• Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Coutinho 74)
    • Ings (Watkins 79)
    • Hause (Buendía 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/01/22 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I think that was a brilliant result. 

Probably the hardest crowd we'll against. Change in the manager, all getting free drinks, the crowd were really behind them. They got into the refs head and it was very hostile. 

We needed to keep the ball better second half but sometimes you just have to grind out a result. 

So true and the best summary so far. 

We were poor second half but that’s probably the highest intensity and effort Everton have put in all season and the atmosphere was superb from the home fans. They made it a difficult game for us. 

To come away with a win is fantastic and massive going into a few days off. 

Hard to pick a MOTM. I gave it Buendia for his first half display but I thought Cash was excellent and Mings was generally good apart from the stupid little mistakes here and there.

Question. Do we need a new striker?

• Like 3

Amazing how many free kicks Everton won by their centre forwards either not jumping for the ball or jumping at the Villa defender rather than the ball.  No idea how Mings got booked for being fouled.  Richarlison didn't even try to get off the ground - he's not looking at the ball at all - his only interest is to either foul Mings or make him miss the header.   Luiz was superb second half.  Won so many tackles.  Was everywhere.

• Like 4

Wasn't pretty but we won. Second half was a bit of a mess, almost. Would have liked some earlier subs but I usually do.

Everton subbing Gomes changed the game in their favor. Gordon was probably the best player on the pitch in the second half for Townsend.

• Like 3

Thought we were playing Wimbledon the way Everton were hoofing the ball in the second half.

Gritty performance and a win is all that matters.

Coutinho not in the game much, but it's about getting the sharpness back and think the Leeds game will be much better for him.

Also think Richarlison is just as bad as rat boy Bruno for theatrics.

• Like 1

I don't agree with everyone saying we were poor...  This was Everton's first game not being constrained by Rafaball, and you knew the dirty fooker Ferguson would have them playing extremely rough to try to get something from this game.  This wasn't going to be a fixture as easy as it appeared on paper, but we had a significant number of chances in the first half and held up well defensively.  Not every game is going to be a 7-2 destruction.  Great win for us.

MOTM:  Buendia - Once again, best player on the pitch.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be as critical of that second half performance as some on here. Everton had a specific game plan of hoofing it long and being extra physical. Even the top teams will struggle to get their game going in that environment. But I do think Gerrard took far too long to bring on Hause. Everton's only threat was aerial/physicality and having three at the back with hause dominating calvert lewin would have completely neutralised that threat and given the confidence to play our game

Just now, Farlz said:

A very important win but my god were we shit. Think we're quite lucky Everton are a terrible team. 

We were far from shit. Thought our application was excellent. We flew into tackles. Everyone put in a decent shift. 

Second half was the worst one we had since SG took over.  Watkins and Mings extra poor. McGinn missing.  Some good interplay between Buendia, Ramsey and Coutinho in the first half, but not much else to be excited about.  Still have a long way to go to be a dangerous side.

Diabolical refereeing display and an inexplicable drop off in our play made the 2nd half very tense. 

Emi2 was dangerous and took his goal very well and edges Cashy as my man of the match.

A word to Gerrard for managing the final phase out very well to frustrate them.

I'd give the job up there to Duncan Ferguson, they showed they are better then what the Spanish waiter had made them.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

This is the thing though, a better team would not be playing the way Everton did and we would have had more chance to control the ball.

Potentially, yes, but it wasn't like Everton parked the bus. A lot of our mistakes in possession were unforced.

Hard fought 3 points, we showed some steel second half to defend Evertons long ball hoofing. Matty Cash was excellent today but in reality when you see how few saves Emi had to make we nullified Evertons threat pretty well.

Â