Gentrification, good or bad?

KentVillan

I feel like gentrification is a bit of a catch all term for various things, some of which are good and some are bad. Partly it's just house prices going up and brick-and-mortar shops closing down, and people blame it on their neighbourhood "losing its character" rather than our insane housing bubble and online shopping.

Sometimes it's demolishing a violent, crime-ridden estate and building new housing there, and basically cleaning up an area of a city.

Sometimes it's posh poverty tourists moving into a community and ruining the culture of a place.

Do people have a right to live as adults in the neighbourhood they grew up in?

Just wondering what people's experiences of it are and whether you think gentrification is really a useful way of describing what happens to places

• Like 1

I think there should be something that financially burdens holiday home owners and puts that money into the local community.  Many Cornish villages are effectively ghost towns in the winter. Locals cannot afford to buy house because they are competing with people working in London on far higher salaries.

• Like 1

Don’t know if this falls under this topic but I’m fed up of every town and city looking the same all the time. Glass, steel, concrete. Costa, CEX, Co-op. No matter where you go for a day out most places just look/feel the same. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I absolutely love st.agnes.

Was my childhood 6 week summer holiday.  To this day, I want my ashes spread at chapel Porth beach and my kids to celebrate my life with a hedgehog ice-cream 😍

@chrisp65lays it out nicely. The speculators and parasites are the real villain. The other "gentrifiers" are more visible and get a bad rap, even though some it is well earned. 

But cities evolve constantly. The USA is littered with ghost towns that could have used some gentrification. 

• Like 1

I know locals don’t like it but I completely understand having a second home on the coast.  Holidaying in the UK is far too expensive that it makes sense to buy a place instead of constantly paying holiday rent especially if it’s a place you frequent regularly.  

It’s yours, you can come and go when you want, as often as you want, leave all your holiday clothes and items there without no fuss.  It also means you are holding an investment rather than just lost money on holiday rent.

The locals have no more rights on the properties in that community than anybody else, doesn’t matter whether it’s a main home or second home.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I know locals don’t like it but I completely understand having a second home on the coast.  Holidaying in the UK is far too expensive that it makes sense to buy a place instead of constantly paying holiday rent especially if it’s a place you frequent regularly.  

It’s yours, you can come and go when you want, as often as you want, leave all your holiday clothes and items there without no fuss.  It also means you are holding an investment rather than just lost money on holiday rent.

The locals have no more rights on the properties in that community than anybody else, doesn’t matter whether it’s a main home or second home.

I can’t imagine somebody who can afford a second home on the coast struggling too much with the occasional week’s rental. Personally, I’ve never considered money I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to afford to spend on a holiday to be ‘lost’. That’s a weird mindset IMO.

**** all those young locals who want to live near their families eh. **** the local economy in winter. **** the local kids who need a school to go to. As long as the wealthy save a few quid and don’t ‘lose’ money having to pay for a week at the beach with their family, contributing to a local business. Nice little investment, too as you watch it soar in value, making you richer and keeping the little guy down.

Quite often, even if I don’t share an opinion with someone, I can empathise. I can understand the mindset but in this case, I can’t. I won’t say much more as I’m pretty sure someone else will come along with a far better and more concise response to this, IMO, pretty **** opinion. 

• Like 3

Â