King of the Midlands

OutByEaster?

It doesn't really matter but from a local bragging rights perspective it's kinda nice. 

FWIW I think we're the best side in the region right now. The league table might not reflect that right now but I think it will by the end of the season. 

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thank god.

I thought Stevie G had been knighted when I seen the title of this thread.

Damn, I thought I was finally getting a thread about myself and to be rightfully honored by this message board. 

I guess like most famous artists, my abilities wont be truly appreciated until long after my death.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was thinking about immediate targets for our team, and with Wolves seven points ahead of us with sixteen games to go I was thinking that being top team in the Midlands would be a good staging post if we're to progress.

It'll be difficult to do that this season, the gap to Wolves is a pretty good size and they're in decent form, but it's not impossible. However I'd really like to see us do it next season and I think in terms of aims and ambitions it's a good starting point.

Here's the thing; we haven't been the top Midlands side in the league now for eleven years - which seems ridiculous and in the words of the Bunk "It makes me sick, mother****er, how far we done fall".

Here's a list of the top Midlands team in the Premier league era:

• 1992-93 - Aston Villa
  • 1993-94 - Aston Villa
  • 1994-95 - Nottingham Forest
  • 1995-96 - Aston Villa
  • 1996-97 - Aston Villa
  • 1997-98 - Aston Villa
  • 1998-99 - Aston Villa
  • 1999-00 - Aston Villa
  • 2000-01 - Aston Villa
  • 2001-02 - Aston Villa
  • 2002-03 - small heath alliance
  • 2003-04 - Aston Villa
  • 2004-05 - Aston Villa
  • 2005-06 - Aston Villa
  • 2006-07 - Aston Villa
  • 2007-08 - Aston Villa
  • 2008-09 - Aston Villa
  • 2009-10 - Aston Villa
  • 2010-11 - Aston Villa
  • 2011-12 - West Bromwich Albion
  • 2012-13 - West Bromwich Albion
  • 2013-14 - Stoke City
  • 2014-15 - Stoke City
  • 2015-16 - Leicester City
  • 2016-17 - West Bromwich Albion
  • 2017-18 - Leicester City
  • 2018-19 - Wolverhampton Wanderers
  • 2019-20 - Leicester City
  • 2020-21 - Leicester City

Now I know you don't get a trophy for it and I know you don't get a place in Europe for it and I know that in lots of very important ways it doesn't really matter, but I want that title back - I don't like the last ten years of that list one bit.

So, does it matter, is it doable this year, next year, is it a decent target - your thoughts please?

It looks to me like went on a long holiday in 2002-3 and disbanded in 2011. 

I don't really consider Stoke, Leicester and Forest as rivals really. I appreciate they are in the Midlands region, but its a big area.

I agree that we should be top of the league every year though! 

• 7 months later...

This villa team doesnt come close to the team ashley young was in previously those were kings of the Midlands 

This is more who is the less shit of the Midlands 

Edited by Demitri_C

On 11/02/2022 at 17:59, Xela said:

I don't really consider Stoke, Leicester and Forest as rivals really. I appreciate they are in the Midlands region, but its a big area.

I agree that we should be top of the league every year though! 

Try asking their fans though, they see it as a "local derby" when they play us. I suppose it's a bit of a compliment. 

17 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Currently top by two points using this metric.

That feels pretty good, right?

3ZBV.gif

Better than being below them without a doubt. I guess it used to mean more in the late 70's/early 80's, when a lot of these teams were in the top flight (although I can live with a couple of them, staying where they currently are) and to those of us on here that are longer in the tooth who remember "The Big Six" in the Sports Argus and "Star Soccer" on Central TV. I do therefore want us to end the season as the top Midlands club again. After all, it would annoy the other clubs no end and it would also ensure that we stay up! ;)

• Like 2

Â