European cup winners honoured on pitch pre-match

chappy

Click

Villa supporters are invited to join the squad of ’82 ahead of kick-off for our Premier League encounter against Crystal Palace (ko 2pm), with fans asked to get to their seats early to take part and join in.

Supporters will each have a special edition souvenir flag in their seat when they arrive, which will form part of a whole stadium display – you won’t want to miss it!

We are calling upon all fans to start waving your flags at approximately 1.52pm, when AVFC staff lift their flags into position pitchside, and continue waving them through until kick-off.

Members of Villa’s history-making ‘82 squad will be pitchside for the pre-match celebrations as well as returning at half-time for a lap of appreciation.

The following players/representatives will be in attendance:

Chris & Gary Barton (representing Tony Barton), Andy Blair, Des Bremner, Gordon Cowans, Allan Evans, Colin Gibson, Pat Heard, Ivor Linton, Jessica MacLaren (representing Roy MacLaren), Ken McNaught, Dennis Mortimer, Brendon Ormsby, Genevieve Saunders (representing Ron Saunders), Gary Shaw, Nigel Spink, Kenny Swain, Gary Williams, Jim Williams, Peter Withe.

Supporters can also pick up a special commemorative matchday programme for the Palace fixture, marking the 40th anniversary of our incredible achievement.

Ask @Jarethfor further details on our European Cup winners.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No Jimmy Rimmer ????

One of our best keepers ever, I wonder why he is not going to be there? He did his part in getting to the final as well as the few mins he played in the final.

So looking forward to seeing the team of 1981/82 again.....the team I grew up with in my early 20's.....I might have something in my eye when they do their lap of honour

On 14/05/2022 at 02:11, delboy54 said:

No Jimmy Rimmer ????

One of our best keepers ever, I wonder why he is not going to be there? He did his part in getting to the final as well as the few mins he played in the final.

So looking forward to seeing the team of 1981/82 again.....the team I grew up with in my early 20's.....I might have something in my eye when they do their lap of honour

No Tony Morley either.... Hope they're both in good health.... 

10 hours ago, FLVillan said:

No Tony Morley either.... Hope they're both in good health.... 

I saw Tony advertised for something today by the Dubai Villans on Twitter so I guess he’s over there.

13 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Ivor Linton, I remember him playing in one of the early rounds and performed quite well if I remember. 

Decent utility player.  Played in midfield a few times as well as coming in for Kenny Swain at right back occasionally.  

My view from the back of the Holte was obscured by this bloody great flag...

Which player went down on his knees and kissed the ground in front of the Holte? couldn't see who it was I was so far away.....

Derek

Been looking at the gates we used to get for this competition and was surprised that we were only getting the high 30K's - this was when VP could hold upwards of mid 40K's.

Wasn't there a recession on at the time?

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Been looking at the gates we used to get for this competition and was surprised that we were only getting the high 30K's - this was when VP could hold upwards of mid 40K's.

Wasn't there a recession on at the time?

Yes.  Nationally about 3 million unemployed. Football was also less popular than today with hooliganism and poor match day facilities putting some people off.

I thought it was great send off and somewhat bitter sweet given the guys are getting older and some having health issues. Fair play to Gerrard in changing it so that the current team clap on the team of 82 onto the pitch.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Â