Pre-match thread

mottaloo

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Because they have been consistently better than us?

Its also become a 'thing' and we have had chances to win in some of the games, but have bottled it. Usually we just get rolled over.

We've still beaten a team like Chelsea 5-6 times at VP in that period and they've been better than Man. United in last decade.

Also have poor home records v Liverpool and Arsenal but again won v both last season.

We are well well overdue a win. I think if we can beat them on Saturday we'd go on a nice run in the league for next two months given the fixtures we have.

• Like 2

On 12/01/2022 at 12:13, VillaChris said:

Blown about 3 or 4 2-0 leads in that time aswell. Think that dreadful cup loss to them in Jan 2002 when all their fans came onto the pitch started the hoodoo over us. Can remember us being 2-0 up in 2010 when we had Bannan and Hogg in midfield and we folded in last 10 minutes and also were 2-0 up and comfortable in one of the Lambert seasons and then Hernandez came on and scored a hat trick in 15 minutes.

Always something goes wrong even if it's not the ref. Last season Traore scored the cracker and we were 1 up and playing pretty well and then Luiz made a stupid tackle on Pogba and game just changed from that moment.

Ithink you're answering your own question.

For years, we have been an unbalanced side, having a few good players and the rest journeymen......they have had complete sides, in the main, well balanced and an air of intensity, about their play.

We have rarely had complete teams, in the years,I have followed Villa ....Ron Saunders,( had one) Graham Taylor and Ron Atkinson have come close....with Brian Little and John Gregory making a fist of it too.

We have  had gaps in quality, in the main...Martin O'Neill had some very good players in Carew and Young, but again a complete team eluded him.

To have a chance on Saturday, we have to be fired up.....and find that " eye of the Tiger" attitude Andy Gray had.

Ollie needs to watch some of his old footage to see the passion/ desire in the player.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We've still beaten a team like Chelsea 5-6 times at VP in that period and they've been better than Man. United in last decade.

Also have poor home records v Liverpool and Arsenal but again won v both last season.

We are well well overdue a win. I think if we can beat them on Saturday we'd go on a nice run in the league for next two months given the fixtures we have.

We have the ability, in my mind.....its the mentailty, we need to find.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 09:58, ferguson1 said:

McGinn will be a big loss to us make no mistake.

What we need to do is make Villa Park as hostile and electric as possible, like it was when we beat Everton on our return to the Premier League.

Can’t see Coutinho starting but a decent cameo from the bench should spice things up a bit.

SJM gets replaced by Sanson.

McTominay probably replaced by Magic.

I think we have lost less than them??

7 hours ago, TRO said:

For years, we ahve been an unbalanced side, having a few good players and the rest journeymen......they have had complete sides in the main, well balanced and air of intensity, about their play.

We have rarely had complete teams, in the years,I have followed Villa ....Ron Saunders,( had one) Graham Taylor and Ron Atkinson have come close....with Brian Little and John Gregory making a fist of it too.

We have  had gaps in quality, in the main...Martin O'Neill had some very good players in Carew and Young, but again a complete team alluded him.

To have a chance on Saturday, we have to be fired up.....and find that " eye of the Tiger" attitude Andy Gray had.

Ollie needs to watch some of his old footage to see the passion/ desire in the player.

Alluded? Hinted at?? Aha! Eluded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

For years, we ahve been an unbalanced side, having a few good players and the rest journeymen......they have had complete sides in the main, well balanced and air of intensity, about their play.

We have  had gaps in quality, in the main...Martin O'Neill had some very good players in Carew and Young, but again a complete team alluded him.

I think it's more psychological tbh TRO.....given some of the leads we've blown at various points in last 20 years there's always a feeling at back of everyone's mind that something will shortly go wrong and it often does. Or ref comes in and gives them penalty.

In a similar period Mourinho over two spells at Chelsea only won once at VP in six visits and they had some fantastic title winning sides in three of those seasons so guess that's the way football works but we are miles overdue a win v them.

I actually think since we've come up we've given them really good games in every single meeting bar us losing 3-0 to them after lockdown (and even then I think we hit the post at 0-0 early on) so I do think the players believe more than previous Villa teams but again we make a rash decision or get something given against us at crucial time and our heads drop more in this fixture than any other (last season's home game a textbook example).

-------------------- Emi --------------------

Cash -- Konsa -- Mings -- Digne

--------- Luiz --------- Sanson ---------

- Buendia - Ramsey -- Coutinho

------------------- Ings ---------------------

Ooolala

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Like 1

I'd go...

Emi
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Digne
  McGinn --- Luiz --- Sanson  
       Buendia -- Coutinho
                   Ings 

I don't think Luiz is great as a 6 but he's the best we have. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd go...

Emi
  McGinn --- Luiz --- Sanson  
       Buendia -- Coutinho
                   Ings 

I don't think Luiz is great as a 6 but he's the best we have. 

Mcginn is suspended 

Emi
  Ramsey --- Luiz --- Sanson  
       Buendia -- Coutinho
                   Ings 

Subs to come on: Kesler, Watkins & Chuk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Emi
  Ramsey --- Luiz --- Sanson  
       Buendia -- Coutinho
                   Ings 

Subs to come on: Kesler, Watkins & Chuk

All internationals apart from Konsa, Sanson,  and JJ

Drool

Edited by The Fun Factory

11 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

All internationals apart from Konsa, Sanson,  and JJ

Drool

JJ in under 21 squad and pushing on. Konsa overdue a call up. Not bad at all eh?!

Gutted I’m not going to this - the atmosphere is going to be electric. If Man Utd don’t improve on the previous game I can really see us smashing them. However, this is Villa V Man Utd…