Pre match chat

For me, this is a huge game. Bigger than last nights in my eyes. Anyone who says there’s nothing left to play for is wrong. We’ve got a top ten finish still to chase - I think it’s so so important we are least try to finish higher than we did last year. Being a top ten club also looks way more attractive to potential new signings as well. I think if we are up for it and play like we did last night then we can easily brush Palace aside. Having said that - Palace have had some top results this season and are super strong on their day. As long as we keep our heads, CONCENTRATE when defending and put our chances away - we can do it! 3-1 Villa! 

• Thanks 1

Winnable game.  Potentially missing Watkins though, if so i'd replace with Bailey.  Keep Doug as an 8, drop McGinn and give Carney a start.  Emi for Countino.

-------------------------Martinez----------------------------
Cash---------Konsa-------------Mings--------Digne
-----------------------Nakamba-----------------------------
Douglas Luiz--------------------------Carney----------
-----------------------Buendia--------------------------------
----------Bailey--------------------Ings----------------------

36 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

If no Watkins:

Emi

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

Nakamba

Buendia Luiz McGinn

Coutinho

Ings

This is what I'd go for.

Maybe even swapping out McGinn for one of Sanson, Chuk, or Bailey. Sanson would be my pick I think, but can't see Gerrard going with that team. 

It seems as recently as a month or so ago we could have a go at predicting the line up and be pretty certain we wouldn't be far off - I've got to confess, for this one I haven't the foggiest.

Palace are a decent side and it's going to be a good game, hopefully it's the one where Zaha finally gets the red card he's deserved on seven or eight occasions this season.

I reckon maybe:

------------------------------Martinez----------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa---------------MIngs---------Digne

------------------------------Nakamba---------------------------

--------------------McGinn------------------Luiz----------------

-------------------------------Coutinho---------------------------

---------------Watkins-------------------------Ings-------------

Gerrard seems to want to rotate for freshness and I wouldn't be surprised to see Chambers or Iroegbunam at six, Chukwuemeka at eight or even Sanson in there or Buendia starting.

If Watkins doesn't make it, then I think this could be a game where the 4-3-2-1 with both Buendia and Coutinho is worth looking at again.

• Like 2

Looking at the remaining fixtures they only have one game left that means something in terms of anything other than league position . Which is Everton. And we have the same with Burnley. . I think the league will be wrapped up by the time Citeh play us due to their superior goal difference. 

So this game will be all about finishing the season strongly and nothing else  just like us. 

And to be fair the battle is for 11th by the looks of it. 

We have finished the last 2 seasons pretty strongly. I hope we can do that again. 

They have some major ballers though and if our centre backs are out of form they can really hurt us.  Gallagher vs McGinn will be a key battle in midfield. 

I would go for the same midfield as started against Liverpool as thats a solid base to build from.   JJ can come on in the 60th minute or so. No desperate reason to rush him back from the start. 

Hopefully Ollie can play in this and score a couple, would like him to match his score from last season and I think palace and burnley offer a good chance to do this. They have some extremely dangerous players though, Olise is brilliant and a snip at 8mil. he would have been immense here. would be great to have a repeat of the 3-0 victory at there place come sunday afternoon UTV

Presuming Watkins and Ramsey are out, I'd go for this: 

Martinez 

Cash    Chambers     Mings     Digne 

Nakamba 

Luiz        Chuck 

Buendia           Ings          Coutinho 

Thought McGinn looked leggy on Tuesday night so I'd give Chuck a start. Luiz played very well (further forward) and Nakamba gives us the licence to do this.  Maybe Tim to replace Marvellous after an hour.  Chambers for Konsa. 

These are a decent outfit, with some quick/strong players but hopefully we can do the double over them. 

Head 2-2. Heart (realistically) 2-1.💜💙

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Presuming Watkins and Ramsey are out, I'd go for this: 

Martinez 

Cash    Chambers     Mings     Digne 

Nakamba 

Luiz        Chuck 

Buendia           Ings          Coutinho 

Thought McGinn looked leggy on Tuesday night so I'd give Chuck a start. Luiz played very well (further forward) and Nakamba gives us the licence to do this.  Maybe Tim to replace Marvellous after an hour.  Chambers for Konsa. 

These are a decent outfit, with some quick/strong players but hopefully we can do the double over them. 

Head 2-2. Heart (realistically) 2-1.💜💙

To be fair he's looked leggy for about two years!

You've picked a good team there, I'd like to see Iroegbunam start again though in place of Nakamba.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

To be fair he's looked leggy for about two years!

You've picked a good team there, I'd like to see Iroegbunam start again though in place of Nakamba.

Ha yes he has 🙈

I'd be ok with Tim starting, but I think it would be a brave call to start both him and Chuck.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Iroegbunam back in.

We've had Chris Kavanagh as ref twice this season and lost both of them. Week 7 away to Spurs 2-1 and week 10 home to West Ham 4-1. At least David Coote in the booth has our back. We've 10pts from 4 games with him this season.

Referee: Chris Kavanagh.
Assistants: Harry Lennard, Nick Hopton.
Fourth official: Martin Atkinson.
VAR: David Coote.
Assistant VAR: James Mainwaring. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrBlack said:

This is who I think we'll end up with if Watkins is out.

If it was me, I'd swap McGinn for Sanson, but we know that ain't happening.

Screenshot_20220511-222326_Chrome.jpg

Pointing in the direction of Leeds, I like it!

• Haha 2

I'd really like us to play Chambers as a sweeper, abandon the idea of a 6, but have him slot intot  a3 at the back when we've got proper defending to do and then go up the pitch when we press or when we have the ball. Might solve some of our problems. Certainly want to see more of Luiz as an 8.

Tough old game this on, Liverpool was a free hit and we gave it a really good go, have a feeling we might be a bit nervous in this one as we'll be going into it with much more expectation on 3 points.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just as an aside, people might think this game means nothing in the scheme of things - but there are five points between 15th and 10th and we're slap bang in the middle of that - the difference between those two positions is something like £10m in prize money - about two thirds of a Coutinho - beating Palace and Burnley will make us more money than the season ticket uplift and could make a difference to our summer.

Half a Coutinho if the quoted price is accurate.