Targett, Matthew Robert
Traore, Bertrand Isidore
Vassilev, Indiana Denchev
Watkins, Oliver George Arthur
Wright, Tyreik Samuel
Young, Bradley Jamie Ethan
Zych, Oliwier 

Premier League

It's a really exciting squad when you see it listed altogether like that.

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Surprised Bridge and Revan have been released. 

Why on Revan? Guy is early 20s and his loan spells never suggested he was going to become serious squad player for us otherwise he'd have been hitting top end league one/bottom end championship.

One that does surprise me actually is Onodi. He had a brilliant game in the cup v Liverpool. Best loan we gave him was Bromsgrove. Only 20 so odd one to me unless another club have offered him a better pathway.

Would be good to get a young keeper breaking through into our first team squad as that's rarely happened in last 20 years.

Seems Preston are being linked to Sinisalo so that might be one to watch over next two months.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Why on Revan? Guy is early 20s and his loan spells never suggested he was going to become serious squad player for us otherwise he'd have been hitting top end league one/bottom end championship.

One that does surprise me actually is Onodi. He had a brilliant game in the cup v Liverpool. Best loan we gave him was Bromsgrove. Only 20 so odd one to me unless another club have offered him a better pathway.

Would be good to get a young keeper breaking through into our first team squad as that's rarely happened in last 20 years.

Seems Preston are being linked to Sinisalo so that might be one to watch over next two months.

Think from what Cutler said in the interviews they got the young keepers in with the first team to see if they have the right attitude and mentality to match the ability. Seems since then Sinisalo has been much more part of the 1st team set up and Onodi faded so maybe they just fancied one more than the other. 

I assume we'll have at least 2 goalkeepers coming through the academy every season from each age group and we can't keep them all every year. 

Sinisalo had a much better loan (to Ayr IIRC?) than Onodi. It was a bit disappointing the latter went to Bromsgrove (though I enjoyed watching him when they won big earlier in the season) but for all we know they might have been the only team interested and promising game time.

He's got a bit about him, and I imagine he'll have a career. Sinisalo though is a much better prospect.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Vassilev must have an unlimited contract at Villa 😂

Wow, yeah that's a shock. Seems highly unlikely to make it as a top flight playar.  Maybe they feel they can flog him for something. 

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow, yeah that's a shock. Seems highly unlikely to make it as a top flight playar.  Maybe they feel they can flog him for something. 

Think we loaned him back to MLS, i thought I read when we loaned him his contract was up

Vassilev signed a two year deal in 2020, and the statement on the website at the time said that he will be staying with the club until June 2022.

For whatever reason the club hasn't published any details regarding the retained/released players on the official website, unlike pretty much every other club, but when they do eventually get around to it I suspect we will get more information on the circumstances surrounding some of the players, McBride, Zito, and Sewell completely missing from the list submitted to the Premier League in May could potentially be added to the released list, and some of the others we've offered deals to might have signed by now, and maybe we will get more information regarding Vassilve.

It will be interesting to see how we use Campton-Sturridge, turns 21 this coming season so I can't see him being a regular for our U23s, and because he's been injured the last two season and hasn't played much U23 football because of his injuries it's probably going to be hard to find a loan move for him. It seems if the academy players miss a year because of injury, then we offer them a contract extension to make up for that missed year, which I think is a good thing.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Maybe, like the rest of us, the club just forgot about him :)

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Surely we had to give him an extension until the end of his loan in the MLS?

I dont think we have too, can loan him until the end of the contract. Thats usually the way

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think we have too, can loan him until the end of the contract. Thats usually the way

Right, but he's still on loan, so he must have a contract that goes at least that long. I mean I assume we're paying a portion of his wages.

On 10/06/2022 at 17:04, useless said:

A few players missing from that list Patrick Zito, Dewain Sewell and Caolan McBride.

All the players on the released list other than Ashley Young have been removed from the official site now.

But Zito, McBride, and Sewell still there, whether that's any indication that they're staying I don't know for sure.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

All the players on the released list other than Ashley Young have been removed from the official site now.

But Zito, McBride, and Sewell still there, whether that's any indication that they're staying I don't know for sure.

Have you seen McBride play Useless? He’s been a Villa player for quite some time but I haven’t seen him play. I was hoping you or anyone else tell me more about him please 

I can't recall having seen him play, he's barely played above U18s but next season will be too old for that level so might see more of him for the U23s. When we signed him he was described as an attacking midfielder, but has been playing for the U18s as DM or sometimes filling in at right-back. Having just googled him, it was reported that he signed a three year deal, that was two years ago, so if that's right he definitley won't be released this summer.

• Thanks 1

Â