Our best DCM

Keener window-cleaner

Well that 2 pages shows how poor the list is to choose from, either because the player wasn't very good, or more likely because he wasn't really what you'd call a defensive centre mid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I loved Barry but was CM for us. Don't think he played DCM until he left City

I agree with you, I don't think of him as primarily a DCM when at Villa. But CM or CB? He played many different positions, but I remember him spending a lot of time in back when he first started out with us...

If you count him as a DCM, yes, I'd say he's our best of the PL era. I'd like to drop peak-era Barry into today's side. It would certainly solve that gaping hole in midfield.

1 hour ago, TomC said:

I agree with you, I don't think of him as primarily a DCM when at Villa. But CM or CB? He played many different positions, but I remember him spending a lot of time in back when he first started out with us...

If you count him as a DCM, yes, I'd say he's our best of the PL era. I'd like to drop peak-era Barry into today's side. It would certainly solve that gaping hole in midfield.

A peak Gareth Barry would be ideal for our team now, read the game superbly, could have the ball under pressure and could ping passes on a six pence, Gareth Barry was a fantastic footballer. Got a few Man City fans as mates and they said he was the main reason they won their first title.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomC said:

He started at LB for us IIRC Don't ever remember him playing CB

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes Cowans our best ever midfeilder.

There isnt much I am happy about being my age, but having seen Cowans play for Villa (pre Rovers) is one of them.

He was amazing. Some players (like Grealish) can slow the game down when they like, which is impressive but Cowans could determine the tempo of the game faster or slower depending on what he wanted. His intelligence was incredible, he weaved spider webs across the field and could seemingly pass to anyone from anywhere on a crap pitch with a crap ball. He also could score from just about anywhere and often set himself up for goals, which I know sounds weird but he did it!

It is a loss to younger football fans I genuinely feel bad for them that most of his games were pre high quality TV so you cant see them. Ask anyone who saw him play, a truly fantastic player.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

Barry too attacking, the other nominees really a joke. 

It's between Boateng and Richardson, head says Richardson because we actually won trophies with him in the team, heart says Boateng because I actually watched him play at VP. 

Boateng by a nose. 

6 hours ago, WHY said:

A peak Gareth Barry would be ideal for our team now, read the game superbly, could have the ball under pressure and could ping passes on a six pence, Gareth Barry was a fantastic footballer. Got a few Man City fans as mates and they said he was the main reason they won their first title.

8 hours ago, TomC said:

Agree. In that team I don’t think you could really call anyone a DCM but if you did it would be Barry. What a classy group of players (pre Gabby becoming a knob)

Â