England v Switzerland/England v Ivory Coast

andykeenan

Switzerland Saturday 26 March 5.30pm

Ivory Coast Tuesday 29 March 7.45pm

Both games on ITV 

The squad 

Goalkeepers:  Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Coady (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Ben White (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Conor Gallagher (Crystal Palace, loan from Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham United), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (AS Roma), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Emile Smith Rowe (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

• Like 1

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Weird how Grealish is in the squad, even though he's barely played a minute lately, but when he was playing every 90 with us, could barely get a sniff of Gareth's gusset. 

Plays for Man city so must be good now.

• Like 2

no rashford - good

having a look at gallagher and guehi - its the right break to do it - no tomori? dont know why, not been watching him

tammy deserves his chance again

guehi and white ahead of konsa...not seen guehi play if im honest so i dont know, do think konsa has had a dip in form at the wrong time

overall i think thats pretty much the best we have, cant think of any shockers in there, maybe that luke shaw hasnt been starting for utd in the last month (injured?) and he's the only left back

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

@rjw63's new favorite thread

I'm surprised  a) 8 replies already

and b) no typos, although it's pretty difficult to **** up copy/paste.

• Haha 1

Palace have more players in the squad than us, how embarrassing 😂

On a serious note I don't mind the squad, but I'm a bit bemused Konsa wasn't called up last year seeing as Godfrey and now Guehi have made it in before him. 

Think Ramsey should have been called up but he's fine with the u21s for now. Surely it's time for Henderson to make way for someone younger though. 

18 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Weird how Grealish is in the squad, even though he's barely played a minute lately, but when he was playing every 90 with us, could barely get a sniff of Gareth's gusset. 

Pretends to be shocked, but gives up.

Delighted its only Mings in the squad. If Ramsey starts to get called up, he will get sold to Man City within a couple of years.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Cant Guehi play for another country, I am sure he was linked with an African Nations call up. Think Southgate trying convince him to stay with England

He was born in the Ivory Coast. He's played for England U21s, 20s, 19s, 18s, 17s & 16s, so I think that you are right, GS is trying to persuade him to stick with the three lions.

Its tough on Konsa, who had been so consistent for so long without getting a sniff of a call-up. I would have thought that Ramsey would have been near to a call up, but I guess Gate wanted another look at that young lad Henderson from Liverplop in a friendly :rolleyes:. I guess as Villa fans we will have to be content at the moment, with having more players in the Argentina and Brazil squads than in the England one. ;)

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

He's been passing the ball backwards a lot this season, absolute banker of a pick now.

No surprise re Konsa, who hasn't been particularly good this season and is out of a midtable side on form right now. You have to peak at the right time, and he hasn't. Guehi is ahead of him for several reasons: to tie down his future with England; because he plays every week; because he has 'come up through the system' in a way that Konsa hasn't (Konsa barely played for England youth sides).

The only thing about that squad I find even slightly surprising is the lack of left-back competition to Shaw, but there isn't a lot of depth. Could have rewarded Targett I guess, but he's only been in form for the last month, and I'm not sure how well he fits the system or style of play.

EDIT: Actually, leaving Sancho out just as he hits form is pretty weird now I think about it.

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â