Biggest Gig Regret

JoshVilla

14 hours ago, Pongo's Socks said:

Waited all day to see Oasis headline at V Festival (not really my cup of tea, I'm more into heavy stuff, but would love to say I've seen em). Got absolutely trollied and passed out just as they were coming on. Mates woke me up when they'd finished

i have a 2nd hand gig regret along similar lines

a mate of mine flew over to coachella when dre and snoop played. i asked him how it was as i was super jealous but got himself so wasted that he can't remember a thing

50 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

a mate of mine flew over to coachella when dre and snoop played. i asked him how it was as i was super jealous but got himself so wasted that he can't remember a thing

Wise move by your mate.  

28165a08cf31e2f49341c39aee26b6bd01-02-troll-face.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The nearest you'll get to true unrehearsed spontaneity is from a solo acoustic performer. 

Thinking about it, this is where the impromptu folk music session in the pub comes into its own. Folkies (especially the Scots and Irish ones) tend to have a huge repertoire of songs and tunes in their heads, so you get a lot of "Hey, let's have a go at..(song)". 

Of course, you have to be the sort that likes that kind of music, rather than the 'concert arrangements' of familar recordings that you get in more mainstream popular music. I like both approaches, depending on mood. 

Being magnanimous, I assume that freestyling rap contests might come under a similar heading. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Not me, he was absolutely lovely on the times I met him, even apologised for not coming round for tea. To put that in context, he remembered we'd invited him next time he was in Liverpool, from one tour to the next and even sent Jefferson their manager to look for us in the audience to take us backstage so he could apologise in person.

Very shiny and happy indeed!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

EDIT: Oh, and as for requests, I asked for 'Rockville', which they said wasn't in the setlist, but they'd add it for me. Which they did. 

Therefore:

REM > Siouxsie and the Banshees

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 22/02/2022 at 09:59, Mister_a said:

Oh yeah. Had a guaranteed backstage pass to System of a Down just after they had released Toxicity, but had to give it up as my ma had to go into hospital.

carling/02 academy? I was there (not backstage). Tightest band I ever saw.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Lindsey Buckingham in Liverpool last year. Cancelled.

Randy Newman in Edinburgh this year. Cancelled.

Very much doubt either will be back here again. 

Similarly Faith No More were due to tour the UK but Covid struck and then the tour was never rearranged.

have my doubts they’ll tour the UK again 😭

• Like 1

Took my nippers to a gig they wanted to see in London.

Three US guys that were in some TV show that did music as a side thing. They were flying in, doing the gig, leaving again. Got the kids down to Hoxton, got them in the gig and left them to it.

At Heathrow, a guitar had been damaged and one of them kicked off that it was needed for a gig in 2 hours time and it was completely unacceptable. They got put back on the next plane for writing ‘leisure’ on some entry form, then declaring they were working and wanted compo for a damaged guitar.

I thought it was a lot funnier than the kids did.

I had tickets to see Black Grape in Doncaster of all places many moons ago. Supposed to be the start or near the start of the tour - got put back to the last gig of the tour, great I thought coz it'll be better and they might have learnt the songs by then :). In the end they broke up the day before after a show in London IIRC and cancelled the donny gig. I was there ticket in hand asking which door to go through in Doncaster Dome, the nice receprtionist lady informed me it was cancelled. I laughed at her obviously funny joke trick she was playing on me and then I realised she was not laughing and I wasn't getting my booking fee back either.

Â