Medical Issues in stands

a m ole

As another incident happens in the Liverpool CL game - what is behind this situation that is clearly happening on a regular basis?

My first assumption is that since people are more aware of health issues, people feel that they can now alert the game officials/staff/players of incidents that always used to occur without drama on television. Having said that, I’ve never witnessed one of these incidents in the stands before, ever.

Whats going on?

Conspiracy theorists welcome so I can laugh at you.

15 minutes ago, a m ole said:

My first assumption is that since people are more aware of health issues, people feel that they can now alert the game officials/staff/players of incidents that always used to occur without drama on television. Having said that, I’ve never witnessed one of these incidents in the stands before, ever.

This is it, they just never used to stop the games. I've never seen it happen either, but stick what, half a million PL fans in stadiums every weekend, and every so often there's going to be a medical emergency.

• Like 2

I don't go to any big games but I see a lot of fans talking about how much cocaine is taken at grounds these days and may cause heart problems or other issues and as like said above, they seem to be more alert to people needing help.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't go to any big games but I see a lot of fans talking about how much cocaine is taken at grounds these days and may cause heart problems or other issues and as like said above, they seem to be more alert to people needing help.

I posted a video in a thread yesterday about this, I think was the Games Gone thread but was a video produced by Tifo of cocaine and fan culture

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

I posted a video in a thread yesterday about this, I think was the Games Gone thread but was a video produced by Tifo of cocaine and fan culture

I was just about to do the same here.

There should be staff in the stands to provide medical assistance, however if the club professionals are called upon to save someone’s life then I’m sure I can put up with the delaying a football match by a few minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

But why do the team medics need to get involved? Is there not professionals employed at the stadums?

Every team has a doctor in duty for fan emergencies, but I guess they could be on the other side of the stadium, or there is a slim chance of more than one incident occurring. I think I've only once seen the medical team for the players get involved though, and it was the first one of these that got major attention, at Newcastle i think. Most of the time the game stops but the teams' medical staff aren't involved. I think it just happened once and people started to think it looked a bit heartless to keep on playing.

Coke has got massively out of hand IMO… so many more people doing it on a regular basis, and if you’re a fat alcoholic screaming at a footballer it’s a recipe for a heart attack

Edit: Obviously not explanation for all of these by any means. Some people are just v unlucky. But I reckon might explain the increase 

Edited by KentVillan

The rules changed didn't they to ensure the game is stopped in emergencies like that.

It helps the medical teams involved get better care to the person, a stand of thousands of people who may not quite realise that somebody is having a heart attack can mean things like gangways become obstructed, people get angry if they don't understand what's going on etc. Heaven forbid a goal goes in whilst somebody is getting urgent care and celebrations cause issues getting the person care. 

So because of the rule changes, we're more aware of it happening. As for team doctors getting involved, a couple things: there's more expectation that they get involved as 30-60k people are stopping their day, the one set of doctors you can actually see, it's comforting to see them do something. Cynically, maybe it's slightly performative - but I'd probably assume the Dr to multi-millionaires is maybe slightly better than the guy in the stands, if it was you you'd want the best care and it looks good for all entities if they get involved, performative or not.

• Like 1

Â