Luis Suarez

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Quite possibly. The two of them back to back make me seriously worry that the long term plan is in the bin and we're panicking to make it happen this year come what may. Hopefully I'm overreacting, but in the Smith/Grealish era, the club felt measured, composed, and like there was a multi-year project plan up on a wall somewhere. Our business since Grealish left feels like we're throwing shit and money at the wall and seeing what sticks, and I worry about what the backup plan is if the answer is "not much".

Ings was a desperate, rubbish signing. Good player, but not for us. If we could move Ings on for close to what we paid for him, and get Suarez on similar wages, perhaps it's a decent deal, if you ignore who he is as a person.

The counter to this of course would be that it’s a question whether players of the quality of Digne, Coutinho, and Suarez would even be considering “the project” here at all if Gerrard weren’t involved.

This is an entirely different level of quality than shopping in the Buendia/Bailey/Ings level.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Terry too - but we all forgave him.

I don't think it's right or smart to chuck about these kinds of insults. There's no way Terry is or was ever racist, as his teammates would attest, even in court.

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Hopefully I'm overreacting, but in the Smith/Grealish era, the club felt measured, composed, and like there was a multi-year project plan up on a wall somewhere. Our business since Grealish left feels like we're throwing shit and money at the wall and seeing what sticks, and I worry about what the backup plan is if the answer is "not much".

Ultimately that plan failed for one reason or another. Before Smith left, we had been poor for the entire year leading up to his departure. Jack leaving also signalled to the fact that perhaps he didn’t believe in their plan either. We have young players, we are still bringing in young players (Kerr etc), I don’t see any issues with adding in some older stars to see if they can help us push on to the next level. 

(Separately, weird that this feels similar to when Houllier brought in Pires to try and help us out. That was also bonkers)

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 3

Coutinho was probably the best ever signing we have made (in terms of profile and wtf appeal)

Suarez would be the next level most wtf wacky off the wall left field head wobbling mouth dribbling are we in the twilight zone signing we would probably have ever made.

What a window lol.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Quite possibly. The two of them back to back make me seriously worry that the long term plan is in the bin and we're panicking to make it happen this year come what may. Hopefully I'm overreacting, but in the Smith/Grealish era, the club felt measured, composed, and like there was a multi-year project plan up on a wall somewhere. Our business since Grealish left feels like we're throwing shit and money at the wall and seeing what sticks, and I worry about what the backup plan is if the answer is "not much".

Ings was a desperate, rubbish signing. Good player, but not for us. If we could move Ings on for close to what we paid for him, and get Suarez on similar wages, perhaps it's a decent deal, if you ignore who he is as a person.

Yet our 2021 form was one of the worst performing teams that lost the manager his job and we still have lost than we have won under Gerrard.  Maybe the long term plan needed some adjustments.  Our squad is one of the youngest around, we also have some quality youngsters coming through, maybe 4 or 5 older players, quality, with top level experienced isn’t such a bad thing.

• Like 1

I think we have to credit Gerrard, Beale, Lange & Purslow with having some kind of plan that extends beyond this season. If we trust the manager (and I’m a convert) then we may as well enjoy the madness and see how things look when those in charge of Villa turn on the nitro boosters. 

If that means Suarez in and some remodelling of the squad, fair enough. We won’t run out of youthful prospects anytime soon.

What have I missed????  Fookin' Suarez???  I didn't like JT before he came to Villa, but I really hate Suarez.  Just a scumbag of a human, but he's a hell of a player...  Still a fantastic player who will score key goals for us, if this is true.  

He's also very good friends with Coutinho and might be worth coming to Villa just to get Coutinho to sign on a permanent deal this summer.  

Raise the profile, constantly building for the future.

We utilise Suarez for one season or two seasons and sign his replacement who is also high profile, it makes sense.

Suarez isn't one for the future but he creates a future.

Suarez is a winner, have you looked at his goalscoring record? Coutinho and Buendia would create chances for him, Watkins has been wasteful infront of goal and Ings has missed a few too.

Must admit I'd rather he signed now, Summer seems a weird one considering the story is breaking now!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

If that means Suarez in and some remodelling of the squad, fair enough. We won’t run out of youthful prospects anytime soon.

But, it might mean we lose the very best prospects if they don't fancy sitting round on the bench more often than not, their path blocked by fading superstars of a previous era on mega wages.

• Like 1

Just now, ender4 said:

I think the Newcastle takeover has meant that next season is our all-or-bust year to break the top 4.

Yes, I don't think it is a coincidence  that we are doing all this business now, we need to get ahead of the game before Newcastle can catch up. Really don't like this one though.