The depredations of Villa's midtableness

Marka Ragnos

On 18/02/2022 at 21:28, Xela said:

We've been mid-table once in a decade. 

Mid table mediocrity was hitting the heights for us after the rollercoaster ride in recent years! :)

The amount of times I needed to say this over the last few years. 

Midtable is exactly where we should be at the moment. 

• Like 1

Midtable is great to make the team progress and adapt to what the manager wants. It’s also a chance to play youngsters. We need some points to secure safety and then start using the whole squad the is left. Next season we’ll definitely see some new start lineups. Probably 5-6 changes. 

We also need to start selling who we don’t need or have a great value which we plan to replace anyway. 

We’ll need to give Sanson a proper run, Carney some starts, even the fullback and the DM who I can’t remember their names. All of those need to play and show what they can do. 

We’re still in a building process.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 11:45, vreitti said:

John Terry wont ever, that's for sure. 

Terry was nothing to do with Villa when we won the Peace Cup - MON was manager and Albrighton was in the youth team :crylaugh:

You're probably thinking of this

82bb4d76a899201bf59c540301ac0c63-origina

That was "The Cup of Traditions"

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Thanks 1

On 21/02/2022 at 06:01, abdulaziz1 said:

Midtable is great to make the team progress and adapt to what the manager wants. It’s also a chance to play youngsters. We need some points to secure safety and then start using the whole squad the is left. Next season we’ll definitely see some new start lineups. Probably 5-6 changes. 

We also need to start selling who we don’t need or have a great value which we plan to replace anyway. 

We’ll need to give Sanson a proper run, Carney some starts, even the fullback and the DM who I can’t remember their names. All of those need to play and show what they can do. 

We’re still in a building process.

Ashley Young?

I'm afraid that Villa missed the boat in the years before membership of the Premier League started to be based on a franchise for the top clubs, who monopolise the money, and are virtually guaranteed never to be relegated.

Potential gatecrashers are sent on an enervating tour of obscure parts of Europe, to ensure their resources are stretched to the limit.

This protectionist ringfencing is known as the Europa League.

Mid-table is actually bottom of the little league within a league, which consists of the top four plucky losers.

No club of moderate size even pretends they can break into the crème de la crème: the top half is the best they can hope for.

At present Villa's aspiration is to actually achieve the status of midtable mediocrity, and if they achieve it, a big club will buy the team's players who got them there.

Mediocre? Don't I just wish!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I'm afraid that Villa missed the boat in the years before membership of the Premier League started to be based on a franchise for the top clubs, who monopolise the money, and are virtually guaranteed never to be relegated.

Potential gatecrashers are sent on an enervating tour of obscure parts of Europe, to ensure their resources are stretched to the limit.

This protectionist ringfencing is known as the Europa League.

Mid-table is actually bottom of the little league within a league, which consists of the top four plucky losers.

No club of moderate size even pretends they can break into the crème de la crème: the top half is the best they can hope for.

At present Villa's aspiration is to actually achieve the status of midtable mediocrity, and if they achieve it, a big club will buy the team's players who got them there.

Mediocre? Don't I just wish!

Ain’t life great 😁

Teams/clubs feature in league tables for a reason, and usually you finish, where you deserve to.

The top teams get more things right than the rest and midtable teams get some things right and not other things right.

Spending big obviously helps, but its not the only piece of criteria.....The top teams have more drive and determination, they don't settle for excuses...They have a relentless pursuit of betterment.

They don't land at the top by chance, its by design.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 12:09, TRO said:

Teams/clubs feature in league tables for a reason, and usually you finish, where you deserve to. …

… They don't land at the top by chance, its by design.

Well said. I guess my underlying concern is that once we’re in the middle, we almost instantly get complacent. We don’t believe we really merit even middle-tableness, we cut the fuel to the engine, and thus it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy? Something like that?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well said. I guess my underlying concern is that once we’re in the middle, we almost instantly get complacent. We don’t believe we really merit even middle-tableness, we cut the fuel to the engine, and thus it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy? Something like that?

I don't think our owners will settle for that......and they have just appointed  a manager, who won't either.

• Like 1

Â