Biggest Gig Regret

JoshVilla

Rage against the machine was a huge regret for me. Could have gone and seen someone else the first time they played Glastonbury, but no. I also regret seeing badly drawn boy when he was a grumpy drunk, I regret watching the Happy Mondays, they were a mess and I was only really there for wrote for luck.

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

watching the Happy Mondays,

I saw them in 2019 and they were still a mess , but for Rowetta carrying the show  i think I'd have been asking for my money back .. that said the 20 years old in the audience off their faces on some substance seemed to absolutely love the gig 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Rage against the machine was a huge regret for me. Could have gone and seen someone else the first time they played Glastonbury, but no. I also regret seeing badly drawn boy when he was a grumpy drunk, I regret watching the Happy Mondays, they were a mess and I was only really there for wrote for luck.

Happy Mondays secret gig at the old Warrington Rugby league Club. Oh boy that was one pharmaceutically challenged gig, not just the band, pretty much the whole audience too - absolute nightmare

Happy Mondays + Benny Profane at the Hacienda. There was only one dressing room at the Hac so the bands were sharing. Fair play to the Mondays, they came in and I think it was Bez that said, "Look lads, no problem sharing the room, stay as long as you like but some of our mates will be back here after the gig, so make sure all your gear is out of here because our mates are a bit tasty, they won't give a f*** and it'll be robbed as soon as they see it, they even rob our gear"

• Like 2

December 1976. The 'Anarchy' Tour rolls into Leeds. The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned and Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers. Nearly all the other gigs on the tour have been called off in a storm of controversy over the Pistols' antics. I have a ticket for the Polytechnic that night - £1.50. Getting off the bus outside the venue, I bump into a mate, who suggests going for a beer or several. My reply? "Yeah, why not? I can always catch this lot on another day". And I chuck the ticket into a wastepaper bin. 

pistols-7th-december-1976.jpg

• Sad 3

Bought tickets for Nirvana in 1994 at the Aston Villa leisure centre, Sebadoh were supporting (who I adore). Tour was cancelled after Cobain went into a coma in Rome.

We bought tickets for Soundgarden instead which was a great gig.

Another regret was passing on Bowie tickets in 2003 for his Reality tour. Still kick myself for that one.

spacer.png

Flaming Lips in Cardiff, the full show, the unicorns, the crowd walk.

I had a ticket, my mate’s girlfriend decided she wanted to go, so I let her have my ticket.

It was, by all accounts, a deeply religious experience on everyone’s fave gig lists.

I had a ticket.

I guess as the flip side to that, I was out in town with my missus on the night of a long sold out BB King gig. We were walking past the venue and I said c’mon let’s go inside and just ask, you never know. Asked if they’d had any returns and they said yes, literally minutes ago they’d had a single return ticket.

I’ll take it!!!! 

Turned to my lovely lovely lovely missus and said, ‘you’ll be alright for a couple of hours, won’t you?’

• Haha 4

I have very errmm unique taste in music and not mainstream mostly so I’m not a fan of some of the bands mentioned.  I’ve gone the opposite way and travelled thousands of miles to see the bands I love so I don’t miss out.  I even sneaked a work trip between Sydney and London to coincide time wise to see a band I liked, which somehow I got away with but all the rest were at my own expense between US, Canada, UK and Australia venues.  I’m sure I’ve gone into Europe once for a gig but can’t remember who for.  From late teens for twenty years I went regularly and all over the place to see bands/artists I liked. So I don’t think I have a gig regret.

Edited by nick76

Talking Heads. They just never played anywhere remotely near where I was.

The other one is Arcade Fire. I had proper priority access to tickets for just down the road on the Reflector tour. Work sent me to the other side of the world. Least I’d already seen them a couple of times, but they are fantastic live.

would have liked to see Hawkwind, too.

• Like 2

I've got a mate who is very friendly with members of The Coral (he also took some photos for their last album inlay). He sorted out some guest passes for a festival/gig thing in Scotland that they played at. I wasn't too bothered about seeing them, and was a bit busy, but nothing I couldn't have made an excuse for, so didn't go. If I'd checked to line up I'd have seen Teenage Fan Club were playing, and I would have almost certainly got to meet them. Was a bit gutted when I realised. I have seen them before though, but still. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Another regret was passing on Bowie tickets in 2003 for his Reality tour. Still kick myself for that one.

I went to the T in the Park that Bowie was supposed to headline (mostly to see the Pixies reunion if I'm honest though). Unfortunately he broke his arm and had to pull out. He was replaced by The Darkness. I still shudder thinking about it. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

Talking Heads. They just never played anywhere remotely near where I was.

Ah that might be one now you mention it. Birmingham Odeon about 1980, I’d only just started going to gigs and I think A Certain Ratio supported. That one’s a regret I think

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Looking back at the Reading lineups from 2002 & 2003 I missed a lot of good bands.  Both lineups were absolute fire.

I can still remember going out on the piss with a mate the weekend after 05 and he was still buzzing from it

"I saw this band, the names shit but they're incredible, the tent was so packed it was insane, they're called Arctic Monkeys..." 

He was the same lad who organised the KoL academy 3 night, not a clue where he was getting it from, did go see AM in Wolverhampton with him before the 1st album came out, the buzz around them was huge, the good old limewire days

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I have very errmm unique taste in music and not mainstream mostly so I’m not a fan of some of the bands mentioned.  I’ve gone the opposite way and travelled thousands of miles to see the bands I love so I don’t miss out.  I even sneaked a work trip between Sydney and London to coincide time wise to see a band I liked, which somehow I got away with but all the rest were at my own expense between US, Canada, UK and Australia venues.  I’m sure I’ve gone into Europe once for a gig but can’t remember who for.  From late teens for twenty years I went regularly and all over the place to see bands/artists I liked. So I don’t think I have a gig regret.

Come on, you big tease. Name names. 

Â