• Watkins
    • Coutinho
    • Chukwuemeka (Coutinho 74)
    • Ings (Watkins 79)
    • Hause (Buendía 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/01/22 at 23:59

18 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

To be fair Everton brought us down to their level, but I was annoyed we weren't able to mitigate their tactics better. 

On another day we could so easily have conceded in that 2nd half. I've seen it happen so many times before where we go one up and throw it away and I thought it would happen again, but luckily Everton weren't good enough to capitalise.

Whether you or I see it differently it doesn't matter, we got a much-needed win so I'm happy. 

That’s why it wasn’t awful, because we defended successfully. Everton only managed one shot on target so I’m not convinced this was down to luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

The commentators on my broadcast immediately started talking about the responsibility of the players to not celebrate in front of oppositions fans.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I am also an overseas fan (California). I am amazed folks back in England dont see the bias against Villa by officials and British pundits.

Phil "dark ages" McNulty barely spent a line on our players being attacked. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

We were actually really, really good first half. Stats say we created 7 chances, Everton 0 first half. But can’t seem to perform more than 45 minutes so second half was pretty dreadful, even if we showed some grit.

So defending a 1-0 lead successfully for 45 minutes away from home is “dreadful”? I can’t imagine what words you could find if we had lost.

• Like 4

I agree with those who've said that the three points is the most important thing today. And I guess the 2nd most important thing is the "grit" and "steel" in our team collectively in the 2nd half. 

And for me the next most important thing is my favourite player, Emi Buendía, having a brilliant day! 😃 He must be so happy right now and scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win must be a lovely confidence boost for him (on top of all the confidence and top quality he'd shown already in the last few matches).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Was the 2nd half “awful”? Everton threw everything they could at us, legal and illegal, and brought on a couple of more effective players who caused us more problems than in the 1st. But we defended staunchly and held on to a clean sheet.

That’s not my definition of “awful”.

100%. 

It’s never good for the heart when you are under the cosh away from home but resilience is just as important as free flowing football, anyone that watched/attended the wolves game at home can testify to that. 

What I saw today was 11 guys determined not to concede a goal, it’s seems strange but I find that just a thrilling as beautiful passages of play. 

Buendia was Man of the match for me, as I mentioned in his very own thread he drives the team on.

I thought Mings was good too who made some crucial interceptions and headers and was very unlucky with some dubious refereeing decisions against him.

Cash also very good.

Ramsey particularly bright in the first-half, I am hoping he will link up with Buendia and Coutinho very well from here on in.

Actually I thought everyone played really well, second-half was tough as they made it a battle.

Couple of their players are complete t**** I think Godfrey put the elbow in on Mcginn yet the commentary said McGinn ran into his elbow, yet definite intention from their player.

Their fans are disgusting too, I guess a little like SHA, always living in the shadow of a superior power.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am also an overseas fan (California). I am amazed folks back in England dont see the bias against Villa by officials and British pundits.

Phil "dark ages" McNulty barely spent a line on our players being attacked. 

We do, unfortunately we are used to it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

So are we and we went down. **** them and **** any fans who throw bottles and coins onto the field, including if any of our lot do it. Nasty little cowards.

Someone rightly pointed out in this thread earlier that every club has its minority of idiots and that some of them are horrible but... the last Villa game I attended was Lambert's 1st home league game, which was v Everton. I was in the North Stand near the away fans and quite a lot of them (too many) were extremely insulting and very aggressive. I remember feeling startled and really dismayed by them.

Then after the game there were quite a lot who were still being as offensive and as goading as possible from their coaches as they passed the Villa fans who were walking in the street. 

That mentality is a part of football I just don't like. 

As for the bottle today, although it was 'only' plastic it was full and the lid was screwed on so it was dangerous. It makes me wonder if that could potentially cause a brain haemorrhage and actually kill someone if thrown with great force and if it struck the person on the temple. So I'll be interested to see if the culprit, who was soon arrested by the police, gets some months in prison as well as the life ban... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am amazed you got up at 4 am to watch this ... Kudos to you, I was safely tucked up in bed north of the 49th.

I went to the Everton forum, and they seem to think the ref was biased in Villa's favour. There have been studies done on this, fans tend to thick refs are favouring the opposition.

• Like 1

We will play better and lose, good 3 points against a team who had no interest playing football second half. Thought we may have bought Hause on earlier to deal with their aerial threat, after all this is all they had. Gave Ramsey MOTM, thought he did well all game, where some of the other players tailed off. 

32 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I am amazed you got up at 4 am to watch this ... Kudos to you, I was safely tucked up in bed north of the 49th.

I went to the Everton forum, and they seem to think the ref was biased in Villa's favour. There have been studies done on this, fans tend to thick refs are favouring the opposition.

I didn’t think he was biased either way, just as a team the officials generally got a few decisions weirdly wrong. An unusual number of goal kicks that should have been corners and so on. Just noticeable as normally I think the officials get those almost all right every game even when they are criticised, but there were quite a few today.

40 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Just look at VT every week. The ref is against us, sky is against us, we were unlucky, they were lucky etc. There is a constant lack of critical thinking. It just makes us sound like a small club and takes us down to the level of Baggies and Blues

• Like 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

I normally don’t partake, as most conspiracy theories are nonsense perpetuated by morons, but after that VAR check against Man U, I must admit I changed my opinion a fair bit about refereeing.

All clubs get pissed off with VAR. We have things go our way too

Â