Pre-match thread

mottaloo

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think it's more psychological tbh TRO.....given some of the leads we've blown at various points in last 20 years there's always a feeling at back of everyone's mind that something will shortly go wrong and it often does. Or ref comes in and gives them penalty.

In a similar period Mourinho over two spells at Chelsea only won once at VP in six visits and they had some fantastic title winning sides in three of those seasons so guess that's the way football works but we are miles overdue a win v them.

I actually think since we've come up we've given them really good games in every single meeting bar us losing 3-0 to them after lockdown (and even then I think we hit the post at 0-0 early on) so I do think the players believe more than previous Villa teams but again we make a rash decision or get something given against us at crucial time and our heads drop more in this fixture than any other (last season's home game a textbook example).

Not questioning your opinion, I think it has validity.

My suggestion was, when you only have some good players and others iffy.....The belief gets tested, and it wanes, when we play top sides.

However, I accept your reasoning, in relation to Chelsea....we do seem to do well in the main,against them.

sometimes, its more than one factor at play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

-------------------- Emi --------------------

Cash -- Konsa -- Mings -- Digne

--------- Luiz --------- Sanson ---------

- Buendia - Ramsey -- Coutinho

------------------- Ings ---------------------

Ooolala

**** that actually looks really good.  Slight concerns over the debutantes fitness to start though. 

I hate them.

When I think of this fixture I just think of them getting a lucky winner and their dickhead glory hunting arse clown fans spilling out on to the pitch to hug the players and high five the ref. 

We need to win this one for my sanity. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We've not beaten them at Villa Park since the early 90's

It was the Alan Hansen "you'll never win anything with kids" line on MOTD after that match. Sadly for everyone else the kids he was referring to were Giggs, Scholes, Beckham etc. They won the league later that year. 

8 minutes ago, VBM said:

It was the Alan Hansen "you'll never win anything with kids" line on MOTD after that match. Sadly for everyone else the kids he was referring to were Giggs, Scholes, Beckham etc. They won the league later that year. 

Yeah.

That was such a special group of academy players.

It will never happen again.

Edited by villalad21

Hoping to join VT live for this one. We gave the FA cup fixture a solid shot and I honestly thought we were the better side overall. They had the lead and our impetus died heavily in the final twenty minutes, so it went. However we had over 60% possession for the 2nd half a fair way into it. Maybe on another day, as they say, and may that day be this Sunday!

Aston Villa v Man Utd, 22 (twenty-two) in a row without a Villa win. I just learnt it's the longest winless home record one side has had against another in English Football League history. Good grief. 😑

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1