Pre Match Thread

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I think we have a real chance to beat all of those teams. I’m not saying we’ll win all of them, but winning any individual game wouldn’t surprise me.

plop obviously the most difficult but we can run with any team in the league on our day.

Arsenal are in outstanding from, but their style of play actually suits us better than the likes of West Ham.

Wolves are a mixed bag, I think they are an all round threat on their day, equally strong in most departments.

Spurs are unpredictable, but also picked up form and have the obvious lethal duo.

Liverpool are obviously on fire.

Extremely tough run.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I think we have a real chance to beat all of those teams. I’m not saying we’ll win all of them, but winning any individual game wouldn’t surprise me.

plop obviously the most difficult but we can run with any team in the league on our day.

If we pretend we’re Forest or Boro we have a good chance against Arsenal and Spurs.

I'd like to thump these right on the nose.

Maybe drop Ings for Bailey or Buendia. 

Clearly Sanson is not considered starting material. 😔

1-1

Edited by maqroll

21 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd like to thump these right on the nose.

Maybe drop Ings for Bailey or Buendia. 

Clearly Sanson is not considered starting material. 😔

1-1

Not sure there is justification to drop Ings compared to anybody else, and Gerrard recently talks about building the partnership between Ollie and Danny so I doubt this will change.

Feel sorry for Buendia, he deserves to start but I don’t know how at the moment under the current system with Ollie, Ings and Phil taking the three main spots.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure there is justification to drop Ings compared to anybody else, and Gerrard recently talks about building the partnership between Ollie and Danny so I doubt this will change.

Feel sorry for Buendia, he deserves to start but I don’t know how at the moment under the current system with Ollie, Ings and Phil taking the three main spots.

Yeah, if 2 up top is the future and Coutinho signs a deal, Buendia is an expensive backup. Will he want to be sold?

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, nick76 said:

Mcginn and Ramsey have both been really good quite a lot of the time this season but I wonder if Buendía could start in place of one of them in some of our remaining matches.

Edited by robby b
Typing too fast as usual ! :s
  • Like 1

I wonder about dropping Ings or Watkins and playing two 10s. 

I assume DIgne and DL won’t start so Ash at LB and maybe Sanson in the middle. 

Emi

Cash Chambers Mings Ash

Sanson

JJ McGinn

Couthino Buendia

Warkins 

Some firepower off the bench with Ings, Bailey etc. 

Arsenal will be a threat.....but a different kind of threat to West Ham.

moving forward, we have to be able to meet all threats....That means having the personnel to do it.

Edited by TRO

Drop watkins please. I would go for bailey for watkins as he can cause their defenders all kinds of issues.

Aah young will start but christene muat be knocking for a start. We really could have used targett for this one 🤦‍♂️

There seems to be quite a clamour to drop Watkins in this thread. In my opinion, Ings doesn’t work hard enough for the team to play up front by himself. I don’t think Gerrard knows his best team yet, it is still early in to his stint as Villa manager, he has made a good start. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

-----------------------Martinez-----------------------

———Cash--------Konsa---------Mings——

—Traore——McGinn---Sanson------Bailey—

—————Buendia——Coutinho———

-----------------------Watkins-------------------------

It could be a very busy day for McGinn and Sanson, who both, do not possess  the defensive Nous.

There are just 3 players in that team, who have defensive capability........?

Edited by TRO

Martinez

Cash---Chambers---Mings---Young

McGinn---Sanson---Ramsey

Coutinho---Bailey---Buendia

I wonder. after the hard knocks received at West Ham, we may see Young at LB and Sanson come in for Luiz?

Although I'd like to see that front 3 (Watkins and Ings would still be available from the bench) I feel it's highly unlikely. I still think it'd have an element of unpredictability about it though that could be a positive? I'd just like to see what they played like, the movement etc, stretch Arsenal a bit and move them about, but like I say, it's highly unlikely.

I'll say 2-0 Villa win  :flag: 

Edited by 8pints
he went to barca, he won the league in spain, he went to munich, and won the league again, he's blinking magic, and don't you flipping know, his name's phillipe, phillipe coutinho

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

It could be a very busy day for McGinn and Sanson, who both, do not possess  the defensive Nous.

There are just 3 players in that team, who have defensive capability........?

That front 7 is the future! 

• Like 2

We have just over seen 3 games prior to the West Ham game and secured 3 clean sheets and scored 9 goals, acquiring 9 points along the way.....No mean feat.

The West Ham game was predictable, despite us showing good signs for 3/4 of the game.....Their central 2 in midfield have shown before, we have no answer to their strength and composure.... we have seen is so many times, much the same.

Now is not the time, for radical change, or playing around with formations......we should know what we are short of and its not in the squad to fix....so we have to do the best with what we have, and I think, we are.

Arsenal are a different entity to West Ham, and require a different approach, one we could be ok with......we did ok before the West Ham game, lets go back to that and back ourselves to give Arsenal a game.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I wonder about dropping Ings or Watkins and playing two 10s. 

I assume DIgne and DL won’t start so Ash at LB and maybe Sanson in the middle. 

Emi

Cash Chambers Mings Ash

Sanson

JJ McGinn

Couthino Buendia

Warkins 

Some firepower off the bench with Ings, Bailey etc. 

Nice.