Biggest Gig Regret

JoshVilla

I was wondering whether this should go in the Gig thread, but thought it'd be good to separate this purely to talk about what your biggest regret was in terms of bands you never got to see, passed up the opportunity, saw them too late etc etc.

Obvious one for me was Prince. I had the chance to see him while I was Uni. However, being a poor student, I couldn't spare the money to go so had to pass. A few years later, once I was out of Uni and back working, he announced his piano tour. Went online as soon as the tickets were due to go on sale, only to find that he'd cancelled the tour as he was unhappy with how much the promotional companies were charging the fans for tickets (very admirable, of course). He'd said that he would rearrange the tour at a later date, and then unfortunately he passed away not long after that. My absolute hero and I never got to see him live.

Had a couple of chances to see Rush when I was younger too that I passed up. Shame.

• Like 1

Mates at 6th form went to see Kings of Leon in Brum Academy 3 back in about 01 or 02, it was before the first album, maybe 250 people they reckon, there's a live recording from there that was a b side on an early single 

That's the kind of regrets I had, soon to be big bands in tiny venues, not too fussed about big bands in big places, I still haven't seen KoL, the 30k people arena £60 a ticket stuff isn't as interesting 

Had tickets for Noel Gallagher teenager cancer Trust acoustic show which is on Spotify but it was from a ropey site who didn't send the tickets and I had to claim the money back from my credit card company 

Edited by villa4europe

Lonnie Donegan. He was playing locally just before his death and I really wanted to see him, kept putting it off as there would always be next time. I put it off again and sadly he died less than a week later. 

Left a gig at the Barrel Organ in Digbeth before the main act came on because I'd wanted to see the support. I can't remember if it was The Sultans of Ping or The Frank and Walters I'd gone for. My mates band had played during the day so we'd had a bit of  a long one in fairness - turns out the main act were Radiohead

Also missed seeing Oasis in a pub in Derby because I'd fallen out with my girlfriend at the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Also missed seeing Oasis in a pub in Derby because I'd fallen out with my girlfriend at the time.

I have a very similar regret. I fell out with my girlfriend at the time so we didn't go and see Oasis and Black Rebel Motorcycle club at Finsbury Park. I think Oasis split not long after that, as did the girlfriend and me.

I also regret not going to watch David Bowie at a festival back in the 90's as I was too wasted at the time.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Left a gig at the Barrel Organ in Digbeth before the main act came on because I'd wanted to see the support. I can't remember if it was The Sultans of Ping or The Frank and Walters I'd gone for. My mates band had played during the day so we'd had a bit of  a long one in fairness - turns out the main act were Radiohead

I saw Frank and Walters a fair few times in the 90s. One time they were supported by Radiohead at the Astoria. 

• Like 1

Not many I can think of.

My friend and I managed to get thrown out of an Editors gig at what was the HMV Institute in Digbeth for reasons that still remain unclear. Alcohol was involved.

That was the last time I saw them (the band I mean, not my mate).

There are a few acts I would have love to have seen but never had the chance. I don’t really count that as regret. There’s a few acts I have yet to see that I want to, but just haven’t done so for whatever reason.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Should have gone to the Black Sabbath final gig at the NEC. 

I lucked out on tickets for that, thanks to my mate Jon!

Regrets - not seeing Dio play a live gig (i did meet him though), and missing out on seeing Deep Purple on the Perfect Strangers tour back in '87 or some such also.

• Like 1

Opting to watch Oasis at Glastonbury 2004 instead of heading straight to see Chemical Brothers.

I lasted 3 songs and numerous tantrums from Liam before making the right choice and shifting quickly to the second stage! Much better night by far

Prince would have a been a good shout , he was playing some small gig ( I think it was the Hackney Empire ) one time back in the 90's  and I could have got tickets but couldn't be arsed  ... not only did he play the giig , but he stayed onstage for about 4 hours just playing an impromptu set for everyone  .. I'm not a hardcore fan so it might not have been for me , but I'd still like to have seen him play  in the flesh 

mentioned it before but i could have gone to the Bingo hand Job gig at the borderlands , had I been more into my music then and had i appreciated how big Out of Time was going to be 

maybe not seeing the Smiths would have been a regret  , I've seen Johnny Marr a few times though so at least got some small consolation

The Jam (more so for the farewell tour as Big Country were the Support act for the London Gigs ) but I was too young by the time they broke up 

guess I'd like to have seen Nirvana , reckon I'd have enjoyed bouncing around in the mosh pit 

Never saw Oasis live , but based on having see Liam and Noel separately , I don't appear to have missed much as both were to use their favourite word " Shite" 

Lastly , would have liked to have seen Pulp , still clinging to a faint hope they might reform for a  anniversary gig or 2  ..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

i got tickets for the penultimate gig there. viagogo'd them and bought tickets for the final one instead for not much more than i sold my tickets for. best decision i ever did

but don't worry, they'll probably do at least another 2 or 3 'final' gigs in the next few years!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I went to both nights. Originally got normal standing on pre release but then bought gold circle ones for both nights. I used the first night to scout out how close I could get and then for the final night was at the front ready to be let in first. Was almost running to front when I got to floor I saw that all of the meet and great lots we’re already there.

Sold my other tickets via other agency. The one for the final night was sold to a Mr Lee Dorrian (Cathedral, Rise Above Records, ex-Napalm Death) which was pretty cool.

I do suspect there will be another “Final” show though, so long as Ozzy can actually make it over. I’m glad I saw Dio with them as well when they were doing the Heaven & Hell shows.

Biggest regrets? Machine Head back in 2001/2 when they played in a tiny venue as their cover band would have been cool. I did contemplate Motörhead on their last tour before Lenny died but didn’t bother in the end. I had seen them before though so not too bad.

Led Zepplin is always going to be the hard one though (obviously), regret not jumping to go to the 2007 show. I did catch Robert Plant on his own a couple of years ago, however, I definitely regretted that :unsure:

• Like 2

A funny story which worked out ok in the end. I remember trusting my two mates Pete and Callum to drive and navigate our way to see The Prodigy at The Island in Ilford back in the mid 90's, needless to say they well and truely cocked it up, and managed to take every wrong turning they could, even going the wrong direction on the M11 motorway (It turns out one of my mates borrowed an old map from his Dad, so old it didn't have the M25 showing on it 🤦‍♂️😂). We also hit a traffic jam due to going the wrong way on the M11. Anyway we eventually got to Ilford and parked the car up, as we walked to the venue we heard some rumbling basslines, which turned out to be Voodoo People, got inside to hear the final minute of the tune and for them to thank the crowd and say goodnight. My mates were not popular that night, it was an allnighter so we got to see Emporium who were good, but not The Prodigy.

It all worked out in the end though as we booked tickets to see The Prodigy at the Empress Ballroom at the Blackpool Winter Gardens, they were supported by The Chemical Brothers and we got to the very front and heard the first live play of their new music at the time which went on to become their third album The Fat of the Land. I drove that night. 😂

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

Â