Pre Match Thread

Demitri_C

Going to be tough this one as Arsenal have been in great form recently, despite their midweek defeat. Last time we played them in October we were pretty dire and the 3-1 score didn’t really reflect the game and it could have been much worse.

However, with a full house and on TV, here’s hoping we can catch them on an off day or perhaps with a hangover from their Liverpool defeat.

I’d very much like to see a change or two so not to be so predictable. Buendia back in for this one and perhaps Konsa?   1-0 win, maybe.

Martinez 

Cash       Konsa           Mings      Young

Ramsey     Luiz     McGinn

Buendia        Coutinho

Watkins

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

This happens nearly every game.

1 - Start off non plused about the side we are facing (except leeds)

2 - venture onto said sides fans forum to see what the craic is.

3 - End up wanting to smash said team!

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

Going to be tough this one as Arsenal have been in great form recently, despite their midweek defeat. Last time we played them in October we were pretty dire and the 3-1 score didn’t really reflect the game and it could have been much worse.

However, with a full house and on TV, he’s hoping we can catch them on an off day or perhaps with a hangover from their Liverpool defeat.

I’d very much like to see a change or two so not to be so predictable. Buendia back in for this one and perhaps Konsa?   1-0 win, maybe.

Martinez 

Cash       Konsa           Mings      Young

Ramsey     Luiz     McGinn

Buendia        Coutinho

Watkins

I think this is probably what Stevie will do.  Personally I wouldn't.

The main questions most are asking are:

• Konsa or Chambers?  Its harsh on the latter to drop him, given the performance in the three wins in a row and the fact that he wasn't to blame for Wet Spam's goals, so I might stick with Chambers (injury permitting).  I like the message that, if someone plays well in another's absence, the other doesn't walk back in and you keep the shirt until you play poorly - I think this is better for team morale.  Although, equally Chambers could shift to DCM if DL is out??
  • Who comes in if Luiz can't play?  Most people are saying Sanson but this is not his natural position and Iroegbonum is a DCM who is in the squad and seems to be highly rated.  I prefer to see a player playing in his preferred position, even if he is young and inexperienced and I would like to see Tim get a chance - we aren't going down and aren't getting into Europe.  I think it needs someone to stop Odegaard.  Equally, this could be Chambers if Konsa is brought back in to CB.
  • Does Young start if Digne is unfit, as he seems to be?  Again, for the same reasons as above, I would love to see Chrisene start (did okay against Liverpool in the FAC last season).
  • How do you play the three up top?  I would go with your three as I like the way that Ollie works the back line and think Ings struggles in a lone striker role.  Bailey and Ings (ideally for me as two strikers with Phil or Buendia at 10 behind them) after 60 minutes would really freshen it up and give Arsenal something different to think about.
  • Sanson??  I might give Ramsey a rest and give Sanson a start.  We need to see if he can play 90 a few times before the summer imho.  He has looked good in cameos but can he play 90 (or 75 if subbed) against a decent outfit.  Again, JJ coming off the bench if you need to go for a goal would be a great impact sub.

I would probably go:

Martinez 

Cash       Chambers      Mings      Chrisene

Sanson     Iroegbonum *     McGinn                     * assumes DL can't play??

Buendia        Coutinho

Watkins

But expect Stevie to go with experience - and I can also understand this.

They played us off the park first half at their ground. Its a tough game for us. Although Saka was poor against Liverpool and odegaard not at his best. Those two plus Martenelli could cause us real problems. 

• Like 1

Last time we played them on a Saturday morning we beat them 1- 0 with Ollie Watkins getting the goal. A repeat of that tomorrow would be wonderful. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a glum looking Michael Arteta. 

Hopefully, Jacobs can show big nose just what he might be missing for England. 

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Last time we played them on a Saturday morning we beat them 1- 0 with Ollie Watkins getting the goal. A repeat of that tomorrow would be wonderful. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a glum looking Michael Arteta. 

Hopefully, Jacobs can show big nose just what he might be missing for England. 

Didn't Traore do quite a nice assist for that goal?

He could make an impact if he's allowed the bench this time. Hopefully we don't get a defender injured after 10 minutes this time.

Will be odd looking at our bench tomorrow and thinking it's actually stronger compared to Arsenal having the likes of Rob Holding, Elneny, Pepe, Eddie Nketieh and a bunch of kids so key is to try to stay in it for 60 minutes.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Do we ever do well playing so early??

We won at OT at half 12 although that wasn't on TV.

Also won at Wolves last season at lunchtime.

It's funny with us and kick offs. Usually for evening/midweek games we're on it home and away (remember we had that amazing run of wins in the odd half 7 slot last season) but Sunday 2pm this season has seen some really flat performances.

Certainly v Arsenal we can't afford to come out flat for first half hour otherwise they will expose us with the creativity they now have.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Traore do quite a nice assist for that goal?

He could make an impact if he's allowed the bench this time. Hopefully we don't get a defender injured after 10 minutes this time.

Will be odd looking at our bench tomorrow and thinking it's actually stronger compared to Arsenal having the likes of Rob Holding, Elneny, Pepe, Eddie Nketieh and a bunch of kids so key is to try to stay in it for 60 minutes.

I can't remember who got the assist but I'll hit You Tube and find out. Would love to see Bertie get some minutes. He's like a magician when in the mood. 

Always lovely to beat Arsenal. 

They move the ball, so quick.....it will be tough.

If they find spaces easily, we could be in for a long afternoon.

Only chance is on the counter.

Edited by TRO

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

They played us off the park first half at their ground. Its a tough game for us. Although Saka was poor against Liverpool and odegaard not at his best. Those two plus Martenelli could cause us real problems. 

Everyone was playing us off the park at that time. I think the Noses would've stood a decent chance!!