Pre Match Thread

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Looks like we’re doing well defensively, only the top teams have conceded less shots than us over the last 10 match weeks.

No idea how reliable this is by the way.

Including Arsenal who appear to be in first place??🤪

8 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I think this is probably what Stevie will do.  Personally I wouldn't.

The main questions most are asking are:

• Konsa or Chambers?  Its harsh on the latter to drop him, given the performance in the three wins in a row and the fact that he wasn't to blame for Wet Spam's goals, so I might stick with Chambers (injury permitting).  I like the message that, if someone plays well in another's absence, the other doesn't walk back in and you keep the shirt until you play poorly - I think this is better for team morale.  Although, equally Chambers could shift to DCM if DL is out??
  • Who comes in if Luiz can't play?  Most people are saying Sanson but this is not his natural position and Iroegbonum is a DCM who is in the squad and seems to be highly rated.  I prefer to see a player playing in his preferred position, even if he is young and inexperienced and I would like to see Tim get a chance - we aren't going down and aren't getting into Europe.  I think it needs someone to stop Odegaard.  Equally, this could be Chambers if Konsa is brought back in to CB.
  • Does Young start if Digne is unfit, as he seems to be?  Again, for the same reasons as above, I would love to see Chrisene start (did okay against Liverpool in the FAC last season).
  • How do you play the three up top?  I would go with your three as I like the way that Ollie works the back line and think Ings struggles in a lone striker role.  Bailey and Ings (ideally for me as two strikers with Phil or Buendia at 10 behind them) after 60 minutes would really freshen it up and give Arsenal something different to think about.
  • Sanson??  I might give Ramsey a rest and give Sanson a start.  We need to see if he can play 90 a few times before the summer imho.  He has looked good in cameos but can he play 90 (or 75 if subbed) against a decent outfit.  Again, JJ coming off the bench if you need to go for a goal would be a great impact sub.

I would probably go:

Martinez 

Cash       Chambers      Mings      Chrisene

Sanson     Iroegbonum *     McGinn                     * assumes DL can't play??

Buendia        Coutinho

Watkins

But expect Stevie to go with experience - and I can also understand this.

No offence to those players, but if we started Chrisene, Iroegbunam and Sanson we would really be asking for it.

• Thanks 1

On 16/03/2022 at 20:19, VillaChris said:

Gerrard needs to come up with a plan so we don't get exposed down the flanks.

Double stitched leather reinforcement on the side of the shorts should sort that out a treat. 

34 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Be good to see if Gerrard has the cahonies to drop some of the undroppables...

If he believes dropping a bunch of regulars makes the team worse, is it brave to do it or a bit stupid?

Variation, new exciting team sheets and playing time for all is fine but winning is better.

• Like 4

Can't wait for tonight. Both teams have attacking quality that can punish mistakes and even create openings without defensive errors.

I fear for us should we go down first but I'm optimistic we will get something from this, a point at the very least.

UTV!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Really hope The lads there sing Andy Lockheed's song during the match 

Indeed Rob, he was very good in the air, building several successful aeroplanes, and should be saluted.  Andy Lochhead RIP on the other hand was a great header of the ball and also deserves a song.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A performance at home is needed against Arsenal and Spurs. Teams we need to be able to beat at Villa park if we're to progress.

If we play well and it's a draw that's fine. A performance is needed though. 

• Like 4