Should I Just Whip My Hair Off?

alreadyexists

Hi all,

I’m 37 and my crown is thinning quite badly, my hairline isn’t receding too badly but the bald spot on the crown is pretty thin… long story short, should I just whip my hair off and go for a number 3 on the clippers all over? Or would it look worse? I don’t really want to bic it or shave close to the scalp, so I was thinking number 3 or 5 would look better.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Did mine when I was 29 or so.

The issue is that you don’t know the shape of your head until you do it. 
So, it might look great, or you might look like that dude from the goonies.

I’d say, do it, but buy a hat just in case.

• Thanks 1

I took the plunge last year when I came to the conclusion that the only person I’d been fooling was myself. The sunroof had been open for a long old while. 

Number 2 all over. Unless you’ve got a weird shaped head, it’ll look fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Hi all,

I’m 37 and my crown is thinning quite badly, my hairline isn’t receding too badly but the bald spot on the crown is pretty thin… long story short, should I just whip my hair off and go for a number 3 on the clippers all over? Or would it look worse? I don’t really want to bic it or shave close to the scalp, so I was thinking number 3 or 5 would look better.

Mate, I went through this exact thing in the past few years, the bald spot on the top of my head was getting bigger all the time and honestly, shaving it all off was the best thing.

It looks better and is much easier to manage, I guarantee it’s the way forward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Mate, I went through this exact thing in the past few years, the bald spot on the top of my head was getting bigger all the time and honestly, shaving it all off was the best thing.

Ah, thanks dude

Shave it off. Worst case is you can grow (some of) it back if you don’t like it.

Then change your username to alreadyexits in honour of your lost locks 😬

Edited by theboyangel
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Same here, totally agree.  I'll admit it felt a bit jarring at first, but really used to it now.  I started with a grade 3, but found I was much happier just using the clippers with no guard on at all, going as close as I could without doing the full bic shave.  I now feel my hair has got out of control if it gets to 1cm long.  The hassle of trying to maintain thinning hair is just not worth it.  Shaving it off was so freeing.  Just remember to wear a hat on sunny days.  I learned that the hard way

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Hi all,

Thank god, I thought this was going to be a question about wearing a Merkin😳

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Same here, totally agree.  I'll admit it felt a bit jarring at first, but really used to it now.  I started with a grade 3, but found I was much happier just using the clippers with no guard on at all, going as close as I could without doing the full bic shave.  I now feel my hair has got out of control if it gets to 1cm long.  The hassle of trying to maintain thinning hair is just not worth it.  Shaving it off was so freeing.  Just remember to wear a hat on sunny days.  I learned that the hard way

^^this^^

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Not deliberately but unconsciously I was being a bit silly. 

I'd just gone for a decade or more asking for a 3 on top then 2 on the sides.  Suddenly realised there was **** all in the top where I had been asking for a 3. Now it's just 2 all over.  Doh. 

• Like 2

I was 23 or 24 and had hair all the way down by back just above me arse, used to be a little rocker I did, started receding and after a little mid day drinking session in the middle of summer being incredibly hot and sweaty I got home and shaved the lot off, best thing I ever did, made me look like a hooligan for a fair few years, now I just look like a fat completely bald bloke

• Like 1

I think shaving off is the best way to go, so much better than having a patch that becomes more and more obvious. Just own it and it as it gets bigger it will be less noticeable than if the hair was longer.

My experience was a bit different though as it was alopecia. I went to get my hair cut and when showing the back in the mirror I had a bald patch on the back of my head. My hair still covered it but a month or so later it had got a bit bigger so I just number 2'd it all over, which I'd often done previously anyway but there were more patches that weren't obvious before. That led to the razor coming out. So a full head of hair to bald in a couple of months. 40 now so was expecting to be bald by now but I was 23 at the time so bit of a shock.

• Thanks 1

Yep, grade 3 (or whatever you choose) - all over - go for it.

Started doing mine as routine when I was 31. Saved hundreds over the years and a bit of time messing about trying to get my hair looking not totally shit.

I eventually went shorter and shorter with it, I became that comfortable with it. No guard on my clippers, as short as I can get it. I keep a bit of stubble so it gives my mush a bit more character.

Going that short I have to cut it every week, otherwise it starts to look a bit untidy. But that’s the only real consideration I have.

• Like 2

Also, I picked one of these up during the last black Friday, normally £119 and it was reduced to £80 and I had £45 Amazon vouchers from work (can't remember the reason for them giving us them) anyways, I paid £35 for these and I bloody love them.

Skull Shaver Pitbull Gold PRO Men’s Electric Head and Face Shaver - Electric Razor for Head and Face (USB Charger) : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Skull Shaver Pitbull Gold Shaver for sale online | eBay

Â