Aaron Hickey

MaVilla

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

It's full of bad touches, he doesn't look quick and there are no killer crosses. That's not a good thing!

The modern full back doesn't really play crosses. The full back is usually playing the ball inside is what most are doing now like Cancelo or Kimmich

TAA is probably the exception as he is a brilliant crosser

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thejoker said:

This would be such a Villa signing (not based on his ability because I’ve not seen him play) - but missing out on him for £1.5m and then paying 10x that amount 18 months later. I’m still not sure what our scouting department are up to. Aren’t they supposed to be unearthing these players when they are bargains?

Problem with this approach is the players often need  time and can also turn out to be shit. For every great player found on the cheap you end up with 5 flops and get what you paid for. 

A Brighton for example could go with this approach and the fans would happily give those bargain players a chance. 

That just ain’t going to happen at Villa and we all know it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The modern full back doesn't really play crosses. The full back is usually playing the ball inside is what most are doing now like Cancelo or Kimmich

Not sure if Kimmich is an example since its a few years since he played back (he took the Lahm path and is playing DM).

Regarding crosses I think its difficult to compare Cancelo and TAA, since they play in two different systems. Pep wants his full backs to cut inside towards the penalty box while the wide forwards keeps the width. Klopp wants it the opposite with full backs keeping the width..

Having seen so far what Gerrard wants tactically, we should probably aim at someone who have some capability to cross, since our full backs keeps the with while the forwards go more centrally. Targett and Cash do attempt quite a few crosses, they are just... how can I say it. Pretty sub-optimal!

Still trust that Gerrard and Lange/whoever supports this get it right!

Edited by MentalM
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But unless I'm wrong it's essential for the system Gerrard wants to play. And his lack of pace and bad touch (in the video) were my other worries, and they're pretty important.

With pace, the last player's Youtube that had a low-pace red flag was Buendia's, and I think it is the main thing holding him back at this level.

Edited by Rolta

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

But unless I'm wrong it's essential for the system Gerrard wants to play. And his lack of pace and bad touch (in the video) were my other worries, and they're pretty important.

I'll put my faith in Gerrard and his professional team to identify players with the right attributes instead of a VT user if that's ok😀

16 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'll put my faith in Gerrard and his professional team to identify players with the right attributes instead of a VT user if that's ok😀

Do as you wish! It's not like these teams of professionals ever make a mistake though. I openly said I was basing it on his YouTube, and my real comment is his Bologna YouTube isn't very impressive. It is only a YouTube though  of course.

Edited by Rolta

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Problem with this approach is the players often need  time and can also turn out to be shit. For every great player found on the cheap you end up with 5 flops and get what you paid for. 

A Brighton for example could go with this approach and the fans would happily give those bargain players a chance. 

That just ain’t going to happen at Villa and we all know it. 

That plus hopefully we are developing our own future stars that can be introduced slowly into the first team with a little less pressure than a player we’ve bought. 

• Like 1

Â