Pre Match Thread

Demitri_C

I almost expect Luiz to start anyway, despite those stitches. If not, it raises the question who of the others is the least uncomfortable as DM, or if Gerrard will go crazy with a double pivot.

If this had happened a couple of weeks later Nakamba would have been back and it wouldn’t be a problem.

Gerrard needs to come up with a plan so we don't get exposed down the flanks.

Cash had his worst game of the season by a mile down there as he was exposed against Smith Rowe all night and Young v Saka is a massive issue aswell.

Think it's a cert Buendia will come back in just so he or Ramsey can get across to help out the FBs when out of possession.

Don't think it's a game to start two strikers tbh. Would go 4-4-1-1 and try to get Coutinho around Xhaka as he'll be a liability if he gets an early yellow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Gerrard needs to come up with a plan so we don't get exposed down the flanks.

Cash had his worst game of the season by a mile down there as he was exposed against Smith Rowe all night and Young v Saka is a massive issue aswell.

Think it's a cert Buendia will come back in just so he or Ramsey can get across to help out the FBs when out of possession.

Don't think it's a game to start two strikers tbh. Would go 4-4-1-1 and try to get Coutinho around Xhaka as he'll be a liability if he gets an early yellow.

Cash vs Martinelli could be a painful watch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Fingers crossed they get a good going over by Liverpool tonight and are knackered for the weekend, perhaps a couple of knocks for key players wouldn’t be a bad thing too.

I find myself saying the same thing most weeks but we really don’t ever seem to benefit/capitalise on another team playing an extra game than us. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

I find myself saying the same thing most weeks but we really don’t ever seem to benefit/capitalise on another team playing an extra game than us. 

I remember last year Spurs went to Zagreb, got turned over there 3-0 after extra time late on the Thursday.....and they still beat us comfortably on the Sunday so yeah Arsenal losing to Liverpool tonight won't make much difference really. They were pretty good first half aswell but Liverpool in control since they went ahead.

• Like 1

Looking good Arsenal - they were excellent first half tonight. Look settled with a distinct playing style. Martinelli is a fantastic player who will cause Cash all sorts of issues. Think I’d go:

Emi 

Cash Chambers Mings Young

McGinn Luiz Ramsey

Buendia Coutinho

Ings

Argument for Watkins instead of Ings and Sanson instead of Luiz. 

First half they looked good against Liverpool. Martinelli looks a quality player can see him causing Cash problems this weekend. Usually when a team plays midweek they still look fitter then Villa at the weekend so don't expect any advantage for the weekend. With it being early kick off I think this will be a draw or a narrow Arsenal win. 

• Like 1

I look at Arsenal's squad and yes they have some good young players like Smith Rowe, Saka, Martinelli and Odegaard, but I am very surprised how well they're doing. 

Surprised their defence has been so good with Ramsdale and White added. On paper it doesn't look great but for some reason they've been good at shutting teams out.

Really think we need to start performing better against the sides above us. Man U are the only team above us that we've taken points off this season, that has to change. 

Arsenal have their tails up but this is not a side we are incapable of beating. We've beaten them three of the last four games and they've lost to sides like Everton and Brentford this season. 

Think I'd drop one of Ings or Watkins for this and bring in Buendia or Bailey or even both. We've got plenty of attacking talent to hurt Arsenal, just need to get them on the pitch and get the balance right. Other than West Ham's 2nd goal, I thought Bailey looked sharp and he's quick so could catch Arse on the counter. 

Unfortunately I'm at a wedding so can't watch, hopefully when I check in on the score it will be good news. Just don't lose. 

22 hours ago, Kingman said:

-----------------------Martinez-----------------------

———Cash--------Konsa---------Mings——

—Traore——McGinn---Sanson------Bailey—

—————Buendia——Coutinho———

-----------------------Watkins-------------------------

The all-out attack approach, I like it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TRO said:

We have just over seen 3 games prior to the West Ham game and secured 3 clean sheets and scored 9 goals, acquiring 9 points along the way.....No mean feat.

The West Ham game was predictable, despite us showing good signs for 3/4 of the game.....Their central 2 in midfield have shown before, we have no answer to their strength and composure.... we have seen is so many times, much the same.

Now is not the time, for radical change, or playing around with formations......we should know what we are short of and its not in the squad to fix....so we have to do the best with what we have, and I think, we are.

Arsenal are a different entity to West Ham, and require a different approach, one we could be ok with......we did ok before the West Ham game, lets go back to that and back ourselves to give Arsenal a game.

Yes, we're doing well... small tweaks like Konsa for Chambers can be done, but nothing major.

On 16/03/2022 at 22:24, WallisFrizz said:

Cash vs Martinelli could be a painful watch.

Martinelli is great but I believe Arsenal will look at the opposition and choose to mainly attack down the other flank. Cash usually handles duels like that well, I’m much more concerned about Saka vs Young.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

One for @TRO to keep an eye on - Andy Gray and his son will be at Villa Park for this one.

Presumably working? Thought it was common knowledge he associated himself more with Everton even Wolves more so than Villa? 

IIRC Didn’t he publicly mug us off not that long back?