Buying Jewellery

Jonesy7211

Couldn't find a topic relating to this, so hope this is the right place.

My wife turns 40 next month, and I know she wants a pair of studded diamond earrings for "fancy". She's been dropping hints for a long time. However.... when it comes to Jewellery I'd normally head into Brum's famous Jewellery quarter, but due to Covid I don't really fancy going in. Does anyone know of and have used any quality and ethical online diamond retailers? I've never previously purchased something like this online. I don't mean to come across as a snob but I don't really like some of the high street retailers such as H Samuel etc, unless it's for something you'd wear day to day. I also think Tiffany's is overpriced for what it is, you're paying for a name. Got a budget of around £2k, so they're not going to be anything like a footballer might wear :) 

35 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

My wife turns 40 next month, and I know she wants a pair of studded diamond earrings for "fancy". She's been dropping hints for a long time. However.... when it comes to Jewellery I'd normally head into Brum's famous Jewellery quarter, but due to Covid I don't really fancy going in. Does anyone know of and have used any quality and ethical online diamond retailers? I've never previously purchased something like this online. I don't mean to come across as a snob but I don't really like some of the high street retailers such as H Samuel etc, unless it's for something you'd wear day to day. I also think Tiffany's is overpriced for what it is, you're paying for a name. Got a budget of around £2k, so they're not going to be anything like a footballer might wear :) 

I have a similar dilemma. It's our ruby wedding anniversary this year (40 years), and I feel I ought to buy her something involving at least one ruby. Trouble is, I know the square root of **** all about jewellery. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have a similar dilemma. It's our ruby wedding anniversary this year (40 years), and I feel I ought to buy her something involving at least one ruby. Trouble is, I know the square root of **** all about jewellery. 

Take her for a curry instead

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Congratulations, that's fantastic.

If you get any good advice please let me know! I'm so out of my depth.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

R-5765941-1502356460-2934.jpeg.jpg

Job done, you should pick one up for less than £20

or there's always the Ladies version

R-4546586-1589730769-6166.jpeg.jpg

Pay no more than a quid

1 hour ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Try looking at James Allen as they do ethically sourced diamonds online. Something like this maybe. 

https://www.jamesallen.com/earrings/diamond-stud-earrings/platinum-halo-diamond-stud-earrings-100-ctw-h-i-si1-si2-item-68012

Alternatively, depending on your wife's tastes look at vintage jewelry. It's usually better sourced, surprisingly your money can go further and it can come with built-in history which some women fawn over. I bought my wife's engagement ring from an antique jewellery shop in Leeds and paid a fraction of what it would have cost if modern. Maybe something like selling antiques.co.uk or vintagetom.co.uk might be good and seem to have good reviews.

Good luck finding something. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Take her for a curry instead

Well she would probably appreciate I was making a personal sacrifice anyway, as she is well aware of my antipathy to the stuff. 

• Like 1

Â