Luis Suarez

Delphinho123

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He's also very good friends with Coutinho and might be worth coming to Villa just to get Coutinho to sign on a permanent deal this summer.  

We already have Coutinho as a permanent player in the summer IF we want him and decide to activate the agreed contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

But, it might mean we lose the very best prospects if they don't fancy sitting round on the bench more often than not, their path blocked by fading superstars of a previous era on mega wages.

I’m not sure of that, the second level prospects yes that would be the case but the very best will get opportunities like JJ. The second level were never going to be good enough anyway.

Can you imagine the heads exploding down the road at the Sty. Signing Digne and Coutiniho has made them  mad, this signing on top would drive them totally insane. 

For that reason, I'm in. 

Also, Sky would not know what the hell to do. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Raise the profile, constantly building for the future.

We utilise Suarez for one season or two seasons and sign his replacement who is also high profile, it makes sense.

Suarez isn't one for the future but he creates a future.

Suarez is a winner, have you looked at his goalscoring record? Coutinho and Buendia would create chances for him, Watkins has been wasteful infront of goal and Ings has missed a few too.

Must admit I'd rather he signed now, Summer seems a weird one considering the story is breaking now!

yes to the highlighted.

I dont get all the drama over the change in transfer policy.

We have a top youth setup now, some good youngish and developing players, but if the club want to have any shot of a top 6 or top 8 finish any time soon, we probably need to mix some more short term signings in, like Digne/Coutinho....and maybe Suarez etc.

To me it makes sense, especially with Gerrard, he wants to show in the next 2 or 3 years that he has kicked Villa on and he is ready to "take his next step on the managerial ladder", however talented our youngsters are, we wont challenge for top 6 or 8 during Gerrards tenure by developing young players only.

I quite like it tbh, we are going for it now and in the next couple of years, then "hopefully", if we can manage it, we can then bring the younger players through in a more successful and high profile team.

to be brutally honest, i think the way Gerrard is trying to do it, is the best balanced approach overall, buy short term experience to get where we need to go, then once we have got there, we can bring the youth through to develop and integrate with the high calibre older players, or if the young players are that good, they can be integrated over the next 12+ months (like JJ, Hayden etc).

Makes sense to me tbh.

I think people are being too dramatic on this “change of policy”. Coutinho and Digne are both class and available in the circumstances - why wouldn’t you sign them?

Suarez does seem a step too far…but equally Watkins and Ings have been shite all season. hail Mary with Suarez and see what he can do? Would only be a short term thing but **** it if he can bang them in great but I wouldn’t want us totally relying on a 35 year old

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its almost like another more high profile manager is leaving his job in 2 years

I wonder what the odds are on Carney joining Liverpool ready for when Gerrard takes over from Klopp.  Just seems like we are becoming Purslow's personal Liverpool fanboy project.

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Hows he been for Atletico this season?

He's 35 in a week.

No idea how he has played in game, haven't seen any. But here are his stats from Wikipedia for discussion.

image.png.d7760e00c971b905543f98630c84135b.png

tldr: he averages ~ 1 goal every two games in one of Europe's top leagues. Astonishing.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Just now, Robbie09 said:

Really don’t like Suarez, would need him to wear a muzzle if we sign him.

You guys are acting like he went round doing it all the time. It only happened twice. Why wouldn’t a star footballer bite a fellow player in order to get an advantage for his team? 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

But, it might mean we lose the very best prospects if they don't fancy sitting round on the bench more often than not, their path blocked by fading superstars of a previous era on mega wages.

I trust the management and the owners to get it right. With the new franchise in the US, the tie up with African academies and doubtless other plans we don’t yet know about, they need the ‘product’ on the pitch at VP to be the crown jewel of the whole enterprise.

As fans we’re all very much along for the ride at this point. 

• Like 3