Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

46 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

MaVilla, you don’t rate Robin Olsen?

Olsen is a liability for me, the cross for the first goal against City wasn't impossible to get to and the second he should save.

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, romavillan said:

Olsen is a liability for me, the cross for the first goal against City wasn't impossible to get to and the second he should save.

I think it is difficult to judge a player based on just one game. The fact that he has played for Roma and Everton says he’ll be more than able back up for Martinez

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Ok fair enough but the part in bold is not true. Off the ball he is a **** monster for Roma, he runs himself into the ground every single time he pulls on the shirt, the press starts with him and Mou makes him work to death up there. He's asked to come off and been told to stay on when he's obviously knackered a couple of times,, Mourinho clearly sees him as key to how Roma play without the ball. He also creates space for others and has good interplay in and around the box. He is a lot more than a goal poacher, agreed he's not going to become a number 10 anytime soon but he really is not just a tap in merchant and nothing else.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that he doesn't work defensively. I was strictly speaking as a goal scorer. He's not a tap in merchant, but he's also not somebody who is trying to create for others. Generally, when the ball is at his feet, it's going to result in a shot or loss of possession.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it is difficult to judge a player based on just one game. The fact that he has played for Roma and Everton says he’ll more than able back up for Martinez

Seen him a fair bit for Roma, and as most Roma fans will tell you he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Seen him a fair bit for Roma, and as most Roma fans will tell you he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

That’s why he’s back up then, why do you think we brought him to Villa?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that he doesn't work defensively. I was strictly speaking as a goal scorer. He's not a tap in merchant, but he's also not somebody who is trying to create for others. Generally, when the ball is at his feet, it's going to result in a shot or loss of possession.

If he's in range to shoot he'll have a go definitely, and he's got a sixth sense of where to be in the box which means a lot of his touches are trying to conclude a move with a goal. I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't try to create, if he's got a shot on he'll shoot but if he doesn't he has good feet and finds a teammate a lot of the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Fair enough, I'm not sure we couldn't find a younger and better backup if we really tried though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

A loan to see if he was any good as back up for Martinez. Now the staff and manager have seen him in training and in action they can make the call. I take @romavillan 's views as he has seen him play more than me.

Its Man City so a tough game but based on what I saw I wouldnt really want Olsen in goal for us next season if Martinez got injured.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Ok fair enough but the part in bold is not true. Off the ball he is a **** monster for Roma, he runs himself into the ground every single time he pulls on the shirt, the press starts with him and Mou makes him work to death up there. He's asked to come off and been told to stay on when he's obviously knackered a couple of times,, Mourinho clearly sees him as key to how Roma play without the ball. He also creates space for others and has good interplay in and around the box. He is a lot more than a goal poacher, agreed he's not going to become a number 10 anytime soon but he really is not just a tap in merchant and nothing else.

Seems to be a narrative that was said last summer as well about Tammy when I wanted us to buy him that he doesn’t work off the ball.  It wasn’t true then and hasn’t been true this season either.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

A loan to see if he was any good as back up for Martinez. Now the staff and manager have seen him in training and in action they can make the call. I take @romavillan 's views as he has seen him play more than me.

Its Man City so a tough game but based on what I saw I wouldnt really want Olsen in goal for us next season if Martinez got injured.

If Martinez did get injured, who would you want to see in goal for us next season?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I agree Martinez would have saved both of those - but then not sure who our backup would be of a closer standard. Same as Steer in that 3-0 loss to Chelsea last year when I think Emi would have saved all three.

That said it’s tough to come in for one game vs Man City.

15 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If Martinez did get injured, who would you want to see in goal for us next season?

Maybe this is why we are signing Suarez given his form in goal against Ghana.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Fair enough, I'm not sure we couldn't find a younger and better backup if we really tried though.

Apparently Preston had a young striker last season that the fans love and scored a few goals, a real clinical finisher that can score with both feet and his head. Also, Forest have a striker that is scoring some goals and is absolutely brilliant at holding the ball up, he was instrumental in getting them to the playoff final. Would either of those two work as 3rd and 4th back up to Ings and Ollie?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i would prefer KKH getting a full year at a championship side to continue his development, rather than bit part backup to Cash, tbh.

Exactly this, I don't want our youth players to come into play games for us unless they are exceptionally talented which is very rare.

They should be loaned off to prove themselves playing men's football to get into the team here.

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i would keep Guilbert as backup RB for this season prob, i would prefer we spent our money elsewhere right now (and he can add to the French contingent to help Kamara settle.....).

Or we sell Guilbert and bring a cheapish RB in.

We prob do need a backup left back ur right, but is Young doing another year!?, dunno?

I agree Young isnt ideal, but if he does sign for another year, not sure where else he would be useful, if he doesnt, then yeah, we need another LB.

If we have the usual size budget the owners have given us I don't see why we can't sign a full back of high quality for both sides.

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

If we sign Bassey then that's LB covered and we still have Guilbert and Kesler Hayden who could cover at RB. 

I'm not keen on him and I don't get the love in....

He's played one season in a joke league at 21 years of age, no way would I spend more money on him than the price for Borna Sosa or Owen Wjindal 

• Like 1