Calvin Bassey

Wes

Aston Villa are ready to step up their pursuit of the Rangers defender Calvin Bassey after his standout season in which he starred in both the Europa League and Scottish Cup finals.

Steven Gerrard is set to raid his former club as Villa look to strengthen in defence ahead of the new season. The Midlands side announced on Monday that the highly-rated midfielder Boubacar Kamara had signed a five-year deal and that came only a week after Philippe Coutinho put pen to paper on a permanent deal.

Now they are looking to do more business, Gerrard having been given financial backing by the club’s owners, Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, and the 22-year-old Bassey fits the bill. Villa scouts were impressed by Bassey’s performance at Hampden and Gerrard is keen to reunite with the player after bringing him to Glasgow two years ago.

• Like 2

I have he's still a bit rough round the edges IMO. Might be in for a shock against PL forwards.

Not sure he'll be worth the money we'll have to pay to get him.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I have he's still a bit rough round the edges IMO. Might be in for a shock against PL forwards.

Judging players off one game either way is obviously naive, but I was seriously impressed with him.

Rangers fans also seem to think he is the best prospect they've had in a while, and are loathe to lose him.

He's only young, and can cover a couple of positions, he has all the physical attributes and surely we can improve his all round game to get him used to the PL?

Wouldn't need to be a starter initially.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Judging players off and me game either way is obviously naive, but I was seriously impressed with him.

Rangers fans also seem to think he is the best prospect they've had in a while, and are loathe to lose him.

He's only young, and can cover a couple of positions, he has all the physical attributes and surely we can improve his all round game to get him used to the PL?

Right you are :flag:

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Judging players off one game either way is obviously naive, but I was seriously impressed with him.

Absolutely.   That's why this link is odd because on one hand it could be obvious bullshit (transfer silly season is well and truly upon us) and because lots of people saw Bassey have a good game and lots of people know Villa have a bit of money to spend and are prepared to move early then this is the perfect link to gain clicks, yet on the other if anybody knows Calvin Bassey then it's his former manager Steven Gerrard.    If he doesn't rate Mings and wants to buy a left footed centre half who used to be a full back then, well, 2+2 I guess. 

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

Absolutely.   That's why this link is odd because on one hand it could be obvious bullshit (transfer silly season is well and truly upon us) and because lots of people saw Bassey have a good game and lots of people know Villa have a bit of money to spend and are prepared to move early then this is the perfect link to gain clicks, yet on the other if anybody knows Calvin Bassey then it's his former manager Steven Gerrard.    If he doesn't rate Mings and wants to buy a left footed centre half who used to be a full back then, well, 2+2 I guess. 

To be fair, he could also be a Ming's backup, Hause replacement and Digne backup. We could phase him in as starter eventually whilst slowly phasing Tyrone out over the next few seasons.

Would be a great signing IMO

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Given he can cover LB from what's said above I think he'd just take Hause role in squad, come in for games here and there.

Played his heart out in the europa final so would be interesting pick up given his age if Rangers don't fleece us too much.

I assume Bassey played in their other european games aswell and Rangers took out some really good teams in their run so guess it would be a bit like us signing Cuellar last time they made a final.

Edited by VillaChris

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Given he can cover LB from what's said above I think he'd just take Hause role in squad, come in for games here and there.

Played his heart out in the europa final so would be interesting pick up given his age if Rangers don't fleece us too much.

I assume Bassey played in their other european games aswell and Rangers took out some really good teams in their run so guess it would be a bit like us signing Cuellar last time they made a final.

He was fantastic against Dortmund, Braga and Leipzig also. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LockStockVilla said:

I can definitely see him coming in and playing a similar role to Konsa in his first season. Wouldn’t throw him in right away, but would provide excellent cover in defense if we sell Hause and don’t bring Young back. 

He would be immediate starter for me

15 minutes ago, LockStockVilla said:

I can definitely see him coming in and playing a similar role to Konsa in his first season. Wouldn’t throw him in right away, but would provide excellent cover in defense if we sell Hause and don’t bring Young back. 

I think that would be the plan and makes sense.

We obviously need to sign a younger player as makes no sense to get someone with Digne's profile to back him up otherwise we will be wasting wages.

If Bassey can fill in at CB at times and develop then it's a good value signing....as long as he's actually good!

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

In place of Mings?

I think issue there is someone like Bassey is young so we'd lose loads of leadership and communication without Mings there. Would only work if Tarkowski was also signed but I don't see us lining up in August with a brand new CB combination.

Chambers-Mings also seem to have formed a good understanding in the games they've played together so that's something to consider aswell.

Mings

Tarkowski

Chambers

Bassey

looks a nice mix of CBs next season. Get the feeling Konsa is going to be waiting for Cash to get injured if he wants significant minutes next season.

Just now, VillaChris said:

In place of Mings?

I think issue there is someone like Bassey is young so we'd lose loads of leadership and communication without Mings there. Would only work if Tarkowski was also signed but I don't see us lining up in August with a brand new CB combination.

Chambers-Mings also seem to have formed a good understanding in the games they've played together so that's something to consider aswell.

Mings

Tarkowski

Chambers

Bassey

looks a nice mix of CBs next season. Get the feeling Konsa is going to be waiting for Cash to get injured if he wants significant minutes next season.

I was thinking alongaide mings. Hause isnt good enough. Chambers was good but still im not 100% convinced he can start week in and week out

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Try reading some Rangers fans opinions on him as a CB before the Europa league final. There seemed to be a consensus he hadn't been great at CB and was a far better LB.

• Thanks 1

You'd be hopeful that given Gerrard signed him for Rangers we would have the edge on getting him over other clubs outside the top 6. Here's what was said back when Rangers signed him

Speaking about his new signing, manager Steven Gerrard said: “There was a lot of clubs interested in Calvin and for us it’s pleasing to secure the services of another young talent.

“He’s a strong and dynamic athlete who is very much the modern day full back. He will develop further and we are excited to have made another strong addition to our group.

“He’s left-footed, physically powerful and enjoys driving forward and is certainly equipped to thrive in the combative nature of Scottish football. We continue to look ahead to next season and Calvin is another positive addition as we continue to build the strength and depth of our squad.”

Sporting Director, Ross Wilson underlined his delight at securing the signing, adding: “Calvin has a really bright future and we are pleased to have attracted him to Rangers.

“The scouting staff identified him at the end of last year and Steven and I have been tracking his situation extensively since then. His ability to play as a full back and centre back will provide us with new depth defensively and doing that was one of our primary targets for this summer.

“He is a young man bursting with enthusiasm and positivity and I know how excited he is to be continuing his journey under the guidance of Steven and the staff.”

Calvin Bassey commented: “I am delighted to join Rangers and secure my future at a club of such stature. When I entered talks with Rangers, I knew this club was right for me. Of course I am thankful for everything Leicester has done for me and I am now very excited about working under Steven Gerrard and his coaching team to continue my progression.

“I have heard about the amazing atmosphere at Ibrox. I can’t wait to start pre-season and take my career to the next level in the famous blue Rangers jersey.”

Rangers Sign Calvin Bassey | Rangers Football Club

• Thanks 1

Â