Memorable Film Scenes & Acting Performances

maqroll

Maybe a surprise one here

I think the choreography and the skill involved is brilliant but more than that the story told between the 2 characters, Hector riddled with guilt knowing that he won't win and he has his family vs Achilles who is toying with him as he knows that he will and its not overly flash either apart from Achilles arrogance whilst still having several cool moves and done in an almost minimalistic setting 

Its superbly done and for me entirely believable making it one of the best fight scenes ever done in a film not called crouching tiger hidden dragon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

This is Lols rape and the aftermath with Combo from This is England 86. No chaff, every person involved make it exceptional. 

If we're branching out to TV then This is England is a great shout for lots of these. I honestly think it might be the best British TV show ever. It's absolutely superb.

My favourite performance in it, however, is this whole sequence (obviously it includes Stephen Graham again). The entire thing is utterly heartbreaking

(SPOILERS for TIE '90)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

will watch it again when I get home but i think a lot of TiE best scenes almost have an ad lib feel to them which definitely enhances it

from memory that rape scene in particular has a lot of toing and froing that doesn't really go anywhere but creates the impending doom

• Like 2

There's also a particularly effective scene in Clouzot's Les Diaboliques ( 1955) where the head-teacher rises from a bath and heads towards the bedroom of an innocent woman, the build up of footsteps and silence alongside the use of light that is really well done. 

Les Diaboliques with live film score by Daisy Chute - Bing video

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Here's a bit of a left field shout, might be frowned on by some give it's from a musical. And to be honest it's not a film I particularly enjoyed at all to be honest.

However Anne Hathaway in this scene is absolutely excellent. Gut wrenching

• Like 1

First she mastered the Polish accent so that she could speak German and English in order to have the proper accent of a Polish refugee, not sure I even like her but I respect her ability. Her performance in Sophie's Choice is regarded as one the greatest screen performances of all time. Its a decent film that is dominated by her.  

I've taken to using Sophie's Choice as an example for those occasions when I have to convince relatives that, no, my wife does not and has not ever wanted children and no, she won't be "changing her mind".  Thusly: "You know Sophie's Choice?  My wife would have happily sent both kids to their death for a seat upgrade".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I think Brian Dennehy is one of the best things in the film.

In the book the sheriff Teasel character is a far more sympathetic character but such sublety....

The scene which always makes me laugh everytime, is when Rambo sews up the gash in his arm.

A truly great film which always leaves me with a smile on my face.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I've taken to using Sophie's Choice as an example for those occasions when I have to convince relatives that, no, my wife does not and has not ever wanted children and no, she won't be "changing her mind".  Thusly: "You know Sophie's Choice?  My wife would have happily sent both kids to their death for a seat upgrade".

Crikey.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Here's a bit of a left field shout, might be frowned on by some give it's from a musical. And to be honest it's not a film I particularly enjoyed at all to be honest.

However Anne Hathaway in this scene is absolutely excellent. Gut wrenching

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought of this. Stunning performance. 

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I remember as a kid my mum recorded Gone with the Wind on the old  VHS. The tape ran out on 'Frankly my dear I don't give a da....'

I found some interesting material on an old VHS tape recently as well, still not sure when the transition from hair to bald actually became a thing 

Â