Biggest Gig Regret

JoshVilla

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Come on, you big tease. Name names. 

No way! you guys name greats which I’ve never been able to appreciate.  I know I’m well out of my depth with you guys.  I love my little music taste, and I appreciate my family and friends who suffer when I drag them along to gigs although I think they end up enjoying the evening.

I do though go to other music events to experience that aren’t my music tastes because I love live music from small halls around Birmingham to big venues like Sydney’s ANZ stadium where I was 1 of 100,000 people back in 2017 to see Adele.  Also seen U2 there at that stadium, I may have seen Foo Fighters there or that could’ve been in the Qantas Arena.  I’ve seen big shows by Pink and Rihanna, obviously been to Festivals to see mix of artists including the likes of the Prodigy and then more sophisticated venues like Royal Albert Hall and Sydney Opera House seeing people like Sarah McLachlan and Evanescence.

Just enjoy whatever comes up except I can’t get into the classics.

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

No way! you guys name greats which I’ve never been able to appreciate.  I know I’m well out of my depth with you guys.  I love my little music taste, and I appreciate my family and friends who suffer when I drag them along to gigs although I think they end up enjoying the evening.

I do though go to other music events to experience that aren’t my music tastes because I love live music from small halls around Birmingham to big venues like Sydney’s ANZ stadium where I was 1 of 100,000 people back in 2017 to see Adele.  Also seen U2 there at that stadium, I may have seen Foo Fighters there or that could’ve been in the Qantas Arena.  I’ve seen big shows by Pink and Rihanna, obviously been to Festivals to see mix of artists including the likes of the Prodigy and then more sophisticated venues like Royal Albert Hall and Sydney Opera House seeing people like Sarah McLachlan and Evanescence.

Own what you like, don't let these dickheads tell you what you should like ;) - they're well old.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

music is music

• Like 3

Arcade Fire in the old Academy 2 just around the time that Funeral came out. Got invited to go but passed, probably as we'd already been to quite a few gigs near the time. They blew up soon after that, seen them loads of times since but that would've been a special gig no doubt.

• Like 2

I've seen Athlete against my will. Probably my biggest gig regret.  This was the same show that a stampede of menopausal women slammed my face to within about 50cms of Bono's gyrating crotch, and I got heatstroke so bad from standing in the queue that I was violently sick the next day, but no, Athlete was truly the nadir.  At least Doves were the opener, I bloody love Doves.

Other notable regrets:

• Passed on seeing Ryuichi Sakamoto in London, was a bit too expensive for me at the time.  Ditto John Carpenter.
  • Not getting into a 90's Cheese Festival quick enough and missing Sash!, also having to leave early to get home and missing the final Vengaboys track.
  • Hoping this is only temporary and won't turn into full regret, but Yourcodenameis:milo announced a one-off reunion show pre-Covid and it's now been pushed back almost 2 years.  Terrified it's gonna get binned off completely, never got round to seeing them when they were still going.
  • Missing ArcTanGent 2016 as we were in the Netherlands, the year they had Godspeed You! Black Emperor and American Football headline with a Meet Me In St. Louis reunion spot.  Doubly frustrating as that was the last time the festival skewed predominantly math/post stuff, it's been more more heavy/sludge leaning ever since which is fine and all, but it makes this sting a bit a more.

Actually, scratch all that shit, biggest regret is ArcTanGent 2019.  Not that I didn't go, that some uninsured clearing in the woods rear-ended us at ~60mph whilst we were stationary, waiting to make a turning.  On a straight piece of country road, at about 11:00am, broad **** daylight.  This was literally the last turning into the tiny village we were staying in at the end of the journey, having driven the couple of hours up to Bristol.  And we'd had a new gearbox installed the day before, I shit ye not.  Thank **** for the B&B owners, lovely couple who we'd stayed with before, they drove out to pick us and all our gear up once we'd unloaded the car.  The knock-on effect of this was missing the first half of day 1 of the festival, whilst we were on the phone to insurers trying to get a hire-car out to a tiny village in the middle of nowhere.  By the time we got there, we'd missed the tribute show to Dan from Cleft who'd recently passed away.  Furious doesn't **** begin to describe it.  The rest of the festival wound up being pretty much a wash as well, as both our backs and necks were **** from the collision so we spent our most of our time at the back for performances, couldn't stand being in the crowds or the loud noise.  Left early all bar one of the nights.  First car accident my wife and I had ever been in, so we were a bit nervy, sort of felt in a daze for the whole thing, didn't seem real somehow.  Got given a huge hire-car and my wife hadn't ever driven anything bigger than a Honda Jazz at that point, so that was an adjustment.  Said car also had to get towed out of the mud at one point.  Then on the drive back home, had a chunk of motorway fly up and crack the windscreen, so we had to get the hire-car swapped out for yet another one when we got back, and all they had was one of those oversized-shopping-trolley-jeep fiascos, so yet another unhappy adjustment upwards for the missus.

