Rodrigo Bentancur

Delphinho123

From this summer. Some pro's and cons.

Long-ish read that features the dreaded "Regista" word 

Juventus: It’s a make or break season for Rodrigo Bentancur

Andrea Pirlo was keen to continue his development as a regista; handing the midfielder a huge responsibility in the build-up phase, in particular. Nevertheless, his role wasn’t too dissimilar to the one he competently performed for Sarri. Why did his form fall off a cliff, Max Kellerman style?

Last season, the Uruguayan was bereft of the requisite technical security to execute the role effectively. Unforced errors emerged as a ubiquitous annoyance in his game, often hampering his side’s ability to play out from the back.  His manager, meanwhile, was aware of his player’s struggles.

Allegri’s default system of choice remains unclear for the upcoming campaign. The 4-2-3-1 has been rumoured, but the 4-3-3 has been utilised throughout pre-season up to this point. Nevertheless, Bentancur has plenty of competition in midfield, with Rabiot, Weston McKennie, Aaron Ramsey and, surely, Manuel Locatelli fighting for starting berths this season.

While the returning manager’s possession structure remains ambiguous, it’s clear that Bentancur will not be continuing as the side’s regista.

Last season, Allegri noted Bentancur’s deficiencies in this role while on punditry duty: “In my opinion, Bentancur cannot play in front of the defence. He can play a match, but not more. Rodrigo is very good, but in front of the defence he has a playing time of 1-3 [seconds]: he stops, looks and then passes,” he said (via Il Bianconero).

https://oldjuve.com/2021/08/09/its-a-make-or-break-season-for-rodrigo-bentancur-juventus/

11 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He's from South America. Automatically can't be a DM. Can only play as a 10 according to the experts on here. 

Casemiro is from South America - so who thinks he can’t play at DM?

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If this is the case.

It would suggest that possibly no room for Nakamba when he is back?

As he would see This bloke and Luiz as our DLP/DMs etc?

At very least it would push him further down the pecking order.

Poor Nakamba ffs with the injury at the worst possible time.

• Like 1

https://football-italia.net/juventus-midfielder-bentancur-wanted-by-aston-villa/amp/

Bentancur is not always first choice under Max Allegri in Turin and the Uruguay international has caught the eye of Villa manager Steven Gerrard.

The 24-year-old has made 25 competitive appearances for Juventus so far this season, contributing three assists.

Better option than Weston McKennie? 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Allegri quite likes McKennie apparently and he's been much improved this season. Supposedly he's one of the few players Juve are not looking to cash in on.

But I think they would consider offers for all of their players.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know nothing about him but this sounds really good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigo_Bentancur

That's some versatility. To sign a player good enough to improve our starting XI but also capable of providing cover in so many areas of the pitch would be a massive boon. This is precisely the sort of player any team needs for true depth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm not saying that. I'm talking about eh people who think Luiz can't be a DM even with his excellent play and defensive work 

I don’t think Luiz’s best position is DM but he can cover there when necessary. But being South American does not prevent a player being good at DM.

Â