• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

veloman - i own all of oasis' and the smiths' stuff, easily two of the greatest bands of all time

i agree oasis are a glorified pub band, but you should try being in the pub...

as for the smiths they are a bit marmite and not every song is a winner but the majority of their stuff is excellent

Agree with this, I have every Oasis album, every b side and all unreleased material that has ever found its way onto the Internet.

I haven't listened to them for a while, but they are the first band I got into and because of them I have grew to love music and got into so many other great bands I would never have otherwise ever considered listening to.

I know they aren't everybody's cup of tea, but their live shows (especially their stadium gigs) really were like being at a cup final. I have seen many bands live over the years, but I have never experienced an atmosphere at a gig like that at the City of Manchester Stadium in 2005, it was insane.

I am going to see Beady Eye next month, not a patch on Oasis, but Liam has finally got his voice back and is singing better than he has done at any point since about 2001. Just a shame he won't be singing any of the Oasis classics now he doesn't sound like Kermit anymore.

The most over rated band from that list, for me, is Coldplay. Very very boring and a band for housewives to do the ironing to.

• Like 1

From those listed, Nirvana. I generally liked them while they were still around, but their music hasn't aged well IMO. If the guy doesn't shoot himself, they're a footnote.

Aside from that (and I'm sure it's been mentioned already) the Sex Pistols are the first that spring to mind for me. Musically there wasn't much there, and the punk phenomenon would've still happened without them.

If you change "overrated" to simply "well-known bands that I don't like", you can throw in Pink Floyd, Genesis, and any number of bands.

From those listed, Nirvana. I generally liked them while they were still around, but their music hasn't aged well IMO. If the guy doesn't shoot himself, they're a footnote.

Couldn't be more wrong, imo.

In a word, no. Black Eyed Peas, Boyzone, Westlife, any number of shit pop groups sell gazillions of records, and have sell out tours galore. Doesn't mean they're not shit.

A little bit different though, Bon Jovi outsell Boyzone in one album, and have sold over 70 million more than both the Black Eyed Peas and Westlife.

They've still never written anything that I'd like to buy or choose to listen to.

So, basically what you're saying is that if you don't like them they're not good and anyone into music should have the same taste as you? Well, I've never heard anything more stupid. I won't stand up for Bon Jovi (or BEP, Boyzone etc) even if I like their old stuff. I can see why people think they're overrated, but to say that anyone "into music" likes them is just pure BS.

And then, if I didn't get it wrong, you say that Nirvana took music back to its' roots or something like that, just like Sex Pistols and The Clash. Well, Sex Pistols were nowhere anything like music, they couldn't even play, so that must be the roots av shite music. Though, Nirvana wasn't really shite even if I think they're overrated.

What the hell is overrated in music, anyway? People mention Queen, The Beatles, U2, Elvis and so on and so forth. I guess overrated music is bands that have sold gazillions of records, played for millions of people and broken grounds but that some doesn't like. I agree with some of those mentioned, mind you. I'd add Bob Dylan for one, so I'm not better than anyone else.

The way to complete it is; “Any Band from an era that isn’t my own are overrated. All Bands from my era are very very significant.”

I don't think that's necessarily true (although I agree that's probably how a lto of people think)

Nirvana are before my era, and are one of my favourite bands.

Radiohead are my era, and are one of my least favourite bands!

Â