Better Call Saul - The Final Season (untagged spoilers!)

Stevo985

3 hours ago, BOF said:

But in the spirit of it

Hide contents

I thought it was slightly poor writing to make Hector so willing to shake Gus' hand, basically giving away the fact Lalo is still alive. Hector is clever and canny enough in past episodes to have played the role of grieving uncle and kept the charade going and thereby keeping Lalo's very much aliveness a surprise to those who least needed to know.

Spoiler

I didn't really understand how that gave it away. What have I missed?

Also I was a bit confused as to whether Mike set up Nacho? I think he did but at the request of Gus?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:
  Hide contents

I didn't really understand how that gave it away. What have I missed?

Also I was a bit confused as to whether Mike set up Nacho? I think he did but at the request of Gus?

Spoiler

Not sure you've missed much. But IMO it was out of character for Hector to do what he did, and by doing it in the immediate aftermath of (what everyone believed was) his nephew being murdered by an unknown assassin where everyone would have known everyone was under suspicion. Even Gus would have known he was under suspicion even with going there with the olive branch. The reaction from Hector told him and would've told me had I not known that things are clearly not as bad as they seem on the surface, and gave him all the evidence he needed to confirm his suspicions that Lalo wasn't dead, otherwise Hector would've hit the roof or completely gone into his shell.

15 minutes ago, BOF said:
  Hide contents

Not sure you've missed much. But IMO it was out of character for Hector to do what he did, and by doing it in the immediate aftermath of (what everyone believed was) his nephew being murdered by an unknown assassin where everyone would have known everyone was under suspicion. Even Gus would have known he was under suspicion even with going there with the olive branch. The reaction from Hector told him and would've told me had I not known that things are clearly not as bad as they seem on the surface, and gave him all the evidence he needed to confirm his suspicions that Lalo wasn't dead, otherwise Hector would've hit the roof or completely gone into his shell.

Ah ok gotcha

Yeah I did get that, I thought there was something more explicit

How many seasons of this has there been now? I really tried with it, I loved BB and stuck with this for the first few seasons, the last thing I can remember watching is when Sauls brother was testifying in court or something and Saul sneaked a phone into the court room to prove that he was bat shit crazy with all of his fear of electric stuff...or something like that, I think his brother may have actually died at some point, I think that was around the time I stopped watching.

It just always seemed as if it was promising something big only to dial everything back to zero and start moving at a snails pace again, I'm guessing that it eventually picked up then.

Two strong episodes to start off with

Spoiler

Really intrigued as to how Kim is going to be written out of it! Interesting to see her taking the lead in their nefarious scheme to nail Howard.

also unsure as to why Mike went along with planting the motel name in the second safe - presumably under orders. I’d also like to see what was taken out of that first safe and not replaced, possibly Nacho’s dad’s new ID but Mike has been dead against doing anything that would involve the dad so not sure

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

How many seasons of this has there been now? I really tried with it, I loved BB and stuck with this for the first few seasons, the last thing I can remember watching is when Sauls brother was testifying in court or something and Saul sneaked a phone into the court room to prove that he was bat shit crazy with all of his fear of electric stuff...or something like that, I think his brother may have actually died at some point, I think that was around the time I stopped watching.

It just always seemed as if it was promising something big only to dial everything back to zero and start moving at a snails pace again, I'm guessing that it eventually picked up then.

Not really. It’s a fairly slow moving show with some enjoyable climaxes. But there are a lot of small things happening in the slow parts that eventually come together. 

It’s one of the best things on TV but it won’t be for everybody 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BOF said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

I disagree it's out of character for hector @BOF He has always been a little reckless and I think he wanted Gus to know or at have doubts/be unsure.

Spoiler

Mike revealed the hotel location because in spite of his protestations and fake/shallow honor about Nacho, he realizes that this is the only play for the business to survive. So he outed him - it was Mike's choice not an order. Remember Mike in BB is pretty cold and hardened - it's mainly in BCS that we've seen his struggles with his conscience (e.g. the murder of the German construction boss.)

• Like 1

Good first two episodes. I really hope they nail the ending. 

