If you could be a Villa player in any game in history…

chappy

4 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Has to be Peter Withe at Rotterdam in 82.

honorable mention would be Jed Steer in the playoff semifinal 2nd leg against WBA. Or Grealish in the playoff final - captaining a club back to the Prem at Wembley has to be a good feeling even though he’s a massive rocket polisher

Frankly, Withe in Rotterdam is the only correct answer. It's arguably the single greatest moment in the club's entire history. I'd take Morley on that day too.

If they were off the table though, AEG in the play-off final.

• Like 1

Mellberg when we hammered SHA, to get to walk off late on soaking it in. He'd have loved it.

Young when he scored that late winner at Everton. I just remember the emotions of conceding so late and then scoring immediately. Crazy scenes. 

• Like 2

Spink in Rotterdam for the glory and history but as a fan, you want to score in front of the Holte End.

I would therefore be Dalian Atkinson (rip) v Tranmere. What a game, what a header from him and what an atmosphere. One of best games at Villa Park ever. 

10 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Stan Vs Atletico Madrid would be an interesting one

peter withe is obvious because it was the European cup final.

But I'd go with this one.....I was at the back of the holte that game.....the whole ground was rocking...atmosphere...night game against a big team....cracking goal...despite going out on away goals...what a game...what a night 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

How about Phil King against Inter Milan? 

Probably the only game I missed that season so would be nice to go back and score the winning penalty. 

Ray Houghtons goal in normal time in the same game had Villa Park absolutely rocking.

Pagliuca was sick of him at that stage. He lobbed him at the World Cup a few months earlier. 

7 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I would therefore be Dalian Atkinson (rip) v Tranmere. What a game, what a header from him and what an atmosphere. One of best games at Villa Park ever. 

Bizarrely I thought the goal celebrations for that goal was more of relief than joy! The atmosphere was electric early doors but got mega nervous towards the end of normal time. 

19 hours ago, tomav84 said:

this, for me. never expected to play, suddenly called upon, played a blinder

The more I think about it now, the more I get annoyed. Hear me out...

2nd ever professional appearance, in a European Cup Final, as a substitute so not really prepared, and he is man of the match, against probably the best team in Europe. Yet, its hardly ever mentioned in the wider football world. If that was a Man Utd or Liverpool keeper, they would have made a ****' film about it! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary Shaw and I don't care which match (except Forest away in 1983).  Or maybe it should be Forest away in 1983 and hoping that I'd tied a knot in his / my shorts so that when Bowyer tries to pick him / me up I remember to give him a hefty kick to the knackers so that he leaves me alone.

On 17/01/2022 at 21:00, Midfielder said:

I would be Jack Grealish in 2021. And I would stay (fk it, bullet points time)

- stay at the club of my home, my city, as I say it to be

- be assured of game time, likely number 1 on teamsheet

- afterall, they gave me the captains armband and stood by me at times of my own indiscretions

- and be that catalyst to drive forward the club 

- knowing that age 24/25 I have time on my side to evolve with the ambitions of the club and its desire to add to the trophy cabinet - i could help that happen

- to be that modern day Le Tiss, proving everyone wrong that big players can stay where they are and be that anomaly, the one that was even idolised by neutrals of every other club for my career choice

- thus also cementing my place as a first XI'er for my beloved country

- to generally just be a role model overall and inspiration to all young Villa fans

- and be synonymous for life with Villa and all things Villa 

- and at every opportunity, which may only be once every few seasons, because the scum will still be sub-PL, to absolutely play in God Mode when drawn against Blues in the cups and go all out on the pitch to hurt them, with performances that get their idiot fans heading to the exits by half time as the score rises against them

- to take on a player coach role at the club, earning my badges with the very youth I maybe helped inspire, and wondering why, hey, why the hell are so many of our intake called Jack, then realising

- giving something back to the club and maybe even taking up management

- BONUS - I would probably also be more faithful to my stunning "childhood sweetheart" missus or at least end it respectfully if deep down it wasn't working, then whatever I did off the pitch i would at least cover tracks in my love life to ensure no traces made it into the papers or... just be a bit more mature in the least. Likewise with the company I keep over the years, and take more care of my body and how I spent my time off the pitch, afterall, regardless of skill, there's a reason why Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic etc are in such prime physical condition in their late 30s. In fact, speaking of Zlatan, I would probably date a woman like he married, one that did not give a flying ---- for my ego or star celebrity status, earned her own wage and wasn't dependent on me, and kept me in check when I needed to be, not these dumbass vacuous reality TV star bimbos who just want to raise their profile and earn a couple of minutes more past their allotted fifteen. 

So much for a bit of fun.

• Haha 1

Â