The 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

sne

Might as well have a thread for it.

It starts on Wednesday, it's in China, it's gonna be crap, it's gonna be empty stadiums and everyone is going to get Covid.

Latest reports from the Swedish athletes who's already arrived is that the toilets in the Olympic village are clogged and the rooms are only 12°C at night.

GO SPORTS!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Might as well have a thread for it.

It starts on Wednesday, it's in China, it's gonna be crap, it's gonna be empty stadiums and everyone is going to get Covid.

Latest reports from the Swedish athletes who's already arrived is that the toilets in the Olympic village are clogged and the rooms are only 12°C at night.

GO SPORTS!

What do you mean, China have beat Covid don't ya know an Russia never had it.😂

• Haha 1

This is usually close to the football world cup in terms of importance to me. 

I’m not sure I’ll watch a single event. Between the human rights issues, covid and the time difference, I’m not sure I can be bothered. 

If only there was a football world cup this year I could look forward to. Thanks IOC, thanks FIFA. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

I’m not sure I’ll watch a single event. Between the human rights issues, covid and the time difference, I’m not sure I can be bothered. 

If only there was a football world cup this year I could look forward to. Thanks IOC, thanks FIFA. 

You won't be watching the world cup in Qatar either then.

13 hours ago, El Zen said:

World cup in Qatar and this in China in the same year. Just shameful. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

12 degrees at night isn’t that cold is it? I’d assume regular houses are similar with no heating on in the middle of the night?

Do you live in a barn?! :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

World cup in Qatar and this in China in the same year. Just shameful. 

Trouble is, lots of us think we should not allow big sports events in countries we’ll happily buy our gas, petrol, tee shirts and laptops from.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Do you live in a barn?! :D 

I just googled, apparently ideally it’s 15-17 degrees at night. So 12 isn’t that bad really, especially if you have good warm bedding. 

It’s also traditional for Olympic accommodation to be a massive disaster so what do they expect :D 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

12 degrees at night isn’t that cold is it? I’d assume regular houses are similar with no heating on in the middle of the night?

By law in Sweden the landlord has to make sure it is at least 18 °C indoors. 

12 °C is extremely cold IMO.

Just now, Genie said:

18 at night? Wow, no wonder we’re running out of gas 😉 

Sweden don't really use gas for heating I think. It's mostly used for industries here and even that is only about 3% of the energy used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Sweden don't really use gas for heating I think

Info for brits: I think we are about 45% hydro , 30% nuclear, 17% wind and the rest is mixed bag of burning stuff when it comes to producing electricity. And we use that to produce heat in a variety of ways for homes. Mostly heatpumps, Downhole heat exchangers, or remote District heating. The further north you get most detached homes have a fireplace as well.

• Like 2

Just now, Tegis said:

Info for brits: I think we are about 45% hydro , 30% nuclear, 17% wind and the rest is mixed bag of burning stuff when it comes to producing electricity. And we use that to produce heat in a variety of ways for homes. Mostly heatpumps, Downhole heat exchangers, or remote District heating. The further north you get most detached homes have a fireplace as well.

and 100% nesh if you can't sleep at 12°C :mrgreen:

Â