Young Swindon Fan sends favourite player 26P

hippo

Very uplifting and humbling story - hope they can find him

"Swindon Town are trying to track down a young fan who wrote to say he could not afford to attend matches, but sent in 26p for one of the club's top players."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60400822

Donate Here

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/thisisforjoe

Edited by hippo

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Doubt - because the just giving page was set up in response to the note.

How do you know? How do you know that they'll actually give it to who they've said?

Smells grifty. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, limpid said:

How do you know? How do you know that they'll actually give it to who they've said?

Smells grifty. I hope I'm wrong.

Well they say there are giving to Swindon FC.

I don't know that they will - but that's the same for any just giving. (Or a lot of them)

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I'm kind of encouraged that people still care. Despite 40 years of being encouraged to think only of number 1.

They wanted to buy him a season ticket. Not sure why they targeted £1,000, that would get 4 or 5 tickets. Why does he need £8k+? 

Call me cynical (because I absolutely am) but I don't believe the letter is genuine. Why even would a 6 year old think to sellotape the coins to the letter? It all stinks to me.  I'm all for giving to charity but this feels like the modern equivalent of the bloke in the bunny suit trawling round the pubs with an unmarked bucket every week. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They wanted to buy him a season ticket. Not sure why they targeted £1,000, that would get 4 or 5 tickets. Why does he need £8k+? 

Call me cynical (because I absolutely am) but I don't believe the letter is genuine. Why even would a 6 year old think to sellotape the coins to the letter? It all stinks to me.  I'm all for giving to charity but this feels like the modern equivalent of the bloke in the bunny suit trawling round the pubs with an unmarked bucket every week. 

Well the guy running has said the money goes to Swindon FC to give the lad a day out.

I'm sure any excess will go to a worthy cause.

Like that poor little lad who was murdered by his parents. The appeal raised more than needed -  the excess went to the NSPCC.

Edited by hippo

Â