• Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Coutinho 74)
    • Ings (Watkins 79)
    • Hause (Buendía 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/01/22 at 23:59

I thought we were pretty poor tbh, but our game management showed a lot of maturity. Real lack of creativity in front of goal, rarely strung many passes together.

Ramsey, Cash, and Luiz were all solid. Mings had a bizarre game, a mix of absolute dominance and some silly mistakes.

A better team would have punished us I think. Everton are relegation fodder at the moment, and we should really be looking to put this kind of game to bed early.

But good battle and mentality from our players against an Everton side who’d been fired up by Big Dunc. Just need to show more quality on the ball.

Really good to see the pure effort put in to win that game, you can get all the players you want but without steel throughout the side you wont get far.

Really good team defensive performance that.

Specific kudos must go to the ref today, thought he was excellent, not an easy game to oversee either

Edited by Nigel

Thank **** for that. We’re up to 10th now. 
Everton were filthy, they played in the style of their interim manager, and we’re aided by the ref. We scored from a moment of quality, Digne with the assist to rub salt into the bluescouse wounds. We defended well and were lucky that Everton lacked imagination in attack. 

Still, three points are three points. Well done boys. 

• Like 1

Excellent win. Very scrappy, physical game, in which we battled well and produced the one true moment of quality. We defended really well when Everton upped their game in the second half.

Buendia MOTM for me. He enhanced our attacking play in the first half, and did a hell of a lot of good defending in the second. Very impressed with him today.

Pretty sure that in the Smith era we would have lost that.

Edited by briny_ear

Everton didn't allow us to play how we wanted to play.

It was a gritty game and we overcame a side that were boosted by the loss of Rafa.

Many of us expected this to be a hard game, it was a hard game, but we won.

Lets set our sights to Leeds now. 

• Like 2

Good win, Everton and the ref really made it difficult for us to play our game. I really didn’t feel we were that much in trouble tho. Lot of our players didn’t turn up or wasn’t playing well, but Cash, Buendia and JJ were brilliant. 

ugly win, but I’ll take it 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

A better team would have punished us I think. Everton are relegation fodder at the moment, and we should really be looking to put this kind of game to bed early.

This is the thing though, a better team would not be playing the way Everton did and we would have had more chance to control the ball.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1st half, 2 teams trying to play football and we were the better at it. 

2nd half, Everton realise they can't compete playing football and resort to long balling it ala Wimbledon in the 90s and hoping something happens. 

We dug deep and deserved that because that was awful to watch 2nd half.

• Like 4

Just now, Mantis said:

Make no mistake this was a very tough fixture. Everton were fired up and tried to kick us off the park. Seen us lose so many of these types of games in the past.

We've got a lot of resillence in the squad. We held it together. All that matters was a win before the internationals and we got that.

Energetic game that called fir a solid performance which I think it was for the most part. Defensively good and won the battles when needed. Looked tidy in attack at times without being spectacular. Few sloppy mistakes but they can be forgiven against Everton who don’t look particularly good. Overall can’t complain with a 1-0 away at Everton and was an entertaining match played at a high tempo. Typical English ref performance as in not great but that’s how it is. 
UTV 

Â