Andy Lochhead

colhint

1 hour ago, YLN said:

Scottish striker. Played for Villa from 1970 to 1973. Scored 34 goals in 131 appearances. Died at the age of 81

Big strong forward who scored lots of headers. A style icon for men in their 50s who wanted to play football at a high level 

andy-lochhead-aston-villa-2BAEHB7.jpg

Born in 1941. Played for Villa between 1970 and 1973.

The man in the picture above is ~30 years old

When I was a kid and was taken to my first games at Villa Park, he was the first centre forward, the Villa no. 9  and of course hero. You don’t forget those players. I was at the famous Bournemouth game, when he scored the winner just three minutes after Geoff Vowden’s equaliser. “The Holte End sucked the ball into the net.” I believe we’re the great man’s words. 

He epitomised Villa. A tough no nonsense player. Never flash but got the job done. A working class sort of bloke for a working class club. Solid, reliable and of course Scottish which very much fits in with our history. I was 8 almost 9 at the time of the Bournemouth game. Not my first but one of my first games at Villa Park and certainly my first big game. Anyone who was there will never forget that game and will never forget the winning goal scorer. 

Have a rest and enjoy the view from the Holte End in the sky. Maybe put your boots on at about 12.30 today. RIP and thank you big man. 

image.jpeg.931fbc4decb8fe6e05f2b1cc5e29f436.jpeg

• Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, John said:

I feel so sad about the loss of Andy. I was another one who cheered him on from the Holte and I knew that every time a ball was played into the box, that he would do everything to get his head on it. He could head a ball as far as some of them could kick it. He was a throwback to the best of the old fashioned centre forwards and it was my pleasure as a schoolboy to see him give everything for another claret & blue shirt following his move from Burnley.

Andy did a great deal to help lift us out of Division 3 and scored those goals against Bournemouth and Newton Heath in the LCSF that those of us that were lucky enough to be there to see will never forget. I'm sure we will give him a fitting send off today and if you look around you may well see a tear in a few old men's eyes as they think of "Andy, Andy Lochhead, Andy Lochhead in the air". My thoughts are with his family on their sad loss. Thanks for the memories Andy. HEITS.  

villamad.co.uk: Match Preview: AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa image.jpeg.5e7c5b1e7a6bab092b920b1d5d3843be.jpeg image.jpeg.df164ab19f7240db27f7139d313d1816.jpeg image.jpeg.197c7c1c16a7421beee57215d68b5c79.jpeg

He was a great old fashioned centre forward. I’m not so sure he was a throw back though, this was the early 70s, he was of his time really. We’re just getting old John. Keep it to yourself though, I’m going to live in denial for as long as I can and hope nobody notices. 

• Haha 1

Â