Did I mention the prick was uninsured?  Yeah.  This was a whole **** thing.  He fobbed us off at the roadside with some insurance details that turned out to be something else completely, he was driving some business car from wherever he worked, and all the details were tied to that, he wasn't insured to drive at all.  Kept saying the road was usually clear and he didn't see us, our working theory is that was his daily commute and he was tuned out looking at his phone or some such shit.  He had fully 320 metres to see us and slow down. Fortunately some nearby dog-walkers saw the whole thing, so there was never any doubt as to who was at fault, just took an age for the Motor Insurer's Bureau to sort everything out. Yeah, and as I also mentioned, we'd just sunk £600 into the car for a new gearbox the day before.

Suffice to say, when we got a phone call from whatever legal company it was that AA referred potential injury/liability claims to, I wanted to take this guy to the **** cleaners.  Got our money back for the car (unsurprisingly 'twas a write-off, back was totally crunched in), cost of the gearbox, ⅓ of 2 x ATG tickets, money to cover physio (thankfully no long-term damage was done) and optician (wife is at risk for retinal detachment) and then some.  All told, got enough back to cover everything with enough change to pay for some of the music equipment that I'm presently surrounded with.

Would happily trade it all back to not have gone through that shit, to have enjoyed the festival and to have actually seen the tribute performance.  Real pisser is what with Covid, there's not been an ATG since, so until this year's one goes ahead 🤞and we get back and enjoy ourselves once more, I won't have achieved catharsis, so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Looking back at the Reading lineups from 2002 & 2003 I missed a lot of good bands.  Both lineups were absolute fire.

Did you get to see Greg Puciato shitting in a bag though?

• Haha 2

My biggest Bowie regret

Having to endure the entire set and encore of Tin Machine at the Royal Court in Liverpool. What complete and utter turgid bollocks

Bowie announcing a song and then going 1-2-3-4. You really expect us to believe your band needs counting in?

A special mention for Bowie absolutely murdering Debaser by The Pixies

I was doing security on the mixing desk, the one security position where you can't hide behind a door or move out of the auditorium for a bit of respite

God it was awful

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I have very errmm unique taste in music and not mainstream mostly

See, I'd have thought this was some of our musical threads' motto, certainly no cause for concern!

As a rule, we generally only tend to tar and feather @sidcow (though I'm convinced he secretly loves the abuse).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

See, I'd have thought this was some of our musical threads' motto, certainly no cause for concern!

As a rule, we generally only tend to tar and feather @sidcow (though I'm convinced he secretly loves the abuse).

Oh I just love it alright 

tenor.gif

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

As a rule, we generally only tend to tar and feather @sidcow 

Oh I dunno. There's Pelle and Queen, me and Dylan, Rob and the Beach Boys, Tony and Big Country, Seat and various country acts... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Oh I dunno. There's Pelle and Queen, me and Dylan, Rob and the Beach Boys, Tony and Big Country, Seat and various country acts... 

This is an equal opportunities forum. 

• Like 1

Kind of counts, but I really wish I had been in to Fugazi in 2002, when they did their last ever tour, which culminated in London in November, although they did also do dates in Birmingham and Nottingham, which wouldn't have been impossible for me to attend at the time.

Unfortunately I was an idiot child at the time. Due to their habit of recording basically every show they ever played, though, I have been able to listen to a few of those shows from that final tour. On the flip side, imagine seeing this set list, which was from the Nottingham show

Spoiler

Guilford Hall
Cashout
Downed City
Styrofoam
Full Disclosure
Stacks
Target
Furniture
Oh
Reclamation
Give me the Cure
Waiting Room
Lockdown
Recap Modotti
Closed Captioned
Rend It
Epic Problem
Number 5
Smallpox Champion
Argument
Nightshop
Promises

😩

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

just remembered had the chance to see beastie boys back in the day. load of mates went but for reasons i cant remember, i didnt

I saw them at Brixton Academy as they did their Ill Communication tour supported by John Spencer Blues Explosion and DJ Hurricane back in circa 1995, I don't want to make you feel bad, but they were awesome.

RIP MCA

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

just remembered had the chance to see beastie boys back in the day. load of mates went but for reasons i cant remember, i didnt

I saw them once with Run DMC as a punter and then a few weeks later I was working at this...

Beastie%20newspaper%20clipping.JPG

Nothing you will ever have read in any article gets remotely close to the truth

It's not a regret though, I've been bought many a drink for telling the stories of that night. Me vs The Beastie Boys Security Team (American Psychos) tooled up with baseball bats and CS Gas canisters, They want to get through the door I was working, I wouldn't let them (it went directly into a public area). The mayhem would have been far worse if they'd got through. I won. That story has never been in any article nor have many other bits of that night.

• Like 4

My brother worked as an usher at The Odeon New Street and got his head kicked in when The Beastie Boys played. 

Nice crowd they had. 

Edited by sidcow

Biggest regret definitely going to see Siouxsie and the Banshees at the Portsmouth Guildhall, '95. From what I remember the crowd kept calling for some golden oldie tunes, Siouxsie got stroppy stopped mid tune, yelled at the crowd "this is our new music, you best get used to it or leave'. Most of the crowd either left or moved to the back of the venue.

Â