• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Heavier than heaven is a biography of him that almost makes you want to cry ... a tortured soul and someone who clearly wasn't destined to live to old age

Good shout Tone - thats the book that got me into Nirvana. Before reading it I didnt even have a copy of Nevermind

i dont understand what is so bad about U2, Coldplay and Oasis?
Veloman got it spot on. One-riff wonders.

Thing is, these threads are pointless. We all like what we like and hate what we hate, it's pretty much impossible to change peoples' minds on that.

Everybody on here knows my antipathy to (most) 80s bands, but I'll be the fiirst to admit that that's a function of my age; if I'd been 16 in 1980 instead of 1970, I'd have probably loved New Order, The Smiths, etc.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

What I really CAN'T understand is people who have no love of music at all. I can't imagine living without it.

That sums it up for me

Thing is, these threads are pointless. We all like what we like and hate what we hate, it's pretty much impossible to change peoples' minds on that.

Precisely. I can't even think what to add to that.

Lynard Skynard? Lynard Skynard!? Did you really put Lynard Skynard? :o

Oasis are not overrated either, They have sold more than 50 million albums worldwide and have had eight UK number one singles, They must have been doing something right to still be going after 14 years!

Out of that lot I think Nirvana are the most overrated but thats based on my own musical tastes, obviously.

Red.

Hot.

Chili.

Peppers.

So many albums. Just one song. (Or so it seems.)

Where are they from again? I'm sure someone once told me they're from the West Coast of America, but I'm not sure which state. If only they'd mention it in a song, my question would be answered.

:lol: I actually really like RHCP. Frusciante in particular is awesome.

And being pedantic, Anthony Kiedis is from Michigan :P RHCP have also released a huge amount of songs, and I can only think of two or three which mention California. They just happened to be two of the more recent hits.

That's a tough choice - I like at least one song by all of them except the Allmans (who I am totally unfamiliar with).
The Allmans are bloody ace, Rob. Try the "Eat A Peach" double album for a good cross-section of their style.

Blimey - after all these years and I just discover that the theme to Top Gear is one of theirs!

Oasis are not overrated either, They have sold more than 50 million albums worldwide and have had eight UK number one singles, They must have been doing something right to still be going after 14 years!
Erm, isn't that the whole point of the thread? If they hadn't been wildly successful, they couldn't be accused of being OVERrated! It's all about bands that are big, but you think shouldn't be.

Girls Aloud (say) have sold a lot of records - does that make them better than [insert name of your favourite band here]?

That's a tough choice - I like at least one song by all of them except the Allmans (who I am totally unfamiliar with).
The Allmans are bloody ace, Rob. Try the "Eat A Peach" double album for a good cross-section of their style.

Blimey - after all these years and I just discover that the theme to Top Gear is one of theirs!

Sadly, yes. That program has absolutely ruined "Jessica" for me.

• 2 years later...
the sex pistols by a million miles

sid vicious could hardly play guitar and jonny rotten got the singers position because he had a t-shirt which "i hate pink floyd written on it"

and the smiths were amazing, johnny marr is brilliant and morrisseys lyrics are hard to beat

Sid Vicious was bass player and wasn't even recorded on Never Mind The Bollocks. Bass was played by Glen Matlock.

Anyhow Nevermind The Bollocks is a fantasically produced punk album.

Ironically for all the Pistols "chaos" they had a very well recorded album.

And whilst John Lydon may irritate - i suggest you listen to some of early Public Image - great way with words and great frontman for a period.

I say this as someone still in their 20s but youre trying to tell me this is shit?:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBq98uUJE4

no way!

John Lydon tho full of contradictions - should be admired

Where are the Beatles on this list?

It's not that they're bad, they're just not the greatest thing that's ever happened to music, as many would have them.

IMO of course.

Love the Beatles myself..

the endless praise may be irritating but i dnno - so many tunes in what was pretty brief period of time.

I heard I WAnt You (Shes So Heavy) the other day and rminded me why i like them so much

Where are the Beatles on this list?

It's not that they're bad, they're just not the greatest thing that's ever happened to music, as many would have them.

IMO of course.

:thumb:

If you grew up with the radio options I did then Nirvana it is. Also, Pearl Jam should be on the list. I don't think either band is bad.....just HIGHLY overrated. And I am sure by now it's been mentioned but in case it hasn't.....it's Lynyrd Skynyrd, there are no A's in the bands name.

Ps. Rob, you need to check out the Allman Brothers stat!!!! And I'm sorry someone said the Beach Boys.

Nirvana might be overated but they were a cracking rawkus band with a lot of energy and whatever you think of Cobain he definately had bit more going on upstairs than most or at least in rock.

In Utero is a fantastic sounding album.

Could you imagine Coldplay or say The Vaccines (current NME faves) coming up with a Radio Friendly Unit Shifter??

Not in a billion years.

The whole suicide muddied the water but Nirvana were a cracking if simple band but with some real talent and just sheer energy

Bands like Coldplay aren't that overrated here, mainly because most people only know 2-3 songs by them. Same with Oasis which should NOT be the case (although I very much prefer Noel...another topic for another time). Nirvana on the other hand is played just as much today as when they first broke out. Same with Pearl Jam :(

What I can say I love about Nirvana is that it gave the world Dave Grohl.

Voted Aerosmith, never really liked their style.

There's a good case for voting Oasis I think, Liam G is a terrible singer imo and a huge tit on top of that as well. But the rest of the band I think, is good.

Â