Best actor of the newer generation? (what a choice!)

BOF

Who is the best newer generation actor?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best newer generation actor?

• Johnny Depp
    • Joaquin Phoenix
    • Daniel Day-Lewis
    • Phillip Seymour-Hoffman
    • Edward Norton
    • Jake Gyllenhaal
    • Ryan Gosling
    • Leonardo Di Caprio
    • Russell Crowe
    • Christian Bale

If you are putting 51 year old Daniel Day Lewis on the shortlist, im asking for 48 year old Kevin Spacey.

Then im voting for him.

Ran out of options @ 10.

BOF did you just put Daniel Day-Lewis one of the greatest actors of all time, never mind modern times in a poll with the likes of Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Gosling and Leonardo Di Craprio? You might as well have stuck Pee Wee Herman in there.

and just where exactly are:

Denzel Washington

Liam Neeson

Sean Penn

Tom Hanks

Kevin Spacey

Tom Wilkinson

Don Cheadle

Philip Seymour Hoffman EDIT missed him in the poll

Forest Whitaker

Brendan Gleeson

Paul Giamatti

Benicio del Toro

Ray Liotta

Ed Harris

Willem Dafoe

James Woods

William H. Macy

John Malkovich

Ralph Fiennes

Joe Pesci

Not too nitpick or anything ;)

There's only room for 10, and mine are better than yours :P A lot of yours are not newer generation either.

And even on an F1 grid there's room for the Jenson Buttons alongside the Michael Schumachers :)

Good thread ... but a toughie to pick one

I must admit I like Edward Norton ever since American History X , Depp is Ok but for me always seems to be the same character

Denzil Washington is another great actor ... but went for Christian Bale .. he's the more versatile actor of the bunch for me

no votes for Leonardo Di Caprio is surprising he is in fact a great actor but never seems to got acknowledgment

Day Lewis has been around since the 80's so I don't see him as "new generation" in that sense .. although after Brando he is probably the best actor of all time

Jake Gyllenhaal was immense in Donnie Darko!

Agreed. Loved that film, his potrayal of his character was top notch.

Erik Per Sullivan

Isn't that the guy who played Dewey in Malcom In The Middle?

And although I would agree about Kevin Spacey being a great actor, he's not really part of the NEW generation of actors. He's been around quite long.

i thought you was going to put up the likes of ryan gosling and jake gyllenhall however you spell his name! guess they are going to be on a list in 10 years time

personally i like christian bale, although brad pitt in snatch and fight club was simply amazing

I voted Daniel Day-Lewis based on his presence in many better movies than the other actors.

However, I like Christian Bale who will probably begin to receive roles similar to the ones given to Daniel Day-Lewis.

I used to like Johnny Depp until I remembered my childhood favorite Buster Keaton and after revisiting those films of Keaton's again I can firmly conclude that there is no doubt that Depp "tips the hat" firmly towards the genius of Keaton's stoic performances.

Good list.

Christian Bale for me, versatile, and is awesome in everything. I've never seen him not be awesome.

And he is probably the only yank who can do a very good English (cockney) accent.

Good list.

Christian Bale for me, versatile, and is awesome in everything. I've never seen him not be awesome.

And he is probably the only yank who can do a very good English (cockney) accent.

He's not American. He was born in Pembrokeshire and his parents are English

Good list.

He's not American. He was born in Pembrokeshire and his parents are English

Haha, exactly. He's an englishman who can do an amazing American accent.

Hopefully the Batman movies make more people realise how much of a fantastic actor he is.

Hopefully the Batman movies make more people realise how much of a fantastic actor he is.

I think it's already generally regarded that he's one of the very best actors around tbf :)

Â