No black and white scenes of the present day. I'm assuming that will resolve itself in the finale.

What was the significance of the thing that fell from the chest of drawers and the camera zoomed in on?

14 hours ago, chappy said:

Two strong episodes to start off with

Hide contents

Really intrigued as to how Kim is going to be written out of it! Interesting to see her taking the lead in their nefarious scheme to nail Howard.

also unsure as to why Mike went along with planting the motel name in the second safe - presumably under orders. I’d also like to see what was taken out of that first safe and not replaced, possibly Nacho’s dad’s new ID but Mike has been dead against doing anything that would involve the dad so not sure

It was so Don Juan could find it and locate Nacho. The bit I found odd was that Gus obviously needs him dead as he’s a loose end now and the only one that can link him to the failed hit on Lalo. Maybe he expects them to kill him as soon as they find him, but the worry would be they interrogate him to find out who he’s been working for, which was as much as confirmed by the Salamanca twins when they said “Alive”. Maybe Mike is working alone and wants the Salamanca family to find out and link it to his boss I dont know. Excellent first episodes though.

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Good first two episodes. I really hope they nail the ending. 

No black and white scenes of the present day. I'm assuming that will resolve itself in the finale.

What was the significance of the thing that fell from the chest of drawers and the camera zoomed in on?

It was the cork from that expensive bottle of tequila that he and Kim used to celebrate/grift with in past seasons.

Spoiler

My take was that it was Kim's and that because it's there it means she's around till the very end, maybe 

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Hide contents

I disagree it's out of character for hector @BOF He has always been a little reckless and I think he wanted Gus to know or at have doubts/be unsure.

Hide contents

Mike revealed the hotel location because in spite of his protestations and fake/shallow honor about Nacho, he realizes that this is the only play for the business to survive. So he outed him - it was Mike's choice not an order. Remember Mike in BB is pretty cold and hardened - it's mainly in BCS that we've seen his struggles with his conscience (e.g. the murder of the German construction boss.)

Spoiler

But on the phone to Nacho at the end he said "not my call" which I assumed was referring to Nacho presumably asking him why he tipped off the Salamancas. Mike was pretty adamant the whole time that they should rescue Nacho and not leave him to be caught

7 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Things you want to hear when you've got an 8 hour working day ahead of you...

Well if u had a sleepless night like me and checked the ocean waves a lucky copy was a available, couldn't wait till morning, snatched and watched it pronto. Hope you have a stress free easy day at work and enjoy the episode later.

I can DM you what happened if u cannot wait😉, laters dude.

Loved that.

Spoiler

Always knew Nacho's fate was sealed given he doesn't appear in BB and ... yeah just his story arc in general, and yet he went out badass and I'm not sad for the character.

This is a good read too

Better Call Saul’s Michael Mando on Nacho's 'Transcendent' Path to 'Breaking Good'

“No, it wasn’t me. It was Ignacio. He’s the one,” Saul Goodman exclaimed at gunpoint in the season 2 finale of Breaking Bad. The episode “Better Call Saul” aired in 2009, long before the Bob Odenkirk–starring prequel, Better Call Saul, hit AMC. Yet, in this one passing line of dialog, while Saul was confronted by a masked Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul) and Walter White (Bryan Cranston), the character Ignacio “Nacho” Varga, played impeccably by Michael Mando, was born.

Nacho has undergone a profound evolution since his early cartel days as Tuco Salamanca’s (Raymond Cruz) obedient right-hand man. And season 6 has found him in a precarious position. In the season 5 finale, Nacho assisted Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito) in his plan to destroy Lalo Salamanca’s (Tony Dalton) compound, allowing Fring to make a power play within the criminal cartel world. It was supposed to be Nacho’s final crime, as he was laying the groundwork to pursue a better life for himself and his father.

Nacho’s plan backfired. The mission to take out Lalo failed. And after evading capture in Mexico, going so far as to hide from the Salamanca cousins by submerging himself in an oil tank, Nacho faced two eye-opening truths about his fate: He was a pawn in Fring’s grander agenda, and he was going to die because of it.

Much more Q&A in the link...

Â