been to Eric Claptons local.

The rasta who plays the saxophone gazumped my parents on a house in Kings Heath about 18 years ago.

Um, the sax player in UB40 is white with ginger hair, name of Brian Travers and a Villa fan

Um, the sax player in UB40 is white with ginger hair, name of Brian Travers and a Villa fan

Really? I never paid them that much attention TBH. Wasn't his name Astro or something? Could have sworn he played the sax but I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the subject :D

I've been on the same flight with Sepp Blatter. (Zurich to Birmingham)

I've been on the same flight as Mike Tysons bodyguard. (Houston to Las Vegas)

My sister was in a club in London... and very drunk.

She saw 2 members of McFly standing on the stairs.

In her drunken state, she thought they were Busted, and started shouting Busted at them. They weren't too happy.

Nigel Mansell went to my sisters secondary school.
Pshaw. Nigel Mansell went to MY school. At the same time as me, to boot. He was a bit of a star go-kart driver, even then.

And my Dad played for Tranmere reserves.

I was at the Wyre Forest Glades when Princess Di opened it, and as a result was on midlands today running into the pool with dozens of other kids.

My dad once taught Harriers ledge Paul 'Ocker' Davis.

When 'roadying' (basically ligging) for my brother's band at a Festival, I watched England vs Ecuador at the 2006 World Cup with various members of Depeche Mode, and numerous 'celebs' such as Peaches Geldof. There were loads of others about too mind, not just me, the Mode and Peachie, as I now call her.

A mate of mine had the best one I ever heard. His cousin, Nige once punched Engelburt Humperdink over a parking dispute in Leicester. Caught him right in the tache apparently :D

My head teacher told Gary Lineker he'd never play for England

What a coincidence, so did mine! :D

I think you'll find the story was actually that he told him he'd never make it as a professional footballer. He'll never live that one down!

Another rubbish claim to fame is that my ex next door neighbour's brother was the keyboard player in 80s (I think) band Shakatak.

I bought John Gale's car for 300 quid about three years ago. Got very drunk with two Villa mates the night MON joined us and in a burst of misplaced enthusiasm completely trashed it. Still got 100 quid for it from a passing gypo some weeks later so 200 well spent!

• Like 1

Totally random factoid, the keyboard player in Shakatak was a very good friend of John Peel, I even know why I know that, I remember Peel announcing it when introducing them on TOTP once - the shit my brain remembers does my head in at times, why on earth have I remembered that, what use can it be, isn't there something better it could remember to replace such trivial rubbish arrrrgggghhh

my teacher won mastermind and then the international Mastermind

1981: Leslie Grout

(i recall it being more Commonwealth than international mind )

I scored a goal at Highbury in a work / charity type match and Ray Parlour and Tony Adams happened to be there and applauded it ( modesty apart , it was a great goal :-) )

I was interviewed by the BBC etc etc in Ostrava for the story about the first English club back in Europe after the ban and also by SkySports before the India v England 1 day match in Delhi ( sadly I predicted an England win)

did I win ? or do i have to resort to the really boring ones :-)

Â