England v Switzerland/England v Ivory Coast

andykeenan

Can’t argue with that squad too much. If I’m honest, I don’t think Ramsey is quite there yet, so not bothered if he knocks about the u21s for a bit longer. If he ups his form a notch and does well for the u21s I think he’ll get a call up. 

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

no rashford - good

having a look at gallagher and guehi - its the right break to do it - no tomori? dont know why, not been watching him

tammy deserves his chance again

guehi and white ahead of konsa...not seen guehi play if im honest so i dont know, do think konsa has had a dip in form at the wrong time

overall i think thats pretty much the best we have, cant think of any shockers in there, maybe that luke shaw hasnt been starting for utd in the last month (injured?) and he's the only left back

Bowen would've been a shoe in if fit you'd think but I agree apart from that it's as you'd expect. He was never going to drop Maguire.

Would like to see Rice and Bellingham get a proper run now as double pivot infront of the back 4 as that surely has to be starting combo at world cup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Can’t argue with that squad too much. If I’m honest, I don’t think Ramsey is quite there yet, so not bothered if he knocks about the u21s for a bit longer. If he ups his form a notch and does well for the u21s I think he’ll get a call up. 

Plenty of pointless nations league games in June to have a look at him if he has strong end to the season.

9 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I'm all for loyalty in football and its not something I've often criticised Southgate for...just everything else. 

But how on earth is Maguire in that squad. He's up there with worst performing players in the league right now.

The guy should be banned from playing football he is so bad. No way he should be picking up international caps even if he is an elite ball playing centre back

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Bowen would've been a shoe in if fit you'd think but I agree apart from that it's as you'd expect. He was never going to drop Maguire.

Would like to see Rice and Bellingham get a proper run now as double pivot infront of the back 4 as that surely has to be starting combo at world cup.

Isnt that the problem. He should drop Maguire and its a friendly so even less pressure 

Its why England will never win a tournament this shitty favouritism approach. Hardly Beckham, Rooney etc its the modern day Titus Bramble 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Isnt that the problem. He should drop Maguire and its a friendly so even less pressure 

Its why England will never win a tournament this shitty favouritism approach. Hardly Beckham, Rooney etc its the modern day Titus Bramble 

As Southgate said yesterday Maguire was outstanding for him at euros. Until he has a poor tournament he'll have an automatic place in the team.

Also took an excellent penalty in the final so that's worth noting if England play another shoot out as you wouldn't fancy likes of Sancho or Saka to take one in a hurry if either were on the pitch.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Do you want to be 'trying new players' really when there's 9 or 10 months until a World Cup and you aren't going to have much of a training camp before the tournament?

Bottom line is the England hierarchy are of the opinion that you want to try to get the 'group' as comfortable with each other and in tune with each other as possible, and handing out starting roles to guys who you strongly suspect won't make the final squad isn't going to help with that, so.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you want to be 'trying new players' really when there's 9 or 10 months until a World Cup and you aren't going to have much of a training camp before the tournament?

Bottom line is the England hierarchy are of the opinion that you want to try to get the 'group' as comfortable with each other and in tune with each other as possible, and handing out starting roles to guys who you strongly suspect won't make the final squad isn't going to help with that, so.

When do you try them then? Friendlies are pretty much finished so these are the rare friendlies that are available 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

When do you try them then? Friendlies are pretty much finished so these are the rare friendlies that are available 

After the tournament 🤷‍♂️

People can moan about it if they want, but this happens so much it's clearly The Plan: build a tight-knit group that trust each other, know the systems and the manager's expectations, and don't pick on form unless it's an extreme exception. And it's hard to look at the past few years and not think it's worked pretty well.

• Like 1

He's trying 2 new faces, tried tomori last squad, trying to get Tammy back as striker number 2 too

Its about right imo, it's not so much Henderson has 50+ caps so he doesn't need 2 more it's Henderson has played with Bellingham maybe 3 times before and he needs to see that combo in training 

The number of players he's looking at doesn't bother me if I'm honest, I do think this squad for all its faults (as I think Keyblade said in his thread mings in the best CB in this squad) it's not screaming at me that he's **** up anywhere and someone else should be there, say what you like about maguires form or stones not playing but he was never dropping them for say konsa, never 

• Like 1

On 17/03/2022 at 18:48, Davkaus said:

He hasn't been out of this world, but...

Grealish’s attacking stats are better than Sancho’s. His output isn’t, but that’s not how people pick teams/squads. Or at least it shouldn’t be

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Grealish’s attacking stats are better than Sancho’s. His output isn’t, but that’s not how people pick teams/squads. Or at least it shouldn’t be

This. If football was as easy as pick the player with the most goals and/or assists in attacking positions and clean sheets in defence then we could have robots picking teams.

Grealish had pretty average assists and goals stats for us for a lot of his time here. It didn’t stop him being head and shoulders above everybody else we had.

• Like 1

That's a long winded way of saying grealish has his own tshirt in the England shop and sancho doesn't 😉

Sancho is another who struggled to get a sniff during the euros suggesting that there's something about him Southgate doesn't like, that's the kind of change that should happen between these 2 tournaments, take those who were always unused subs and replace them, DCL for example should never make another Southgate squad but he's doing that himself anyway, sancho I think started 1 and made 2 sub appearances in the euros 

The farce that it is... 

Tammy has gone and replaced by Watkins, TAA has gone and been replaced by Kyle walker Peters, James gone and replaced by Mitchell, ramsdale gone and replaced by Johnstone who also pulled out and replaced by forster, saka pulled out and replaced by Smith rowe

Complete waste of time 

• Like 1

Â