Pre Match thread

duke313

56 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:
  • City have lost just one of their last 27 Premier League games, while they are unbeaten in 11 since losing 3-2 at home to Spurs in February.
  • Manchester City have triumphed in all five of their final league games of the season under Guardiola by an aggregate score of 20-1.
  • Aston Villa have won just one of their 21 Premier League away games against the league leaders (D3, L17), beating Leeds United 2-1 in January 2000. (I went to that one!)
  • Aston Villa are winless in their last 16 matches versus the Premier League leaders, losing the previous seven by an aggregate score of 21-1.

But on the positive side:

• Ollie Watkins has scored in all three Premier League appearances versus the reigning champions, netting five goals in total.

Ah.

• Haha 1

Martinez

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

McGinn  Tim Ramsey

Coutinho Buendia

Watkins

Dont care if get smashed once we give them a game and as no pressure good to start a youngster or 2

We will be up against Man Ci£y, a biased ref who also doesnt know the rules or makes new ones up as he goes along, and dodgey VAR decisions helped by the ref's mates.

We have no chance other than to give a good account of ourselves like when we played liverpoo, and try to keep the number of goals they score to single figures

I am on the whole an optimistic sort of person.......

• Haha 1

We’ll essentially be playing against 13 players, eleven of which are vastly superior footballers, one is the referee and the last being them playing for the title. 

Go team!

On 18/05/2022 at 11:59, duke313 said:

Aside from preventing Jack from winning the league, why would the players care if City or Liverpool win?

On 18/05/2022 at 12:00, hippo said:

Gerrard might though.

Coutinho might too.

22 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

FFS that bastard 3rd kit being used. The bloodbath we will endure is going to be unbearable. Surely we could have played in white

Playing in white might have reminded them of Real Madrid!

• Haha 1

Here's an idea that SG would never try but would be interesting...

If you want to throw City off their game, do what Greece did to everyone at Euro 2004...man-mark and play with a sweeper, just as a one-off. Even back in 2004, zonal marking was so established that nobody remembered how to play against a sweeper system. Guardiola's system is based on creating overloads in a zone...if everyone is tightly marked, it makes it harder to overload one area.

Of course, the weakness of man marking is that you can be dragged out of position by intelligent running. But they aren't going to be prepared to do that.

What do we have to lose?

1 hour ago, TomC said:

Coutinho might too.

Coutinho who has been booed on his Liverpool returns so far and the fans dont like for saying he was faking an injury to leave

I doubt he will care

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

😂😂😂

I’ve just about had it anyway, with Liverpool fans adopting Villa as their second team, acting like we have some kind of special bond now we have ‘their’ Stevie in charge. 

Thankfully, all of that ends tomorrow as we resoundingly crush their title dreams, simply by being true to who we really are (being the team that never fails to roll over whenever you need a result against us, that is.) 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’ve just about had it anyway, with Liverpool fans adopting Villa as their second team, acting like we have some kind of special bond now we have ‘their’ Stevie in charge. 

Thankfully, all of that ends tomorrow as we resoundingly crush their title dreams, simply by being true to who we really are (being the team that never fails to roll over whenever you need a result against us, that is.) 

Yep, I’m really conflicted over being bitter about Jack leaving thus not wanting Man City to win anything this season to being sick of being Plop fans condescending that we are their shit second team and they love us now.  Thankfully I just care about Villa winning but all that noise in the background is peeing me off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Ollie Watkins has scored in all three Premier League appearances versus the reigning champions, netting five goals in total.

Can’t be right, I read on here he was a bad player ;)

• Like 2