Midweek Football 16/19 May

andykeenan

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure people are reading too much into the fact that we lost to Arsenal but Newcastle are beating them, means absolutely nothing, there will be teams we've beat but Newcastle have lost to.

Also since January 1st only Liverpool have taken more points than Newcastle, so if we're being criticized for not being as good as them recently then might as well criticize the whole league, Newcastle have been in unbelievable form, we shouldn't be measure against that.

It's just pushing a particular agenda. After all, every game is different. Shouldn't be forgotten how much Arsenal cheated agaist us too.

Just now, PieFacE said:

I just feel like if we had have signed him it just wouldn't have worked out. We can't seem to get midfielders right.

There's a different though. Guimaraes was a regular for Lyon in CL/europa for many years so that's a little difference to signing Buendia from a championship club, Nakamba from Belgium, Luiz from bottom half La Liga team and McGinn from Scotland.

That said I guess Sanson had a similar profile given he was a regular at Marseille.....so yeah fair point!

Think as said above McGinn's position as untouchable creates issues as really with Ramsey's rise there's only one slot available in midfield to integrate a new signing so up to Gerrard to rotate more given McGinn's practically played every single minute under him so far.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The lack of belief is exactly what Gerrard is looking to resolve by the signings of Coutinho and Digne. Players that have won things and played at the very highest level of club competition....expect more of the same signings.

I make it that not one of these Newcastle players have won a trophy in a big European league

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Smith-Rowe is a better player than Buendia. Ramsdale/Martinez is very close - I'd have said Martinez all day, last season. Not so much this season.

The gangster Smith Rowe is over hyped, he is not better than Buendia. He may get the better chances, cause we are mostly shite!

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The lack of belief is exactly what Gerrard is looking to resolve by the signings of Coutinho and Digne. 

Sweet, as soon as these two start playing, we're bound to come on leaps and bounds compared to our position in January. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

After Arsenal beat us they celebrated like mad because they knew it was a hard fought win. Pretty sure we wouldn't be having all this rubbish if Smith was still manager, or some other manager that there wasn't a strange agenda against, some of the fanatical hatred is like something you'd expect from the most bigoted Rangers or Celtic fans.

Yes, no one on here or elsewhere had anything approaching a strange agenda towards Dean Smith :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yes, no one on here or elsewhere had anything approaching a strange agenda towards Dean Smith :rolleyes:

Universally loved you know. This place was sunflowers and daisies after every loss.

Also wasn't the first loss against Arsenal this season under Smith? Dudes just bring his name into everything, even when nobody else is talking about him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sweet, as soon as these two start playing, we're bound to come on leaps and bounds compared to our position in January. 

It's hard for quality players to play with a team like ours with limited movement. It gets a little frustrating grafting with skills to look up and there is no one in Midfield to pass to and the Striker is marked out the game.

You can tell when everyone is grafting,  as we rarely get outplayed. Burnley didn't lay a glove on us, then we did f**** all again against a medicore Palace.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Universally loved you know. This place was sunflowers and daisies after every loss.

Also wasn't the first loss against Arsenal this season under Smith? Dudes just bring his name into everything, even when nobody else is talking about him.

Do you remember for a brief while there was a theory some had that Smith and Grealish didn’t get along? :lol: 

Since January 13th, which is after we signed Coutinho and Digne we are eleventh in the form guide, just two points off Burnley in eighth who have played two more games than us over that period. So this idea that we've been really poor since the January signings doesn't ring true.

We were never expected to use those signings turn this season around and suddenly become European contenders, that was out of the question because of the poor start to the seaosn we had.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Since January 13th, which is after we signed Coutinho and Digne we are eleventh in the form guide, just two points off Burnley in eighth who have played two more games than us over that period. So this idea that we've been really poor since the January signings doesn't ring true.

We were never expected to use those signings turn this season around and suddenly become European contenders, that was out of the question because of the poor start to the seaosn we had.

This is very true.  We have not been terrible... but we also haven't been anything close to consistently good  and arguably haven't been better with them.

I'm not sure what's to blame, but i dont think its the players we signed in January.  I'd put it down to a substantial number of players that were only just good enough to get us out the championship and/or keep us in the Premier league still making up the core of our team.

We have also been lacking a decent cdm for several years now.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Do you remember for a brief while there was a theory some had that Smith and Grealish didn’t get along? :lol: 

I remember Grealish drunk partying in lockdown crashing his Range Rover into parked cars at McComack's apartment in Dickens Heath and Smith still being his best pal.

So no I can't remember them ever falling out.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I remember Grealish drunk partying in lockdown crashing his Range Rover into parked cars at McComack's apartment in Dickens Heath and Smith still being his best pal.

So no I can't remember them ever falling out.

They didn’t, but for the shortest of times in early 2019 it was suggested there had been a falling out. 

Hence the response I had to my jokey reference to the notion following the Derby game -

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I'll take a stab at it:

Martinez

Cash   Gabriel    Mings    Digne

Luiz         Partey

Odegaard

Saka                       Buendia

Watkins/Ings

Tierney is better than Digne, Xhaka is better than Luiz although he's not great either.

Smith Rowe and Ramsdale arguable.

But Arsenal are clearly far and away better than Villa, someway, somehow.

Â