• Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Coutinho 74)
    • Ings (Watkins 79)
    • Hause (Buendía 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/01/22 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

BT* doing a great job highlighting these poor Everton fans who deserve better, while a number of their fans hurled bottles and lighters at our players for absolutely no reason. Great passion.

Such a one-sided commentary team today - they were willing Everton to score at the end.

This was a very difficult game against a team fired up by a new manager.

They were rough and dirty, and prevented us playing the way we wanted to.

A really good effort and a very good win. One I think we needed.

Buendia MOM; Cash, Ramsey and Digne also very good.

Not Coutinho's type of game, surprised he was not taken off earlier.

We have a bit of steel now.

• Like 4

Very scrappy win and 2nd half we were awful but the win is all that matters. Keeping possession when leading seems to be a major issue with Villa no matter who is manager.

Hopefully they sort out the Everton thugs who lobbed bottles onto the pitch.

Need to go on a good run of results now with a favourable fixture list for the next 6 weeks. 

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

BT* doing a great job highlighting these poor Everton fans who deserve better, while a number of their fans hurled bottles and lighters at our players for absolutely no reason. Great passion.

The commentators on my broadcast immediately started talking about the responsibility of the players to not celebrate in front of oppositions fans.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Everton are very poor. One shot on target all game, they came to tear shirts, elbow and foul.

completely agree, but i was impressed with how we kept our composure despite the thuggery.  And it showed that we handled it well.  As the match went on, they were the more frustrated side and ended up losing the plot just a bit because of their frustration.  The ability to play against bullying was IMO DS's downfall.  Stevie has helped us begin that adjustment and it showed in today's performance.  Yes, we made mistakes under pressure, but we didn't make "fatal" mistakes.  And you could see that most often with arms, elbows, shirts held, and elbows thrown, we just played the ball quickly which nullifies that thuggery.   I was overall impressed despite some silly mistakes.  Gerrard is absolutely making us better.

• Like 1

That turned the clock back a few years, as such relentless battles are almost non-existent, since everyone started to emulate Man City's sideways game.

Even the local fans thought they had been beamed back to the bad old days.

Everton were a lot better than recent evidence had suggested.

Villa's more attacking selection didn't improve their cutting edge much but overall a superb team performance.

Just now, The_Steve said:

Such a one-sided commentary team today - they were willing Everton to score at the end.

All game they were about as unbiased as the ref, who was a total homer. BT Sport as bent as Sky and the BBC mob. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

Thought we were playing Wimbledon the way Everton were hoofing the ball in the second half.

Thought we were playing as Wimbledon the way we were hoofing it second half! 

At the end of the day, it's an away win, with a clean sheet and three points - I have a feeling it's going to feel like a much better result the further away from watching it I get. :)

• Like 1

We won. Certainly had them first part of the game. I though SG had us lined up and made subs the right way and time. We’ve never subbed Watkins off and need to start doing it. I don’t think you can really judge Ings as we were headed to the corner every time when he came on.

speaking of which we tried to slow the game way too early. That was a long time to head to the corner and punt it.

Buendia best player two games in a row. Exciting!

1 minute ago, srsmithusa said:

completely agree, but i was impressed with how we kept our composure despite the thuggery.  And it showed that we handled it well.  As the match went on, they were the more frustrated side and ended up losing the plot just a bit because of their frustration.  The ability to play against bullying was IMO DS's downfall.  Stevie has helped us begin that adjustment and it showed in today's performance.  Yes, we made mistakes under pressure, but we didn't make "fatal" mistakes.  And you could see that most often with arms, elbows, shirts held, and elbows thrown, we just played the ball quickly which nullifies that thuggery.   I was overall impressed despite some silly mistakes.  Gerrard is absolutely making us better.

100%! Their goal was to make us harder to beat, it's still a work in progress, but we are a hard-working bunch and whilst they came to bully, we stood our ground.

Everton really rolled back the years, I half expected Richarlison to do a Per McParland and charge Emi Martinez and claim it was a fair charge. Who was the basketball player they brought in midfield second half looked a real handful?

2 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

The commentators on my broadcast immediately started talking about the responsibility of the players to not celebrate in front of oppositions fans.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

We celebrated with the player who took the corner, mindless commentary. Put the boot on the other foot and they slaughter us. Look what happened when we celebrated against WBA to get to Wembley. A joyous celebration on the pitch was said to be a return to the 70s and 80s dark days. They clearly weren’t there!

Must have been a lot thrown for any to connect - says a lot about a group of people, we all know they're pissed off but to take it out on players is without class, they need to step away from the game if they can't take it.  

Â