Pre-match thread

mottaloo

The team I dislike more than any other...

It all stems from when we looked so good for so long in that first PL season, 92-93.

Is it 1994 the last time we beat them at Villa Park?

Surely this is our best chance...Coutinho off the bench to get a brace and win us the game 3-1.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Hoping to join VT live for this one. We gave the FA cup fixture a solid shot and I honestly thought we were the better side overall. They had the lead and our impetus died heavily in the final twenty minutes, so it went. However we had over 60% possession for the 2nd half a fair way into it. Maybe on another day, as they say, and may that day be this Sunday!

We need to work the keeper more.

I don't actually recall DeGea making that many saves. And those he did were shots from distance.

56 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The team I dislike more than any other...

It all stems from when we looked so good for so long in that first PL season, 92-93.

Is it 1994 the last time we beat them at Villa Park?

Surely this is our best chance...Coutinho off the bench to get a brace and win us the game 3-1.

This.

I hate them far more than I do SHA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robby b said:

Aston Villa v Man Utd, 22 (twenty-two) in a row without a Villa win. I just learnt it's the longest winless home record one side has had against another in English Football League history. Good grief. 😑

David Beckham scored his first ever league goal in that game just to give a bit of perspective on just how long ago it was!

18 hours ago, VBM said:

It was the Alan Hansen "you'll never win anything with kids" line on MOTD after that match. Sadly for everyone else the kids he was referring to were Giggs, Scholes, Beckham etc. They won the league later that year. 

Yeah but we also came 4th, won the league cup and got to the FA Cup Semi Final. Nowadays that would make us one of the big 6.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, robby b said:

Aston Villa v Man Utd, 22 (twenty-two) in a row without a Villa win. I just learnt it's the longest winless home record one side has had against another in English Football League history. Good grief. 😑

i've never bothered to look it up, but i've long suspected it to be the case

Well, we go again and let’s put the farce of Old Trafford firmly behind us. The two new signings in this week will give everyone a lift and the crowd going. Strangely I can see us making it quite a hostile atmosphere. United we’re poor on Monday but we need to start being more ruthless and taking our chances.

Fitness and Covid permitting, I’d start Coutinho and Digne. It will make our game more unpredictable, hopefully making it more difficult for United. I know our record against them is awful but I honestly think we’ll be up for this and take the win.  3-1 or 2-1 win.

Martinez

Cash         Konsa             Mings        Digne

Sanson      Luiz      Ramsey 

Buendia      Coutinho

Watkins

Subs: Steer, Hause, Kessler-Hayden, Targett, Iroegbunam, Carney, Young, Philogene-Bidace, Ings